Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How long does it take to recover from a big derby day thrashing?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
After Brighton 1-3 Palace in Sept 2011 (7 games before a Brighton win)

After Palace 3-0 Brighton in Dec 2012 (5 games before a Brighton win

After Brighton 3-0 Palace in Mar 2012 (5 games or more before a Palace win)

Just goes to show that derby day thrashings are probably worth more than a loss of three points to the defeated team....

i still havent got over the 5-0 at smellhurst or the 1-3 at Amex.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
37 shots on goal in the last 2 games ones bound to find the net in the end
I feel we played a lot worse than we did at the Amex and have won games
Still think we're going to meet in the play offs going to be some game/games

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
37 shots on goal in the last 2 games ones bound to find the net in the end
I feel we played a lot worse than we did at the Amex and have won games
Still think we're going to meet in the play offs going to be some game/games

You'd think huh!

I think the boat has gone this season. But I only think we will lose Moritz and Jedinak from the ones we would rather keep. We have a few coming through for next year but I'm expecting more of a mid table season next season to be honest.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
So the indicator is that the losing side will have a wobble of 5-7 games. Well Palace have had their wobble, although I reckon the fact they created a bit of a points cushion might also be a factor. Now that has gone and there's only 3 games left it's very straightforward - beat Leicester and they'll feel they've almost certainly eliminated the Foxes from the equation. Then it doesn't matter what they do against Blackburn and Millwall away if they beat Posh at home on the final day.

Easier said than done. When the wheels have come off and you don't know where the next goal is coming from, let alone a point, its a long haul to the finishing line.
Spoke to a Palace fan yesterday and he gave them 5 points from the last 5 games...1 v Ipswich, 3 v Leics, 0 v Blackburn, 0 v Millwall and 1 v Posh.
I honestly don't think this is too far off the mark as I think the point lost at Ipswich will probably be gained away, they are likely to draw with Leics and possibly beat Posh.
Thats 71 points, which is what I think we will get ( 3 v Blackpool, 1 v Leeds, 1 v Wolves ) but equally, it would be no surprise if Palace got less than 5 points.
Still looks like it will all be resting on the last day.
So all roads will

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Me too, but I'd love to see if there's something in that argument.

There does seem to be something in it. I just did some research of some heavy derby defeats I particularly recall. I appreciate that it's still a very small sample.

Anyway:

Spurs 0-5 Arsenal Dec '78 - (6 games for next Spurs win)
Spurs 5-0 Arsenal Apr '83 - (1 game for next Arsenal win)
Spurs 5-1 Arsenal Jan '08 - (1 game for next Arsenal win)
Arsenal 5-2 Spurs Feb '12 - (5 games for next Spurs win)
Arsenal 5-2 Spurs Nov '12 - (1 game for next Spurs win)
Man City 5-1 Man Utd Sep '89 - (2 games for next Man Utd win)
Man Utd 5-0 Man City Nov '94 - (1 game for next Man City win)
Man City 6-1 Man Utd Oct '11 - (1 game for next Man Utd win)
Everton 0-5 Liverpool Nov '82 - (5 games for next Everton win)

It suggests teams thrashed in a derby game either pull together and show some reliance to get a win very soon (1 or 2 games) - such as Steve Coppell's Brighton side after the 5-0 defeat in Oct '02 - or have the stuffing knocked out of them for a considerable period. An example of the latter is Spurs having lost only twice in twelve games before their mauling by Arsenal in Dec '78, which put the skids on their results for the next six matches.

Clearly, Palace are also going through a period of 'having the stuffing knocked out of them.'

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here