Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How long can You go on?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This face mask stuff is certainly coming more to the fore ...government advice moved a tad earlier in the week ..one of my customers had one on yesterday and what with work distancing I couldn’t hear a word she said

I'm seeing a lot more people wearing face masks, no idea where they are getting them from ? I can't even find a pack of disposable gloves or hand sanitizer anywhere ?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The extent of this furloughing will be pretty much dependent upon how much is left in the Govt piggy bank.

The piggy bank has long been empty. Three extent will depend on how much we are willing to burden future generations with the cost, via government debt (who might have their own pandemic to deal with).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm seeing a lot more people wearing face masks, no idea where they are getting them from ? I can't even find a pack of disposable gloves or hand sanitizer anywhere ?
I got a few in January when I was about 50/50 on whether this would be confined to China or not.

Even then they were not the easiest item to get.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm a one man band self employed, I work in peoples houses.
My phone has not rung for 3 weeks.
I'm ltd company so hoping to see some money soon.
Mrs Chopper is working from home.
I/we will survive for as long as it takes because we have to.
My worry is when it's all over how long will it be before my phone starts to ring again and my workload back up to where I need it to be.
I have built up a good, reputable business but it going to be almost like starting again.
I'm still in the get all the jobs done around the house and the allotment stage.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There hasn't been anything in the piggy bank for decades. It's about how much more they choose to borrow. Which will be "a **** of a lot".

Yes. This will take 30+ years to pay off

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The piggy bank has long been empty. Three extent will depend on how much we are willing to burden future generations with the cost, via government debt (who might have their own pandemic to deal with).

It's an old quote but many many people don't have £1,000 in savings if their hot water tank or boiler goes tits up. So, the government has no money and many of the population don't have the money, how did we get to be the 5th biggest economy in the World ? and, where is the money ?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My worry is when it's all over how long will it be before my phone starts to ring again and my workload back up to where I need it to be.
I have built up a good, reputable business but it going to be almost like starting again.
I'm still in the get all the jobs done around the house and the allotment stage.

All the best ..being self employed and like you having built up a business I can sympathise..I consider myself fortunate in that I work outdoors and am able to carry on ..although I can foresee my business shrinking further down the line

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You need to watch this....

https://youtu.be/NDhMaIMAx3g

Universal Credit may well be a better option than the government compensation schemes if you are Ltd.

Discussed at length on the "Self Employed to get 80%" thread also.

I guess you have an accountant though and have spoken to them?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's an old quote but many many people don't have £1,000 in savings if their hot water tank or boiler goes tits up. So, the government has no money and many of the population don't have the money, how did we get to be the 5th biggest economy in the World ? and, where is the money ?
It's in China.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Partly due to cheap and easy credit, for companies and individuals...........how many of those whose boiler goes tits up and don't have a grand to fix it have a 20k+ car on drive on PCP and a nice holiday on the credit card ?

Very lucky personally, company is in no danger at all and I'm used to homeworking anyway so actually not really been that much different. More oddly, I was expecting to be put 'at risk' at the end of March as my job is being restructured out, but that has now been delayed so situation is a bit odd....I'm carrying on - halfheartedly in some ways - in a job I know doesn't really exist in the near future and need to decide whether to stay and transfer to a new role (I can if I wish) or go as and when the reorganisation is triggered.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Partly due to cheap and easy credit, for companies and individuals...........how many of those whose boiler goes tits up and don't have a grand to fix it have a 20k+ car on drive on PCP and a nice holiday on the credit card ?

Very lucky personally, company is in no danger at all and I'm used to homeworking anyway so actually not really been that much different. More oddly, I was expecting to be put 'at risk' at the end of March as my job is being restructured out, but that has now been delayed so situation is a bit odd....I'm carrying on - halfheartedly in some ways - in a job I know doesn't really exist in the near future and need to decide whether to stay and transfer to a new role (I can if I wish) or go as and when the reorganisation is triggered.
It's something to do with finance? Your job I mean. Lol.

Re the first point yes, there will be a few salesmen missing payments on their Range Rovers before long.

Suppose I can't talk as I have a car on credit but I'm the opposite of leveraged bricks and mortar and credit wise, and it's not a really expensive car, so it's not a big deal.

I know plenty of the people you're taking about.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's something to do with finance? Your job I mean. Lol.

Re the first point yes, there will be a few salesmen missing payments on their Range Rovers before long.

Suppose I can't talk as I have a car on credit but I'm the opposite of leveraged bricks and mortar and credit wise, and it's not a really expensive car, so it's not a big deal.

I know plenty of the people you're taking about.

Yes - Banking (Regulatory Compliance - specifically Risk Assurance in my case). Interesting time for us actually (if Compliance can ever be interesting :lolol:), making sure the organisation is dealing with the raft of regulatory interventions in the right way.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I consider myself to be very fortunate with being furloughed. My company is paying the 20% not only to make our wages up so that we don't struggle but they are paying based on the average monthly earnings of 2019 - 2020. This means that anyone who done overtime last year to boost their income will get more than their basic monthly pay.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You need to watch this....

https://youtu.be/NDhMaIMAx3g

Universal Credit may well be a better option than the government compensation schemes if you are Ltd.

Discussed at length on the "Self Employed to get 80%" thread also.

I guess you have an accountant though and have spoken to them?

Thank you very much.
I have not considered UC due to Ltd Co status so I am PAYE and yes it's all in the hands of my accountant and he is working on it for me.
But I will now look at this and take advice.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As a supermarket shelf stacker, I am one of the lucky ones at the moment - not often one would have thought that. Mrs KZN does transcription work from home which is still going ok too. Am extremely glad I am not still self employed in South Africa as I would now be royally stuffed.

Very worrying times for many and I hope that there is some light at the end of this tunnel for the many whose future employment is now very much up in the air.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As they have said work is to start on the vanity project that is HS2 they must have plenty of money to burn...

Shouldn't we have had an extra £350 million a week to give the NHS since 31 Jan? :whistle:

(Joke before anyone goes off about the "B" word - although the point is that any and every budget including HS2, Brexit and the one Sunak delivered this year might as well be curled up into the proverbial paper ball and lobbed at the bin)

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Hopefully with tax rises rather than austerity.

I would gladly pay a bit more tax to ensure we have decent public services and a well funded NHS
I fully expect tax on self employed to rise to 23 \24% next year Whether you claim or not . I'm still getting work ,but trying to be 100% safe can be difficult . I don't want to claim ,but for safety's sake i may just have too.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hopefully with tax rises rather than austerity.

I would gladly pay a bit more tax to ensure we have decent public services and a well funded NHS

There's plenty who will say that on a messageboard. Too few go through with it at the ballot box

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here