Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long can Alex Neill survive?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
i just can't see it this year, i really feel like this is it. I hope i'm right.

Yep and if we drop some points and Reading, Wednesday and Derby are a point or so behind you'll feel like we're gonna miss out again. It's the nature of being a supporter/ supporting Albion. It's easy to feel like this is it while we're winning!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

theboybilly

I'd like him to stay for another couple of bad results then they get a decent manager in. After that Norwich can umprove all they want as it'll be too late. Its best all round if those teams chasing us keep taking points off each other

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think Neill is as bad as their form suggests. Two or three wins on the bounce and they're right in the mix again with what is not far off a Premier league squad. I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Derby next week and kick start their season.

And that's fine, as I don't think they'll catch us even if that happens.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
People are wondering how he hasn't been sacked yet - parallels to when we wouldn't sack the Finn. Although we kept him out of loyalty and I think Norwich are keeping him due to finances.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We would have to self destruct for them to catch us. I like Alex Neil but his squad are simply not performing for him, I'd imagine any new manager would get a positive reaction from that squad.

Neil is right not to walk as his pay-off will be handsome if they sack him and he has constructed a decent set of players.

Norwich have to decide if there is a better replacement out there and if they want to pay the settlement to him and his back room staff who any new manager would want rid of.

Norwich are unlikely to go up automatically so they are 7 points away from the play offs. Maybe 10 points away will force the board to act

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't think Neill is as bad as their form suggests. Two or three wins on the bounce and they're right in the mix again with what is not far off a Premier league squad. I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Derby next week and kick start their season.

And that's fine, as I don't think they'll catch us even if that happens.

I agree to a point but it is very odd what's happened at Norwich as they looked so good early season. While he might not be as bad as their form suggests, if you look at the respective squads there is no way they should be 18 points behind us.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree to a point but it is very odd what's happened at Norwich as they looked so good early season. While he might not be as bad as their form suggests, if you look at the respective squads there is no way they should be 18 points behind us.

Ah but if you look at the squads of nearly every team, you could say something similar. We were 6th or 7th favourites at the start of the season, so how we are 8 points clear of all but one other club is pretty remarkable. As you say, it is very odd - but just one good result against another play-off chasing squad might just give them that belief that they can compete.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We would have to self destruct for them to catch us

Agreed. I think it is fair to say they are not a threat to us being automatically promoted as, if they catch us, the chances are a number of other teams will be further ahead. To put it into context, we're 18 points ahead of them and dropped 18 points in the first half of the season.

Having said that, I wouldn't rule them out of promotion altogether as they can still reach the play offs and, with the team they've got, they would stand a chance of winning them (especially as many of their players were there when they won the play offs two years ago).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Ah but if you look at the squads of nearly every team, you could say something similar. We were 6th or 7th favourites at the start of the season, so how we are 8 points clear of all but one other club is pretty remarkable. As you say, it is very odd - but just one good result against another play-off chasing squad might just give them that belief that they can compete.

Fair point. Maybe I over estimated their squad at the start of the season but I thought they were second favourites (mainly on the basis that they had a settled squad and manager whereas Villa were making wholesale changes and had a new manager in, especially as I didn't rate Di Matteo). The first couple of months seemed to confirm that view and I think we were four or five points behind them after Preston.

Agree re us though. Maybe we're not a fair barometer to judge teams by as we've over achieved so much this season.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I think this attitude is generally for "other clubs" it doesn't work for your own. Sami out as quick as possible comes to mind!

Must admit I am amazed that in this day and age of "sack now think later" he was not sacked weeks ago. Makes a refreshing change to be honest.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Backpage story of The Sun says Ed Balls gave Neill a new contract in the summer with a clause saying that they'll need to give him a 2m pay-off if they sack him. Would explain why he hasn't yet been replaced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here