Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Before The Fans Turn on Poyet?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I agree with el presidente.

I would add
-any fan who says they (or bloom) wouldn't moan and question poyet even if we get to chritmas without a win is lying.
-accepting no promotion this season (while premature) does not mean they xpect 5-10 years of championship football
-Gus and Tony spoke last summer of a fiver year plan to get to the premier league. As far as my maths shows, we still have a year or two left on that plan. If we don't sign a striker this year, next year we will have a bunch of players leaving when their contracts expire, we won't need to spend big on a keeper or right back, freeing up the money for a striker we don't have this year.

This season's results so far might be deceptive:
-Yes, after two games last season we were on 6 points, but those two teams we beat were relegated. In a direct comparison, we are only down one point (last season we drew away to hull and home to cardiff).
-Last season we failed to score in 15 games. There was a run of three followed by 5 wins in six, there was a run of for followed by a 10 game unbeaten run (seven wins).
-The loss to swindon was disappointing, but look at the team - dunk being given a chance to stake a claim for a starting spot over el abd given Adam's better performances pre-season, a chance for bridge to play 90 minutes, experimenting with vicente up front and barnes on the right, the experiment up front leaving few options in midfield.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Glory and self-gratification.

But they insist - nay, demand - that others provide them.

you are one of the clubs spokemen Alan so anything you say is biased, people pay £ 600 a season to watch the club and just because they differ to your " tow the club line on everything " point of view it does not mean the above which is pretty condascending and childish really.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
you are one of the clubs spokemen Alan so anything you say is biased, people pay £ 600 a season to watch the club and just because they differ to your " tow the club line on everything " point of view it does not mean the above which is pretty condascending and childish really.

You're supposed to be 50 presently. FIFTY. I thought someone on here told you to grow up.

It would be a good thing to follow that sage advice.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You're supposed to be 50 presently. FIFTY. I thought someone on here told you to grow up.

It would be a good thing to follow that sage advice.

You cannot expect to be so condascending of other people's views Alan without any comeback.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Maybe, if you mistake exasperation for condescension, but is the appropriate response a load of nonsense that you've just made up?

As open to others views as always Alan :lolol:

Oct 25, 2003
it's FAR too early in the season to judge, especially as the TRANNY window is still open........I would, however, be concerned if we haven't netted a decent striker by the time the window closes as I think we'll really struggled for goals

to answer the original question, I think if "the fans" DID turn on Poyet, it would be a quite small minority....I think his charisma, coupled with his previous record of taking us from the bottom of league 1 to the Championship gives him a bit more time than many other managers. He's also capable of attracting top quality players that many other managers (without ridiculous budgets) at this level simply wouldn't be able to sign.........Vicente is a prime example

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
How were Reading doing at this stage of last season, out of interest?

2-2 home draw with millwall followed by a 2-0 away win v leicester. 4 points, 4 goals, and were in 5th place after two league games.

Yes. They then lost the next FIVE consecutive matches. These FIVE defeats included losing at ultimately-relegated Portsmouth, at home to both Barnsley and Watford, as well as losing in the cup to a team in the division below.

We need 4 points from the next 4 league games to be in a better position than Champions Reading were last year.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Brilliant thread this. Personally I would settle for play offs or very close to play offs.

Same as last season? - No

My problem with Gus, is not really the style, although I don't like it and find it boring and negative (cardiff excused), but the fact he cannot turn things around or change things when we are struggling.

9 games without a win early season that took us from top to mid table - ended by Barnsley at home

10 games spread over two seasons without a win that took us from 4th to mid table with a handful of goals scored - Hopefully ended by Barnsely at home.

IMO that is not enough for a championship manager. I always say, it impossible to fully judge a manager fully when you win every week like we did in the league one.

The true worth of a manager is how quickly he can turn things around when things start to go wrong. On that level Gus is a complete failure. Twice in teh last year, we have gone on runs that would see most managers sacked.

Poyet has some undoubtly very strong points. He also has some bad poor weak points, but for me his biggest downfall (and I can't see him ever changing) is his inability to "stop the rot" so to speak. If a manager is incapable of completely changing things when things are not going right to get a result, then he never will be a top manager, and thats my fear for Gus.

Look at the results last season Brighton and Hove Albion 2011-2012 Results - statto.com

In two spells last season we went a total of 17 games without winning. A 8 and 9 game league game spell.

Until he can completey change the system when we hit a patch like this, he'll never be more than a league one/championship manager IMO.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Top Six
Reading
millwall 2-2 draw
Leicester 2-0 win
Followed by five losses

Southampton
Leeds 3-1 win
Barnsley 1-0 win
Followed by two wins and a loss

West Ham
Cardiff 0-1 loss
Doncaster 1-0 win
Followed by win draw win

Birmingham
Derby 1-2 loss
Coventry 1-0 win
Followed by loss, draw, win

Blackpool
Hull 1-0 win
Peteborough 2-1 win
Followed by a loss and two draws

Cardiff
West Ham 1-0 win
Bristol 3-1 win

Their table movement over the season:

promotion 2012.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Relegation Zone

Portsmouth
Middlesbrough 2-2 draw
Brighton 0-1 home loss
Followed by a win and two draws

Coventry
Leicester 0-1 loss
Birmingham 0-1 loss

Doncaster
Brighton 1-2 loss
Westham 0-1 loss
Followed by two losses and a draw

Their table movement over the season:

relegation 2012.jpg
(click to enlarge)

My conclusion: The results of the first two (or even 7) games mean very little.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yes. They then lost the next FIVE consecutive matches. These FIVE defeats included losing at ultimately-relegated Portsmouth, at home to both Barnsley and Watford, as well as losing in the cup to a team in the division below.

We need 4 points from the next 4 league games to be in a better position than Champions Reading were last year.

Yes but you fail to mention we would then need to get around 92 points from 40 games to match what they did. Confident ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes but you fail to mention we would then need to get around 92 points from 40 games to match what they did. Confident ?

Reading ended the season on 89 points (meaning they got 85 from 39). We only need 88 points, at the moment, to match that, and currently have 44 games to do it in.

89 points was enough to win the championship in 5 of the last 17 seasons. It was also enough to finish 2nd in 12 of those 17 seasons.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Reading ended the season on 89 points (meaning they got 85 from 39). We only need 88 points, at the moment, to match that, and currently have 44 games to do it in.

89 points was enough win the championship in 5 of the last 17 seasons.

Make your mind up. Your post was the position after 6 games, ie 40 left and we would need 85 from 40 then to make the 89. Confident ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Brilliant thread this. Personally I would settle for play offs or very close to play offs.

Same as last season? - No

My problem with Gus, is not really the style, although I don't like it and find it boring and negative (cardiff excused), but the fact he cannot turn things around or change things when we are struggling.

9 games without a win early season that took us from top to mid table - ended by Barnsley at home

10 games spread over two seasons without a win that took us from 4th to mid table with a handful of goals scored - Hopefully ended by Barnsely at home.

IMO that is not enough for a championship manager. I always say, it impossible to fully judge a manager fully when you win every week like we did in the league one.

The true worth of a manager is how quickly he can turn things around when things start to go wrong. On that level Gus is a complete failure. Twice in teh last year, we have gone on runs that would see most managers sacked.

Poyet has some undoubtly very strong points. He also has some bad poor weak points, but for me his biggest downfall (and I can't see him ever changing) is his inability to "stop the rot" so to speak. If a manager is incapable of completely changing things when things are not going right to get a result, then he never will be a top manager, and thats my fear for Gus.

Look at the results last season Brighton and Hove Albion 2011-2012 Results - statto.com

In two spells last season we went a total of 17 games without winning. A 8 and 9 game league game spell.

Until he can completey change the system when we hit a patch like this, he'll never be more than a league one/championship manager IMO.

I respect your view, but IMO it is players that win matches, not systems.

If you look at the teams he put out during those poor runs he did chop and change, but Paynter and Vokes did not work out.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Make your mind up. Your post was the position after 6 games, ie 40 left and we would need 85 from 40 then to make the 89. Confident ?

Oh no doom, gloom, the sky is going to fall in, the world is ending, think I'll slash my wrists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here