Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Before The Fans Turn on Poyet?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Personally i don't rate him as highly as i did,no plan b and his tactics are so negative at times it's like the old Italian style football.I would love someone like the blackpool boss,least he utilises his best players for 90 mins,gus is a 70 mins gone 0-0 and bring on some attackers to win 1-0.If fit buckley and lua lua should start end of,one winger,one isolated striker and a striker who plays on the right,also two defensive midfielders is to bloody rife in our games as its not needed at home.
Couldn't agree more

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011
The only way Poyet is going to get snapped up, as you put it. By a prem club is if he proves he can cut the mustard with us. A few were sniffing around him last season but the interest tailed off with our finish to the season. The jury is very much out on Poyet, what's good for him is good for us and vice versa, no prem club would touch him with a bargepole at the moment and then you got his mouth. He needs to learn to control that as well.
If he had the cash backing of some of the premiership clubs he would do as good a job as most them. If he had pots of cash to spend here we would be heading for the top. I predict a mid table finish with the current situation.

DBL

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Well as I got the intention of the OP incorrect (apologies DBL) perhaps shit-stirring was a little harsh.

Thank you. I never thought this thread would last as long, however, in one aspect it is gratifying that many on here will back Poyet, even if we never win another game! Whilst the majority appear not too concerned that the poor run has reached double figures. Surprised really that it has taken so many winless games for such a thread to have been posted. If this was a Chelsea or Man U thread, it would have surely been posted within 5 or perhaps less winless games!!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What like backing him with Hoskins(£500k), Buckley(£1m and warms the bench), Lualua(warms the bench), Cms(£3m and does not score), Vicente(god knows how much in wages £20k a week???,always injured), Sparrow, Harley, Vincelot.....Jesus how much backing does this guy want???..He has been backed more than any manager since Mullery ffs.
That post raises an interesting point. Take out Sparrow who was signed before last summer, and all those were signed last year. With the exception of Vicente, none of the other six, had top flight experience. All were unproven at this level. All were signed to fit Gus' style of play, yet none could be called a success, although I'm still hopeful for more than a couple of them.

Fast forward a year, we have signed 4 players, all with top flight experience. We have not signed one unproven player.

You don't get a much bigger swing in transfer policy than that?

Any ideas anyone?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
The only way Poyet is going to get snapped up, as you put it. By a prem club is if he proves he can cut the mustard with us. A few were sniffing around him last season but the interest tailed off with our finish to the season. The jury is very much out on Poyet, what's good for him is good for us and vice versa, no prem club would touch him with a bargepole at the moment and then you got his mouth. He needs to learn to control that as well.

Agree with what you say Poyets main week point is that he does accept that he makes mistakes,if he had let McSmudger go to reading earlier in the year he could have banked the money saved some wages and used the cash to sign a striker for this season.Some of us could see by december last season that McSmudger was not going to cut the mustard,here we are in august 3 games no goals .And we had a very poor last 10 games of last season

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Despite tailing off last season, the season tickets were snapped up when the seats became available and a new waiting list has started. As for controlling his mouth, football needs characters and the 'mouthy' or controversial managers get just as many jobs as the polite quiet types do.

Lol...Holloway could be classed as mouthy at the very least

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thank you. I never thought this thread would last as long, however, in one aspect it is gratifying that many on here will back Poyet, even if we never win another game! Whilst the majority appear not too concerned that the poor run has reached double figures. Surprised really that it has taken so many winless games for such a thread to have been posted. If this was a Chelsea or Man U thread, it would have surely been posted within 5 or perhaps less winless games!!

still waiting for yur top ten ..yawn

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Personally i don't rate him as highly as i did,no plan b and his tactics are so negative at times it's like the old Italian style football.I would love someone like the blackpool boss,least he utilises his best players for 90 mins,gus is a 70 mins gone 0-0 and bring on some attackers to win 1-0.If fit buckley and lua lua should start end of,one winger,one isolated striker and a striker who plays on the right,also two defensive midfielders is to bloody rife in our games as its not needed at home.

I think we do have Plan B - what was Vokes doing last season (I am still not sure what Paynter was doing) and we are looking for a hold up forward. And what about Vicente as striker - that looks a plan b to me (I wish it were plan z - but that is anothe matter).

Gus is a make the opposition chase for 70 minutes which will create the spaces for the last 20 minutes type of manager. The problem at this level is that other teams like Cardiff are also adept at holding the ball so it makes it harder. Let's see if Barnsley can do it.

But in any case - we always have a game changing winger on the pitch.

Good post by the way.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Agree with what you say Poyets main week point is that he does accept that he makes mistakes,if he had let McSmudger go to reading earlier in the year he could have banked the money saved some wages and used the cash to sign a striker for this season.Some of us could see by december last season that McSmudger was not going to cut the mustard,here we are in august 3 games no goals .And we had a very poor last 10 games of last season

With readings offer of 3.5m and with cardiff offerimg close to a mill for nooone thats say 4.5m for a really f***ing GOOD STRIKER :eek:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Spot on Kev, (But i don't know you or your ex missus so i can't comment on that!)
I like the fact some fans can still keep it real and actually stand back from the hype and tell people as it actually is.

:thumbsup:

If Poyet wants to get a messiah status from me, (and i am sure he does!) he needs to be seen to be improving as a manager and coach, i haven't seen that yet. If i was TB (i am not) i would like to see him getting goals from CMS first, before giving him more cash to splash, as you can waste so much on your front line.

uou are sure he wants messiah status?...me thinks your pushing that one a bit too far...and hey dont expect it to be all one way traffic...people can say positive things about him without thinking he is the best thing since sliced bread

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Well I am only counting two winless games - so we don't look so good.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
BTW people dont forget that dark period last year from Palace onwards (well Leeds) where we didnt win got NINE games and he still was in a job...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Last season we were sometimes referred to as the Arsenal of the Championship. Perhaps this season we are taking after them even more - exceptionally well run club reluctant to spend the same serious sums of money as their competitors, a manager who plays attractive football but the team often fails to turn possession into goals, etc, etc. We even have a talisman who's invariably injured (a la Van Persie before last season). Talking about some fans possibly turning on Poyet reminds me how ridiculous it was last season when some Arsenal fans wanted to see the back of Wenger.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
If he had the cash backing of some of the premiership clubs he would do as good a job as most them. If he had pots of cash to spend here we would be heading for the top. I predict a mid table finish with the current situation.

Mid table? don`t tell Tony, if you do Gus will be down the road tonight, whats the point in signing Bridge -Kuscak -Bruno and crofty and then settling for mid table,makes no sense

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here