Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Before The Fans Turn on Poyet?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
There seems to be a few people here claiming an awful 10 game run, which would include games at the end of last season which were complete dead rubbers after we had lost the playoff place.

I wonder how those same people saw the 4 games without a win at the end of 2010/11... did they not matter because they were dead rubbers, or were they a sign that actually Southampton were catching us and we were declining under Poyet?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Slade lost the plot. It was easy for the fans to turn on him just like they had previously done with Mark McGhee , Dean Wilkins and Micky Adams. Poyet is different mustard to who has been in the managerial seat for a long while.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There seems to be a few people here claiming an awful 10 game run, which would include games at the end of last season which were complete dead rubbers after we had lost the playoff place.

I wonder how those same people saw the 4 games without a win at the end of 2010/11... did they not matter because they were dead rubbers, or were they a sign that actually Southampton were catching us and we were declining under Poyet?

Southampton made a big issue of it , finishing 3 points behind us in the final table. So nothing to do with winning promotion in MARCH and confirmed as CHAMPIONS with another 4 games remaining ? After the clobbering at Upton Park the season was over as far as the play offs were concerned.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Southampton made a big issue of it , finishing 3 points behind us in the final table. So nothing to do with winning promotion in MARCH and confirmed as CHAMPIONS with another 4 games remaining ? After the clobbering at Upton Park the season was over as far as the play offs were concerned.

If I'm reading you right, I agree. The 4 games after we were champions meant nothing as we'd already won it. Similarly though, the 3 games after we were out of the playoff picture are also completely irrelevant. Our form book should only really be about the first 3 games this season.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Who's asked for that. Has anyone actually said Gus should be booted out now?

Calm down dear, If you read my post (in which I do not call for Gus to be booted out) & read the actual thread title How Long Before The Fans Turn on Poyet? before you post you might understand things a little bit better.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If I'm reading you right, I agree. The 4 games after we were champions meant nothing as we'd already won it. Similarly though, the 3 games after we were out of the playoff picture are also completely irrelevant. Our form book should only really be about the first 3 games this season.

Exactly , I consider our form book should only be about the league games this season. It's not as if we are in a position like Palace who were consistently crap for the 2nd half of last season and started off in a similar fashion with a currently weaker squad.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Calm down dear, If you read my post (in which I do not call for Gus to be booted out) & read the actual thread title How Long Before The Fans Turn on Poyet? before you post you might understand things a little bit better.
You've lost me?!?!? Where did I say you or anyone had asked for Gus to be booted out? That's the point they haven't, the OP merely asked as you put in bold, How Long before fans turn on Poyet, and you tell me that you do not call for Gus to be booted out. Didn't say you did.

The OP did not ask for Gus to be booted out, in fact I don't think anyone has said that, despite a few posters saying they have.

The OP asked what I think is a fair question, which was how long before fans turn on Poyet.

You're first line was
How anyone can call for El Gus to be booted out is beyond me.....
and I'm merely pointing out with no one has. At least not in this thread.

Sorry, I think you've completely got hold of the wrong end of the stick there. Maybe it's you who need to read what's posted a little better. :lol:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Here's a hypothetical. Let's say we continue to play as we did against Chelsea, Hull and Cardiff and we still don't get a win before Christmas.

Even in those circumstances I wouldn't be calling for Gus to go. Yes, of course it's all about winning, and no one likes a winless run, but you need to look at the bigger picture: the progress this club has made under Gus, the calibre of players he's signed, and his potential to keep developing as a manager. Plus the fact that the culture and ethos of BHA has moved on light years from previous regimes and we won't complete the transition to Spanish-style football in one or even two leaps.

It may have been a "fair question" to ask but surely there are more positive things to talk about?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Here's a hypothetical. Let's say we continue to play as we did against Chelsea, Hull and Cardiff and we still don't get a win before Christmas.

Even in those circumstances I wouldn't be calling for Gus to go. Yes, of course it's all about winning, and no one likes a winless run, but you need to look at the bigger picture: the progress this club has made under Gus, the calibre of players he's signed, and his potential to keep developing as a manager. Plus the fact that the culture and ethos of BHA has moved on light years from previous regimes and we won't complete the transition to Spanish-style football in one or even two leaps.

It may have been a "fair question" to ask but surely there are more positive things to talk about?
The hypothetical question is meaningless about not winning before Xmas , we play Palace at the beginning of December. :wink:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

You're having a laugh aren't you?No wins by Christmas and you wouldn't be calling for Poyet's head?
Irrelevant really,'cos he would have been sacked by then!Apologies for the cock-up above!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think that we can discount the poor finish to last season. The games were tough and we weren't good enough to mix it with the top dogs.

I'm amused that some of the doom mongers on here can now lump in the results at the end of last season with the two results this season and suggest that we have a crisis :rolleyes:

The football that we have played so far this season has been a marked improvement on most of last season. The defence looks composed and the ball has been moved much quicker. We have had loads of chances and even if we don't get another striker in we will comfortably stay up imo. We have played two of the bigger spenders in the division and can consider ourselves unfortunate not to have racked up at least one win and a draw. I am not even vaguely concerned about Gus's future here as he will turn this around.

I am loving how quickly we are moving towards being a quality club from top to bottom, yet there seem to be loads of you who don't think we are moving quickly enough. I suggest you are gnashing your teeth when you should really be enjoying the ride. This is Brighton not Real Madrid we will f*** up along the way at times.

I get the feeling some would be happy for us to overstretch and spend our way to the top, well dream on....

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm amused that some of the doom mongers on here can now lump in those results in with the two results this season and suggest that we have a crisis :rolleyes:

It's all getting a bit Spielbergesque :smile:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Less than 20 points before Christmas and it may get 'complicated' for Gus, but let's face it, that's not going to happen :beer:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I keep trying to discount the games at the end of last season because of they were after the 6-0 drubbing by West Ham. However the truth of the matter is that we could still have made the play-offs after that statistically but we were a spent force and, not surprisingly, the confidence seemed to evaporate. The key question is whether we are still suffering a hangover from the tail end of last season and I don't think we'll know the answer to this until we've played 8 - 10 games this season. A trend will have been established then and, if not good, that will be the point at which the club will need to take a long hard look at the management arrangements. In the meantime we all have a crucial role to play in helping to ensure success on the pitch so lets stop this questioning and doubting, make the Amex a wall of sound and really get behind the team starting on Saturday against Barnsley

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just a classic NSC shit-stirring thread.

I don't think so.

"Fans have started turning on Poyet" would be a shit-stirring thread.

Speculating on when fans (start to) turn on Poyet if there is a continued poor run of results is an interesting discussion point. More interesting is when would the board (start to) turn on Poyet if the same conditions arise. There is no way Bloom wants to entertain League 1 football at the Amex and far bigger clubs and, in some cases, better teams, have exited the Championship in the wrong direction. Also, when would Poyet start to turn on the board. You could make a case there were signs of that on Tuesday night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here