Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Before The Fans Turn on Poyet?

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
the club simply cannot stand still, it has to go forward at all times now the investment has been made and if we stall under GP, and I think we have stalled and reached the plateau of his real managerial abilities, that stall could mean years in the championship - something Bloom nor his need for a financial return will allow when he clearly has premiership aims, ambitions and targets. Those that talk of 5-10 year plans etc simply are burying their heads in the sand as to the economics and realities of football these days - Norwich, Swansea, Reading, Saints etc show your first and only goal must be to go up and keep going up and when there at the top either establish quickly and stay there (Fulham, Stoke even Wigan), or budget properly so if we slip back it is not the end of the world and can challenge again (Wolves, WBA). I hope I am wrong but I am personally not convinced a manager who has many qualities but is also very inflexible and even slower to change if things don't work, is the person who will take the albion to the premiership.. whichever way you look at it, the losing run last year could and should have been halted far quicker by a manager willing to recognise plan A was not working, so Plan B, even if it goes against their aims, had to be used just to stop the rot....does anyone really think if we hit a slump this year at some point, GP will turn it around quickly by being a pragmatist who thinks any 1-0 win will do and sod how nice it looks? That's what is needed to get promoted. Deep down we all know he will keep doing the same thing by which point the season's momentum has gone......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's a good Manager but I certainly wouldn't put him in the "great" category. He seems temperamental and that looks like it's led to a couple of fall outs and we were frequently ineffective last season and I don't think that was all to do with personnel. After Hull and Cardiff I'm actually more confident, we're showing much more pace and strength and much less predictable, with balls over the top, playing higher up the pitch and creating more opportunities. We need another striker but with a fit Vicente and Dicker on bench I reckon CMS could come good.

I hope Gus does well for us, it means the club will do well. I've got no worries about him leaving us while we are doing well and nor would I turn on him while we are, but he is a Manager with a job to do, if he doesn't then public as well as private criticism goes with the territory

This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Your comment shows a very shallow understanding of football and business, we have a very decent side that will challenge the top 6 as it currently is and with a couple of additions we will be there or thereabouts. We won't get relegated with our squad and therefore nothing to worry about, if we finish 16th I won't overly care as we are building for the future and we will get promoted sooner rather than later. It is best to win promotion at a steady rate rather than spanking loads a money in the hope you do and then not being able to compete the following year when you have missed out.

Supporters need to understand just how much influence Poyet has had off the pitch, Bloom trusts him immensely and together they will have set targets but don't think for one second that if we are down in 17th for 3 or 4 games that Bloom will wield the axe and bring in somebody else who may not continue to build the way Poyet has, after all it is a shared vision that they have and they will be working together to achieve it

Possibly, possibly not.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
the club simply cannot stand still, it has to go forward at all times now the investment has been made and if we stall under GP, and I think we have stalled and reached the plateau of his real managerial abilities, that stall could mean years in the championship - something Bloom nor his need for a financial return will allow when he clearly has premiership aims, ambitions and targets. Those that talk of 5-10 year plans etc simply are burying their heads in the sand as to the economics and realities of football these days - Norwich, Swansea, Reading, Saints etc show your first and only goal must be to go up and keep going up and when there at the top either establish quickly and stay there (Fulham, Stoke even Wigan), or budget properly so if we slip back it is not the end of the world and can challenge again (Wolves, WBA). I hope I am wrong but I am personally not convinced a manager who has many qualities but is also very inflexible and even slower to change if things don't work, is the person who will take the albion to the premiership.. whichever way you look at it, the losing run last year could and should have been halted far quicker by a manager willing to recognise plan A was not working, so Plan B, even if it goes against their aims, had to be used just to stop the rot....does anyone really think if we hit a slump this year at some point, GP will turn it around quickly by being a pragmatist who thinks any 1-0 win will do and sod how nice it looks? That's what is needed to get promoted. Deep down we all know he will keep doing the same thing by which point the season's momentum has gone......

TB talks of 5 year plans - is he burying his head in the sand?
Gus has talked about getting alternative strikers in so that he does have a plan B.
Towards the end of last season, we could not score as we were not creating chances. Now we are creating loads of chances. Is that not a positive thing?
High calibre players want to come to the club principally because of Gus. The fact that they reportedly demand huge wages is not really in Gus's or TB's control - the fact that these players are even willing to talk to us speaks volumes about the current management of the club.
TB has said that a striker will be signed by the close of the transfer window - let's wait and see.
Never forget that ManUre were on the verge of dumping Fergie over 20 years ago. Much as I hate them and the ruddy-faced clown, it is that patience that we should aspire to emulate.
Dumping Gus now would be an absolute disaster for this club at this stage, imo.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This thread is embarrassing. Palace fans will be rightly laughing at it.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Let's not forget - this is a young manager in his first job as gaffer.
He of course comes with pedigree of experience but that doesn't necessarily mean so much.
None are bigger than the club of course, but he has grasped his task with clear enthusiasm and pride in his position. He isn't likely, or looking anywhere near like 'losing the dressing room', he's careful about the egos and personalities he puts in the squad too. No Leons, CKRs, or Murrays any more.

Gus won't be here forever let's face it. We had rumours before of clubs interested and that's par for the course - they leave clubs when successful, get fired when failing.
He hasn't lost the fans either, not least because the games are competitive and close. Not sure about the run-out in the cup, a bad result and a half-hearted effort does influence morale a little, it can't be helped.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Come on Springal. You post a throw away comment like that, and then go silent. Prove you have something to say

Yer lots of untruth. lets break it down.

That is mad money for us to spend, - So £3m on a striker is nothing for us?

and CMS himself I'm sure, will say it hasn't happened for him here yet. - Can't back that one up so thats a guess granted

Add into the mix Harley, Hoskins, Vincelot from last summer, all three Poyet has made it clear their futures lie elsewhere after one season of hardly playing a game - Have I missed something there?

It wasn't a great transfer window for Gus - So you are saying it was a great transfer window for Gus???

Together with Vicente on silly money, and who Gus seems incapable of picking a winning team around - Er remind me how many games we have won when Vicente has started? 10 out of 10 is it? 7? 5? 3? It's one. How does that make Gus capable of picking a winning team around Vicente exactly? One win in ten when the best player in the championship plays, I would hardly call a success.

and the fact the only real success from last season are the wingers (in terms of transfered in).... which Gus will only play one off.... - How often does Gus plays more than one winger as a winger? Who else from the last window can be called a success?

its not hard to see why Tony Bloom has kept a firmer hand on his wallet this summer. - Is it?
So where is the "so much untruth". Do tell?

£3m is not mad money for us to spend, it is normal, for life in the Championship, if you want a top half finish and pushing towards promotion.

CMS hasn't fired, but that does not mean he is not a great buy, the fact other top clubs (apart from Leicester !) were up for his signature means we were on the right lines, but we need to play to his strengths.

Hoskins hasn't helped himself with his twitter outbursts against Poyet and the club, the fact he has been unlucky with injuries and the whole homesick stuff, that just happens unfortunately. It does look like his attitude isn't great, and he just hasn't got on down here. Vincelot was not a big money buy, and did provide a lot of cover last year, we don't really need that cover any more, and again I do not think his attitude has been great, particularly shown in the Burnley game. Harley we were after for a LONG time, I think the raw talent is there, as shown by Brendan Rodgers originally beating us for his signature, a team you may have noticed very similar to ours. I think he just needs time to develop but that will never happen with our fickle fans.

I'd say last year was a great transfer window. Lua Lua signed, Vicente signed, Buckley signed, all class players who have 'done their bit.' You can use stats to tell any story you want, but if you are really telling me that Vicente is the reason for us not winning games, then I think I'll just stop entering into any football debate with you, as you clearly know nothing. This season we look better, as we don't have 2 holding midfielders, Crofts has really improved the midfield moving forwards, and a battler. This will free up Vicente to support the striker, and create those mazey runs, meaning when the other team are on the break, we are not so reliant on Vicente to tackle, as he just won't do this. Vicente is also not on 'silly money' he is one of the higher earners, but it is all in line. From what I have been told, his new permenant contract is much more lucrative for him, but he does not want to enter into negotiations at the moment.

Tony hasn't kept a firmer hand on his wallet, our average wage, I am led to believe, has gone up quite significantly. This money has presumbly come out of the 'transfer fee' budget. Do you really think Saltor, Kusczak, Bridge are being paid £3k-£4k a week by us ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This thread is embarrassing. Palace fans will be rightly laughing at it.

I don't understand your point. The clubs aims are to be in the premiership I would say within 3 years in the championship tops. Perry said this in the council meeting at the beginning of this year re the extra seats that the club was aiming to be in the premiership very soon as that was the objective and the need for the extra seats to achieve that aim. Are you saying the directors and the club are doing all this to stay in the championship indefinately ? I would say it is embarrassing that fans have so low expectations for the club. It's as if we are not worthy of premiership football and we should always be happy with championship football at best. Well I have waited 29 years for premiership football again and that is long enough !

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I can't be arsed to read the previous TEN pages (this shouldnt even be debated past page 1)

My summary is this.

If you think Poyet is under pressure you are clearly MENTAL.

If you don't then i'm not even going to congratulate you. It's just SENSE.

Last edited:

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
TB may have a 5 year plan but it is as much a business one as a football one, in fact it is undoubtedly mainly a business plan as that is what he does - GP's 5 year playing plan may run alongside that but whereas TB's plan is core to the club's future, GP's is not. Lets not fool ourselves here, if another manager came in, got results and played semi decent football, whilst we'd all be grateful to Gus for his part in getting the club where it is now, we wouldn't complain one iota, we'd support the new manager 100% - this is just how football operates and always has done.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't understand your point. The clubs aims are to be in the premiership I would say within 3 years in the championship tops. Perry said this in the council meeting at the beginning of this year re the extra seats that the club was aiming to be in the premiership very soon as that was the objective and the need for the extra seats to achieve that aim. Are you saying the directors and the club are doing all this to stay in the championship indefinately ? I would say it is embarrassing that fans have so low expectations for the club. It's as if we are not worthy of premiership football and we should always be happy with championship football at best. Well I have waited 29 years for premiership football again and that is long enough !

There is a big middle ground between "happy to stay in the championship forever" and wanting it all NOW even if it means doing a Pompey. Also you conveniently ignore the fact that at least 8-10 other clubs have the same plans. It's not as simple as you make out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can't be arsed to ready the previous TEN pages (this shouldnt even be debated past page 1)

My summary is this.

If you think Poyet is under pressure you are clearly MENTAL.

If you don't then i'm not even going to congratulate you. It's just SENSE.

This. This is an INSANE thread full of utter bollocks.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I don't understand your point. The clubs aims are to be in the premiership I would say within 3 years in the championship tops, Perry said this in the council meeting at the beginning of this year re the extra seats that the club was aiming to be in the premiership very soon as that was the objective and the need for the extra seats to achieve that aim. Are you saying the directors and the club are doing all this to stay in the championship indeifnately ? I would say it is embarrassing that fans have so low expectations for the club. It's as if we are not worthy of premiership football and we should always be happy with championship football at best. Well I have waited 29 years for premiership football again and that is long enough !

I'm sorry US, that is utter bullcrap! We do not have a divine right to premiership football. This is a bloody hard division to get out of (just ask Cardiff!) and we are up against some very hard opposition. Obviously we would like to get promoted, but after decades spent in the basement divisions I am more than happy to see us become established at this level. We have to walk before we can run. Our set up is now geared to us performing consistently at a higher level than we have in a very long time. Patience is required by not just the fans but the club as well.

We should be enjoying the time we have at the moment, not feeling a frustration that we have not moved on to the PL just yet. It's a great time to be an Albion fan at the moment, and you should be revelling in every minute of it.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Another thing, GP has the board backing him and part of that is leaving him alone.
When chairmen hold inquests and start giving public announcements of support for the manager, the signs are not great.

Fishing for worry and making everyone count the record of results without wins, in a fanbase who are also supportive of the manager and players, is out of place after two (close) matches.
I have a mate who will never get over his disregard for Adam el Abd. One of our most consistent players, completely unfairly judged in the past, and often seen as our best player. How many points has that bloke saved for The Albion? Now, my pal is down on Poyet, so he can do no right!
I struggle to see what my friend can expect, we have decent players performing and trying as well as they can - and that's not enough? He knows BHA aren't going to be buying Messi and Ronaldo!
There's just no pleasing some people

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
There is a big middle ground between "happy to stay in the championship forever" and wanting it all NOW even if it means doing a Pompey. Also you conveniently ignore the fact that at least 8-10 other clubs have the same plans. It's not as simple as you make out.

Like.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I've said on here more than once that I find B&HA supporters unusual, in that they underestimate the size of their club (as it is now) whereas most clubs' fans have an inflated opinion of their club's importance. In that respect DBL makes an important point. For most of my life as a football fan I thought of B&HA as a Third or Fourth Division club, most notable for having a long name like Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic; not any more. You're now a club worthy of a PL place.
However, I cannot agree with him regarding any questions over Poyet. Ofcourse eleven matches without a win is disconcerting, and unless I'm mistaken there was a similar rotten run earlier last season. But I remain confident that Gus Poyet will arrest this run very soon and, with the addition of the striker he wants before midnight a week tomorrow, B&HA will finish in the top six this season. I can think of few, if any, managers I'd rather have at my club.

This bloke actually know's what he is talking about, some of you need to read this very slowly, then read it again...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here