Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long Before The Fans Turn on Poyet?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Haven't time to trawl through all the comments on this thread - so this is just my response to the opening statement.

What happened to enjoying the beautiful game? The way Gus' teams play it IS beautiful and we should be really pleased. Great stadium, great support, great football.....

50 years an Albion supporter - never prouder!
I'd agree with two out of your three comments. Great stadium, great support, but great football. I wouldn't say that. Football to me is about scoring goals and winning games. Zero wins in eleven games. 4 goals in eleven games. I wouldn't say thats great by any stretch. Too be honest, I'd take being bored out of my head on Saturday if you could guarantee me a 2-0 win, rather than seeing us control the game and come away with another blank.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
No, I am definitely an Albion fan & season ticket holder of some years.
However, it is obvious to me & many others that the club is geared to bigger & better times than surviving or mid table. For most of BHA life we have been a third rate football club playing in division 3. Yes we played in the top flight for 4 years & have spent time in the second & basement leagues, however, we are now in a new era where the club will not settle for mediocrity.

Us Albion fans are very patient supporters, as we know, more than most as what it is to have loved & what we have cherished been taken away from us. However, times have moved on & we must move on too.

It is gratifying that Gus is held in Such high esteem however, he will only be able to take us so far. We might be there. Or it could be the playoffs, or promotion, or keeping us up in the premiership, or challenging for Europe, or even the title?

If any of the top premiership teams had not won in their last 11 competitive games, there would be mass melt downs on their fanzines or in the press as well. Because us Albion fans have been served up with such derisory conditions in the last 20 years,many on here are just content to sit in their new shiny seat at Falmer, blindingly thinking that all will come well on the pitch, when game after game we are failing.

Poyet is a good manager & has many strengths. His record for forwards is poor at best. Clearly his strengths are bringing in other players on the pitch. Is he at fault? His advisors or backoom staff in bringing in a decent forward or two? The Board for not releasing additional funds? We may never know. However a manager is remembered on their results. Playing well, conceding a late goal or losing your best player due to injury are all unfortunate BUT 11 GAMES WITHOUT a win - Is unacceptable!

Win on Saturday & this thread will be put to bed. Fail to win & if we do not score again - it will be ramped up further & the pressure will grow. Bloom unlike many on this thread will not settle for a scrap this season.
Brilliantly put. My nomination for post of the season so far. If only I had your way with words!! Can't wait to read a comment trying to rubbish that post!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If we get relegated then I may start to question, until then I'm a massive fan of his

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I am actually happy to wait and see where we are at the end of the 5 year plan.

And I am thoroughly delighted with our current situation, so far so good on the 5 year plan in my book :thumbsup:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I don't understand fans that do not realise this club is now premiership in all but status. They even have facilities geared up for European football now as that is what the expectations are in the medium term. We are not set up as a championship club anymore surely everyone can see that. EVERYTHING is set up for premiership football.

Errr, except the finances. If you want good players you gotta pay for them and god forbid we raise the price of a pint.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
No, I am definitely an Albion fan & season ticket holder of some years.
However, it is obvious to me & many others that the club is geared to bigger & better times than surviving or mid table. For most of BHA life we have been a third rate football club playing in division 3. Yes we played in the top flight for 4 years & have spent time in the second & basement leagues, however, we are now in a new era where the club will not settle for mediocrity.

Us Albion fans are very patient supporters, as we know, more than most as what it is to have loved & what we have cherished been taken away from us. However, times have moved on & we must move on too.

It is gratifying that Gus is held in Such high esteem however, he will only be able to take us so far. We might be there. Or it could be the playoffs, or promotion, or keeping us up in the premiership, or challenging for Europe, or even the title?

If any of the top premiership teams had not won in their last 11 competitive games, there would be mass melt downs on their fanzines or in the press as well. Because us Albion fans have been served up with such derisory conditions in the last 20 years,many on here are just content to sit in their new shiny seat at Falmer, blindingly thinking that all will come well on the pitch, when game after game we are failing.

Poyet is a good manager & has many strengths. His record for forwards is poor at best. Clearly his strengths are bringing in other players on the pitch. Is he at fault? His advisors or backoom staff in bringing in a decent forward or two? The Board for not releasing additional funds? We may never know. However a manager is remembered on their results. Playing well, conceding a late goal or losing your best player due to injury are all unfortunate BUT 11 GAMES WITHOUT a win - Is unacceptable!

Win on Saturday & this thread will be put to bed. Fail to win & if we do not score again - it will be ramped up further & the pressure will grow. Bloom unlike many on this thread will not settle for a scrap this season.

You are not being very patient, because the transition from a League 1 club to a Premier League club is likely to take longer than a single season.

Some of us also consider the new season a fresh start. a draw and a defeat is not great, but tacking on the back end of last season is unreasonable in my opinion.

We have played VERY well in EVERY game this season, unlucky not to have more points on the table.

How far can Gus take us? That will depend in part on how much TIME we give him, and he has earned plenty of it in my opinion.

I hope he is here for many seasons to come.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We need a striker, we know that, and there's a good chance (allegedly...) that we'll get him in the next 9 days.

Reading needed a striker last season, they got him in January and won the league - having lost FOUR consecutive games in August/September, including at Portsmouth and at home to Barnsley and Watford.

We've conceded 1 goal in 2 games (one seventh as many as Palace :lolol: ), and no-one can say we've been lucky to draw/lose by one goal - indeed we've been unlucky to only have one point.

All is good.

I don't believe you? Losing games and going up? Buying players in January? Are you on CRACK?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
3 years to go up tops, ideally, maybe 4-5 but Bloom would not be happy with that.

The facts are 3 games and 0 goals, 1 point in 6 and 21st is a CRAP start to the season.

You are aware that if it takes us 5 seasons to go up thats 230 games? Even if its 3 years that 138?

We've played... hang on let me check the website... oh shit yeah... TWO.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
article-0-148FE863000005DC-388_468x443.jpg

3 GAMES AND OUT :jester:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If we get relegated then I may start to question, until then I'm a massive fan of his

If we get relegated, we are well and truly in the shit. It cost more to run the electric at the Amex than it did to run Withdean and season tickets would drop to 10,000. Come to think of it if we finish lower half in this division, we won't sell 22,000 season tickets next season. I can't believe people can't see it. The gravy train is running, but there are a few cracks on the line. Bloom won't allow it to crash, he simply can't afford too. If that means a few peole have to be thrown off along the way then they will be.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Brilliantly put. My nomination for post of the season so far. If only I had your way with words!! Can't wait to read a comment trying to rubbish that post!

Hasn't he just said exactly what I said ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You are not being very patient, because the transition from a League 1 club to a Premier League club is likely to take longer than a single season.

Some of us also consider the new season a fresh start. a draw and a defeat is not great, but tacking on the back end of last season is unreasonable in my opinion.

We have played VERY well in EVERY game this season, unlucky not to have more points on the table.

How far can Gus take us? That will depend in part on how much TIME we give him, and he has earned plenty of it in my opinion.

It would take longer than a single season as that is an impossibility.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You are aware that if it takes us 5 seasons to go up thats 230 games? Even if its 3 years that 138?

We've played... hang on let me check the website... oh shit yeah... TWO.

I may be wrong but did we not play 46 games last season as well ? Holy f*** ??!!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He's achieved the first of 3 objectives IMO which is getting us out of L1. I'm very happy with us in the Champs but obv want us in Prem, but have no timeframe. I suspect he might go at the end of this season if we don't make at least play offs and will cite a lack of funds.

He's a good Manager but I certainly wouldn't put him in the "great" category. He seems temperamental and that looks like it's led to a couple of fall outs and we were frequently ineffective last season and I don't think that was all to do with personnel. After Hull and Cardiff I'm actually more confident, we're showing much more pace and strength and much less predictable, with balls over the top, playing higher up the pitch and creating more opportunities. We need another striker but with a fit Vicente and Dicker on bench I reckon CMS could come good.

I hope Gus does well for us, it means the club will do well. I've got no worries about him leaving us while we are doing well and nor would I turn on him while we are, but he is a Manager with a job to do, if he doesn't then public as well as private criticism goes with the territory

Last edited:

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I've said on here more than once that I find B&HA supporters unusual, in that they underestimate the size of their club (as it is now) whereas most clubs' fans have an inflated opinion of their club's importance. In that respect DBL makes an important point. For most of my life as a football fan I thought of B&HA as a Third or Fourth Division club, most notable for having a long name like Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic; not any more. You're now a club worthy of a PL place.
However, I cannot agree with him regarding any questions over Poyet. Ofcourse eleven matches without a win is disconcerting, and unless I'm mistaken there was a similar rotten run earlier last season. But I remain confident that Gus Poyet will arrest this run very soon and, with the addition of the striker he wants before midnight a week tomorrow, B&HA will finish in the top six this season. I can think of few, if any, managers I'd rather have at my club.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
I am actually happy to wait and see where we are at the end of the 5 year plan.

And I am thoroughly delighted with our current situation, so far so good on the 5 year plan in my book :thumbsup:

From the Withdean, and before Gus arrived, it's been immense.

But, playing wise it has stalled severely.

TB will not allow Gus 5 years of mid table mediocrity, on our debt-free & SE England high income finances, and Gus will be long gone if that was on the cards 1/2 way through that period.

Norwich, Swansea and S'ton have showed you don't have to be that patient.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Shut the door after the horse has bolted?great plan

Your comment shows a very shallow understanding of football and business, we have a very decent side that will challenge the top 6 as it currently is and with a couple of additions we will be there or thereabouts. We won't get relegated with our squad and therefore nothing to worry about, if we finish 16th I won't overly care as we are building for the future and we will get promoted sooner rather than later. It is best to win promotion at a steady rate rather than spanking loads a money in the hope you do and then not being able to compete the following year when you have missed out.

Supporters need to understand just how much influence Poyet has had off the pitch, Bloom trusts him immensely and together they will have set targets but don't think for one second that if we are down in 17th for 3 or 4 games that Bloom will wield the axe and bring in somebody else who may not continue to build the way Poyet has, after all it is a shared vision that they have and they will be working together to achieve it

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

Like Southampton and Norwich.........................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here