Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How is your Albion Mojo going into the International break?

How is your Albion Mojo as we go to the International break

• Total voters

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't know Seasidesage but I guess the point he is making is along the lines of .....

Connolly may turn out to be, as you put it, like Vardy. But we can't avoid the fact that he's barely played senior football. Even on a good scenario, he'll come into the team, do well, then, (as young players invariably do) have a bad spell and need to come out of the team. This is fine as long as Murray's age doesn't massively catch up with him, Maupay can make the transition to the Premier League and crucially they both stay fit over the course of the season.

Locadia wasn't ever my favourite player, but you sort of know what you'll get. He can occupy a defender and get a goal every 5 or 6 games. With the options we have now, Maupay and Connolly, they're very exciting but there's a much greater degree of uncertainty and a greater range of possible outcomes. Our goalscoring will determine our fate this season. I think that's why the seems to be a bit of nervousness on this forum.

It really is the point. Potter does have options. If we need to bring somebody on to change a game we have (had) Locadia (who by your own definition is rubbish) or Connolly. Bring on rubbish or somebody who looks interested, works hard and can score goals?

I don't understand Brighton fans sometimes-we may have our very own Vardy type of player about to become a regular but he isn't considered a forward? Why is Connolly going to weaken the side by coming on whereas you think Locadia is a better option yet you say he's rubbish? Explain how that works because I don't get it.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It really is the point. Potter does have options. If we need to bring somebody on to change a game we have (had) Locadia (who by your own definition is rubbish) or Connolly. Bring on rubbish or somebody who looks interested, works hard and can score goals?

I don't understand Brighton fans sometimes-we may have our very own Vardy type of player about to become a regular but he isn't considered a forward? Why is Connolly going to weaken the side by coming on whereas you think Locadia is a better option yet you say he's rubbish? Explain how that works because I don't get it.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Connolly could be anything at this point. World class or league 2 who knows? I'm all for finding him chances and I'd have sold or loaned Locadia too but Andone for me is a loan too far and risks leaving us short. My feeling is that something has happened behind the scenes to force that but none the less we are potentially light until January especially if Connolly finds the step up too much. Let's hope he's the real deal and you are right.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
7 Like the style, appreciate it will take some time to bed in properly. Believe when we get Bissouma back he will be an asset who will flourish under Potter. Bit worried about the striker situation. Thought there was a player in Andone if he could be calmed a bit.

VAR is boiling my pish. Not because of the decisions, but just because it feels like something that appeals to people watching in the pub, on telly and placing bets on their phones; which rather takes the spontaneity out of going a bit mad at the ground when we appear to have scored.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Connolly could be anything at this point. World class or league 2 who knows?.

Data knows. It takes time to collect enough data, but it is obvious Potter (who doesnt talk about it much but is almost Bielsa-obsessed with these kind of things) have gathered enough data from training sessions to safely say that Connolly technically is a Premier League. Of course, you cant know how he deals with pressure and other psychological aspects but thats where it comes in handy to have a coach with a masters degree in emotional intelligence.

Daniel James wasnt too bad to get minutes in Macclesfield two years ago - he just thought he was.

You can safely forget about the "we only got Murray and Maupay" thing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Data knows. It takes time to collect enough data, but it is obvious Potter (who doesnt talk about it much but is almost Bielsa-obsessed with these kind of things) have gathered enough data from training sessions to safely say that Connolly technically is a Premier League. Of course, you cant know how he deals with pressure and other psychological aspects but thats where it comes in handy to have a coach with a masters degree in emotional intelligence.

Daniel James wasnt too bad to get minutes in Macclesfield two years ago - he just thought he was.

Data failed pretty badly on Andone, Locadia and AJ (so far) so our record on finding strikers who can produce at Brighton is still pretty piss poor. I hope you are right re Connolly but history tells us we’re not very good at signing or promoting PL ready strikers who produce (except one who played for us in League 1)

Last edited:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

I hope you are right and watching him at the Toulon tournament he certainly looks like a player but the PL is a tough place to start your senior career especially when there are not a lot of alternatives. Time will tell and it might be an inspired decision but if it proves too much we have limited options..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Going into the season I was a 7. Then after the Watford game, having seen Maupay and Andone come on and play havoc I was a 9. The thought of those two up front this season with Trossard pulling the strings was a mouthwatering prospect.

Now that we've binned off two senior strikers, in the process drastically slashing our options up front, I've regressed to a 6. Locadia and Andone had largely been let-downs up until now, but this was where I thought GP would do what he's been brought in to do, and extract more from them than we'd ever seen before - Andone particularly.

I could live with scrapping Jurgen, but to do that and then jettison another senior striker who'd started the season looking sharp and hungry...and the bizarre timing of it. My confidence in this team/squad has taken a big knock, and we are now even more massively reliant on nobody up top getting crocked. I'm borderline talking myself down to a 5 now tbh.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Up to 9. Really like the new style of play. Far better watch than last season. Positive we'll be ok and even if we do a Fulham I'd rather that than the tedium of last year. Good too to see Potter embracing the opportunity to include a couple of the U23's as well. 4 goals and 4 points is a decent start and could have been more but for Andone's moment of madness. All positive for me with 2 winnable games coming up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here