Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How is it Derby can afford to buy players at £2.75 million?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We just can't afford another summer like the last one (with resultant season disaster).

Its already better than last summer (and the one before that) in that we aren't spending half the summer interviewing applicants for the manager job before giving it to the wrong one.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
thing I find difficult to understand is those at the club can sell ST's to over 20k but cannot convince players to play for us, we have a relitively new ground and brand new training ground and crowds in excess of 25k.
there is really something radically wrong somewhere

Yes. Its called WAGES.

Even back in the Mcghee days his words "Withdean wasnt the problem"

Which basically meant players couldnt give a **** about the facilities as long as they are picking up their wedge.

Yes. Its called WAGES.

Even back in the Mcghee days his words "Withdean wasnt the problem"

Which basically meant players couldnt give a **** about the facilities as long as they are picking up their wedge.

I agree; all this stuff about a new stadium and training facility is, at best, peripheral.

In the last set of published accounts (2013/14) Derby's club wage bill was £13.5m whereas BHA's total staff costs were £20.3m.

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
£10,000 p/w in the Derby area will go a lot further than the same amount in Sussex. This will be the same in large parts of the country. I am sure players consider this far more than training/ staduim facilities.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
thing I find difficult to understand is those at the club can sell ST's to over 20k but cannot convince players to play for us, we have a relitively new ground and brand new training ground and crowds in excess of 25k.
Yep spot on.....Very strange indeed

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I agree; all this stuff about a new stadium and training facility is, at best, peripheral.

In the last set of published accounts (2013/14) Derby's club wage bill was £13.5m whereas BHA's total staff costs were £20.3m.
Just shows how absolute shite we're at recruiting quality players

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

This is the problem. We're set up to run as a Rools Royce but actually we're functioning as a Lada....too many non-playing admin staff and, I suspect, ridiculous match day staffing costs.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

At the risk of opening old wounds, Poyet seemed to be able to sell the club to players (Vicente, CMS, Buckley) even when we had terrible training facilies.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
ffp = BS.jpg

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
£10,000 p/w in the Derby area will go a lot further than the same amount in Sussex. This will be the same in large parts of the country. I am sure players consider this far more than training/ staduim facilities.

I'm not sure this is true. If you are earning £10k a week you could probably buy any house you wanted in the UK without the need for a mortgage (except some places on London). Main thing being you can then sell the place when you move on, so it won't actually cost more to live here than derby. In fact you you would be making a good investment. The extra 50p on the cost of a pint isn't gonna swing it either for a millionaire!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think you might be surprised. Just subsidising the travel I believe costs the club a small fortune, I'm sure it's at least a seven figure number?
Pretty sure that the "subsidy" fee is added to your ticket price, which is why our tickets are the most expensive in the division.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Pretty sure that the "subsidy" fee is added to your ticket price, which is why our tickets are the most expensive in the division.

The club are subsidising the rest of the train/bus fare beyond what we pay in our ticket price. I believe the transport levy on the tickets is something like £2, with the expansion of the travel zone the amount they are paying the train and bus companies is likely to go up without any increase in cost to us this season.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The club are subsidising the rest of the train/bus fare beyond what we pay in our ticket price. I believe the transport levy on the tickets is something like £2, with the expansion of the travel zone the amount they are paying the train and bus companies is likely to go up without any increase in cost to us this season.

Perhaps the rest of it is on the most expensive pies in the division?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here