Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] How have you political views changed during your life?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Crumbs,are you saying Farage and Wardle (who also said it) were saying Barker was a highly inappropriate candidate in 2001 because they thought or knew he was gay and they considered gay as highly inappropriate, which he didnt come out to until 2006
is this really your thinking on this?

Not just my thinking too, but very well known to some - Yes - He'd had dalliances whilst at university which were apparently common knowledge, then subsequently married.

Wardle had to stand down in 2001 due to taking a role with Mohamed Al-Fayed, then bizarrely and surprisingly campaigned, along with some others in the Bexhill & Battle Conservative Association, for Farage who only ever picks a constituency to stand in that he thinks he's got a chance of winning and that has an issue that he can stoke to add fuel to the fire of his campaign. For The Bexhill & Battle Conservative & Unionist Association is was quite vicious and far nastier a schism than the events in the aftermath of the 2015 election.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Not just my thinking too, but very well known to some - Yes - He'd had dalliances whilst at university which were apparently common knowledge, then subsequently married.

Wardle had to stand down in 2001 due to taking a role with Mohamed Al-Fayed, then bizarrely and surprisingly campaigned, along with some others in the Bexhill & Battle Conservative Association,

You have said a couple of times now Wardle and Farage refereed to him as " inappropriate " without elaborating as to why. Now you are saying it was because he was gay. Are you sure when you say you never heard any elaboration it just means you missed what was going on? There was a very public spat, which was reported and ended up with the whip being taken away and Duncan Smith having to publicly intervene, all to do with accusations Barkers CV and business history were invented The claims of inappropriate were about that, not about being gay

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/apr/13/politics.conservatives

is it possible you decided being inappropriate was about being gay because you thought the issue hadnt been elaborated on even though it had been......and you just missed it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You have said a couple of times now Wardle and Farage refereed to him as " inappropriate " without elaborating as to why. Now you are saying it was because he was gay. Are you sure when you say you never heard any elaboration it just means you missed what was going on? There was a very public spat, which was reported and ended up with the whip being taken away and Duncan Smith having to publicly intervene, all to do with accusations Barkers CV and business history were invented The claims of inappropriate were about that, not about being gay

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/apr/13/politics.conservatives

is it possible you decided being inappropriate was about being gay because you thought the issue hadnt been elaborated on even though it had been......and you just missed it.

Did you live and vote in The Bexhill & Battle constituency in 2001 like I did and hear what was being said locally at the time, including by local Tory members in the regards to the split which had nothing to with The CV issue according to them?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Did you live and vote in The Bexhill & Battle constituency in 2001 like I did and hear what was being said locally at the time, including by local Tory members in the regards to the split which had nothing to with The CV issue according to them?

I didnt need to live there to work out invented smears by people like you, when the obvious spat is recorded.
It wont stop you pretending to be privy to his personal life though 5 years before he came out and weaponizing his sexuality as a smear because a few of you knew the real secret truth eh.
Do you get an extra momentum badge for being nasty?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I didnt need to live there to work out invented smears by people like you, when the obvious spat is recorded.
It wont stop you pretending to be privy to his personal life though 5 years before he came out and weaponizing his sexuality as a smear because a few of you knew the real secret truth eh.
Do you get an extra momentum badge for being nasty?

I voted for Greg Barker in 2001, thanks. The spat and split in the Bexhill and Battle Tories isn't accurately recorded in your Googled article from 17 years ago I'm afraid - what was going on and being said by some was a disgrace. The nasty ones were those Tory's who defected to UKIP and Farage.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I voted for Greg Barker in 2001, thanks. The spat and split in the Bexhill and Battle Tories isn't accurately recorded in your Googled article form 17 years ago I'm afraid - what was going on and being said by some was a disgrace. The nasty ones were those Tory's who defected to UKIP and Farage.

I really get what you are saying now, even though at the time they were publicly saying he was an inappropriate candidate because of his business links you have taken this public knowledge as unimportant and instead decided they thought he was inappropriate because he was gay as some people including you were privy to super secret information that he was gay, 5 years before he felt the need to announce it, and nothing at all to do with his business links story which was just a coincidence at the time. Im glad you cleared that up.

Is there a disingenuous badge in momentum as well?
Its good to know though fully armed with the so called information as you were(apparently) at that time that The Tories were calling one of their own candidates inappropriate for being a gay you decided to vote Tory even though you considered it all a disgrace.
Do you get an extra badge in momentum for telling porkies?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I really get what you are saying now, even though at the time they were publicly saying he was an inappropriate candidate because of his business links you have taken this public knowledge as unimportant and instead decided they thought he was inappropriate because he was gay as some people including you were privy to super secret information that he was gay, 5 years before he felt the need to announce it, and nothing at all to do with his business links story which was just a coincidence at the time. Im glad you cleared that up.

Is there a disingenuous badge in momentum as well?
Its good to know though fully armed with the so called information as you were(apparently) at that time that The Tories were calling one of their own candidates inappropriate for being a gay you decided to vote Tory even though you considered it all a disgrace.
Do you get an extra badge in momentum for telling porkies?

I'm not a member of Momentum I'm afraid.

Yes, the sexuality issue was being discussed in the constituency at the time and it was common knowledge in local political circles prior to 2006 to him leaving his wife. In the aftermath of his selection and election in 2001 some further members left and some even joined The Lib Dems as it rumbled on in the association. It wasn't the happiest moment in the Bexhill & Battle Conservatives I'm afraid. It's not a problem to me or the vast majority of people, it was to others though. The resignation in regards to Hew Merriman after the 2015 general election pails into insignificance and nobody had a problem with his connection to Lehman Brothers when he was selected as a candidate - a far trickier issue to deal with than a convenient 'cv inaccuracy' in my opnion - gotta love The Tories.

Yet again though pasta, this is now going to have be filed with those other subjects where I'm really not too bothered what a know nothing about it like yourself actually thinks. You can believe what you want based on a Googled Guardian article for 17 years ago that you found, if it keeps you happy. I'm sure you've got some other things to look at on the internet now too. :rolleyes:

Have a nice day, if you can.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think I have stayed broadly the same - which is left of centre. What disappoints me most about Politics is that many Politicians and voters can be so rigid in their views - totally obsessed by ideology. All main parties have something to offer - no one has a monopoly on good ideas. The Health Service is an example, whereby cross party dialogue would help rebuild that fine institution rather than kick it about like a football.

I do despair about the calibre of politicians today. Not one MP stands out. We have possibly the worst PM in history up against the worst leader of the opposition. No wonder people don't vote.

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
As a 58 year old,Ive drifted more and more to the left in recent years. One thing that is disappointing the is the lack of decent politicians across the board,at cabinet and shadow cabinet level. I can't believe the tories Windrush scandal or the labour anti-Semitism scandal,so am pissed off with the lot of them! Certainly more left wing than in my youth though

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You are a self confessed "class warrior" and you consider yourself centre left :rotlf: ?

im tagging in [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] just for the bantz, he will love this

Mild-mannered centre left persona by day .. red flag waving Corbyn stormtrooper by night ( :drink: )? :wink:

Back on topic, I started out on the right, big fan of Mrs T. Drifted towards the centre over the years then became disillusioned with politics generally. For all the moaning about recent seismic changes both here and abroad at least we have genuine choices now and the ever complacent political establishment have had a long overdue kick in the balls.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Jeremy hunt is a total ****

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here