Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How has the year of lockdowns affected you ?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sorry for those that found it hard.

Have to say personally its been fantastic.
Working from home which saves money and don't have to work so hard. Has freed up time for some study.
Never been so fit or well off.
Probably closer to family as a result

Key for me has been to set goals - fitness , jobs round house + garden , courses etc.

Will miss it when its over although having the routine of football back be the major advantage

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It’s been bloody hard to be quite honest. When we first went into lockdown I foolishly thought it would all be over within a couple of weeks. When the full terms and length of lockdown were revealed I was very concerned, being housebound with a 2yr old terrified me, don’t get me wrong I love my son more than anything in the world but the mental exhaustion pushed me to the brink.
My partner works in education so her job was safe and she merrily went back to work leaving me struggling like crazy at home, the relief when his nursery reopened was unbelievable.
Two of my dearest friends suddenly lost their mothers during lockdown, not being able to visit them was awful, watching funeral services through a grainy cctv feed was heartbreaking.
My own mother has been struggling, she lives alone and not local to myself or my brother, she’s terrified of COVID and has been housebound pretty much the whole time, she feels like she’s become an agoraphobic.
My partner’s mother has been diagnosed with cancer and has since started chemotherapy, my partner has managed 1 socially distanced meet in Sherwood Forest and an afternoon sat in her parent’s garden.

I was made redundant in October.

From a purely selfish point of view it’s been an extremely challenging time, my relationship with my partner has been under immense strain and I’ve become a complete shell of myself, wracked with anxiety, lacking any confidence and utterly neurotic.

I have a job interview today, it will be huge for myself and my family if I’m successful.

Fingers crossed the tide will start to turn soon.

Good luck today mate

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Lockdown" has not been too bad, other than missing the things that make life happier; pubs and meals out, football, culture, friends. Actually getting Covid was a **** though. From marathon runner with a BMI of around 22 to very overweight heavy breather who couldn't get up the stairs at one point.

Luckily the tide started to turn in August and I'm now back to running short distances slowly but my lungs aren't right and I've got a CT scan today.

Job has carried on though so no financial worries. Kids / grandparents have seen each other once in July.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pretty lucky to be honest.

Mrs Hut was working one day in 10 during first lockdown as works in a school and both kids were furloughed. As the weather was good at least walks were pleasant and we completed loads of household jobs on hold. Had a holiday in July but then had to quarantine for two weeks which was not such fun but the sun was out.

2nd lock down youngest had to work from home, eldest was on furlough again.

Miss football, eating out and seeing friends. Managed to see my parents a couple of times, hopefully we can have a normal life again soon.........

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
All I can say is my heart goes out to those of you struggling through the various awful scenarios above; it's not fair how just by dumb luck some people's age, family, mental health and work situations have meant the last nine months have been OK whilst other people have had a dreadful time. People crowing about how much money they've saved and how fit they are should maybe think about whether that was really necessary to say.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Feel for all those that have suffered, either through illness itself, financial or through the mental strain of circumstances. I have zero sympathy for youngsters whinging about missing their nights out or an overseas holiday.

For me I have to hold my hands up and say I'm in a relatively lucky position. Didn't have any income for four months but was able to receive the two SEISS grants and will be collecting the third shortly. My wife works full time on the frontline at hospital so her pay hasn't been affected however, she's pretty much working 60 hour weeks since it all started. We did manage a break down in Cornwall and Devon earlier in the year.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I’m thankful that I consider lockdown to have barely affected me at work.
I used to work one day from home a week, and occasionally over the last 9 months this has stretched to 2 days a week at home. I’ve worked in the office in a socially distanced manner without any issues, but the job I do requires me to be there, so I’ve not had much choice in the matter anyway!

Socially I’m aching. I miss seeing friends and family as much as I’d like to. I’m not desperate to go to the pub, but I hate that my liberty to do so has been taken away.
Things will get better though!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's been a strange year, having been a stay at home Dad for 12 years running my own business, I went back to work in an office exactly a year ago today . . . . had my contract Confirmed end of Feb which was a relief, and have worked through everything. I did get a few weeks off furlough in June, which was nice as the weather was good.

Mrs Zef has been extremely busy, working flat out from home and helping our son, who's battled on with school really well .

compared to many we've been fine, not being able to indulge in hobbies or past times as an individual, a couple, or a family has been a pain, last thing we all did was whatch Palace rob us.

I've really missed gigs, attending and playing and no scooter rallies, or car racing. but we live in a nice part of the world and the weathers been mostly good, so walking the dog, swimming etc has been theraputic.

My biggest gripe was our boss not letting some of us work from home, when we easily could have . . . . it would have made a big difference in me bering able to help our son and give Mrs Zef a bit of a break from things, her job is far more demanding than mine.

We're all ok, and having attended a few funerals, and not being able to attend a few more, has been a reminder of how lucky we really are. .

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Elaborate

I'm going to guess his sentiment is aimed at the suggestion that:

• You find events such as 9/11 and the emergence of a deadly virus 'exciting'
  • You now find it less exciting, now that you know that as a young-ish person you are unlikely to come to serious harm at the hands of the virus
Expressed like that, it does look a little clumsy and selfish, however I think I know where you're coming from. There is something ingrained in human nature, a kind of morbid curiosity which sits beyond the realm of consciousness and ones own sense of morality.

I vividly remember watching 9/11 unfold as a teenager at the time, and of course it goes without saying that it was horrendous to watch - I recall shedding a few drunken tears with a couple of my mates a few days after which was in no way in line with my typical behaviour at the time. It definitely affected me and upset me deeply, but there is something weirdly exhilarating (note, may not be the right word to use but I'm struggling to find a better one) about being in a moment, witnessing an event that you know will go down as a major point in history. I'm not trying to describe it as a 'pleasant' sensation, but there is something incredibly compelling about such events.

9/11 was different in that it was so sudden, and didn't directly affect me or anyone I know. The Covid-19 penny was slower to drop, but there were days in mid-March which had a genuinely apocalyptic, movie-like feel to them. I remember going for a run early one Tuesday morning, listening to Blue Oyster Club's 'Don't fear the reaper' as a bit of black humour. I ran about 10km in total, and I didn't encounter a single car or person. I was running, alone in the road, like scene straight out of I Am Legend (Will Smith). It felt incredibly eerie.

My overwhelming sentiment has always been one of worry and concern for the lives and health of myself, my loved ones, my friends and of course society as a whole. Worry about jobs and the economy. Frustration that I can't live my life with the freedom I used to. Boredom is rife. All of those things have been there since March, but at the very beginning there was still that bizarre sense of anticipation brought on by the novelty of living through an experience that humankind had never endured in quite the same way*; going to the supermarket felt somehow 'edgy'. Any novelty, and again that may not be quite the right word, has long since worn off.

I can't be alone in having felt that way. It is difficult to articulate properly without coming across as selfish, but what I'm talking about isn't something felt in absence of fear and worry and sadness at what is happening all around us, but rather something that just sits running in the background. Strange times trigger strange emotions, I guess.

*I'm aware there have been many pandemics in the past, but this one is different in terms of how it shut down the modern global economy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To be completely fair to our Swede friend the OP did say “affect YOU” or words similar, I guess that in itself will induce a somewhat self centred response no?

Exactly.

I only spoke for myself: I'm not saying covid-19 was exciting in some kind of objective sense, I'm saying that I thought it was exciting. I think unusual events are exciting. I can spend hours watching clips or reading about airplane crashes, watching Tsunami videos, motorsport accidents, whatever. Is it a bit morbid? Maybe even a bit weird? Yeah, sure. But its interesting. And I really dont see how it is selfish. If there was anything I could realistically do to stop what I'm observing, sure then it is selfish. Just curiously observing it however doesnt make it selfish.

People who watch WW2 documentaries are not selfish. And likewise its not selfish to see a pandemic break out and think "wow, this is interesting, I wonder what will happen and how it will affect us". Its quite possible to think that something is horrible and exciting at the same time. And judging from what type of fiction or portrayals of history/hypothetical futures we consume, I'd say it is very common to be intrigued by the horrific.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Work has remained same. I support vulnerable women in refuges and safe houses. Substance abuse/addiction. Mental illness. Domestic violence.

Try getting twenty heroin addicts to stick to lockdown. They go all over the place and then we have to work closely with them. Bandaging cut wrists, dealing with overdoses, giving CPR or adrenaline injections to sex workers and IV drug users. Gets to you after a while.
It’s been challenging but it always is.

Missed being able to see friends as often is I’d like.

I find it particularly hard as I am of the opinion this is all very unnecessary but I am contractually obliged to follow regulations while some get very, very wealthy while ignoring the rules.

Wasn’t allowed to attend my Step Dad’s funeral. But to be honest, didn’t bother me much. He was an arse.
It’s also made the world rather dull.

Other than that? Meh, same old, same old . Still paying tax. Still getting done up the wrongle by Tory scumbags. Still getting told to **** off by the people we try to protect. Give a ****.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly.

I only spoke for myself: I'm not saying covid-19 was exciting in some kind of objective sense, I'm saying that I thought it was exciting. I think unusual events are exciting. I can spend hours watching clips or reading about airplane crashes, watching Tsunami videos, motorsport accidents, whatever. Is it a bit morbid? Maybe even a bit weird? Yeah, sure. But its interesting. And I really dont see how it is selfish. If there was anything I could realistically do to stop what I'm observing, sure then it is selfish. Just curiously observing it however doesnt make it selfish.

People who watch WW2 documentaries are not selfish. And likewise its not selfish to see a pandemic break out and think "wow, this is interesting, I wonder what will happen and how it will affect us". Its quite possible to think that something is horrible and exciting at the same time. And judging from what type of fiction or portrayals of history/hypothetical futures we consume, I'd say it is very common to be intrigued by the horrific.

You're in way alone.

There was an excitement, I'd say for some of those whose income was secure.

I know plenty of Brits who were buzzing in March and April. WFH a dream come true, no commuting, no sight of a boss they couldn't stand. Also, those on 100% or 80% furloughed pay, after years on the 9 til 5 treadmill. Both categories able to get fit, loving those sunny months with their kids, lay ins, with no travel costs.

It doesn't mean that they didn't care about the CV19 dead, but they couldn't alter that, so took the benefits in their own lives.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bad and good. Early lockdown with the fantastic weather and getting to spend lots more time with my wife and 2 year old son? That was good.

However, the gradual drifting - as weeks turned to months - has been hard particularly for my wife not able to see her family in Nottingham, and for them not being able to see our son's development and how much he's changed in the last year. I feel sorry for them.

I have hope though. I'm a naturally optimistic person and I'm hopeful and confident firstly that 2021 will be a far better year than 2020, but also that we may learn some lessons from this year.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
The lockdown in Spain was a proper lockdown and while it was interesting at first, I grew tired of it after a few weeks. March feels like a very long time ago now and the year has been difficult to deal with in terms of financial and professional uncertainty. I couldn't get on the furlough (or ERTE here) gravy train but I didn't mind as I was happy to be doing something. Main issue has been I have an equity deal with my company and they have me on a small retainer. We had a 90% drop in business which meant an 83% drop in my income. I'm slightly in debt now but I made it work and things are looking really good for us in 2021 if people don't need to self-isolate when entering the UK or Ireland. The vaccine news has totally changed my outlook and we all feel way more secure, despite currently being skint.

I don't really like to complain because there are many, many others in a far more dire financial and personal situation than my own. I have light at the end of the tunnel and it's so close I can taste it. Others will still be mourning the loss of loved ones, homes and employment.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Work has remained same. I support vulnerable women in refuges and safe houses. Substance abuse/addiction. Mental illness. Domestic violence.

Try getting twenty heroin addicts to stick to lockdown. They go all over the place and then we have to work closely with them. Bandaging cut wrists, dealing with overdoses, giving CPR or adrenaline injections to sex workers and IV drug users. Gets to you after a while.
It’s been challenging but it always is.

Missed being able to see friends as often is I’d like.

I find it particularly hard as I am of the opinion this is all very unnecessary but I am contractually obliged to follow regulations while some get very, very wealthy while ignoring the rules.

Wasn’t allowed to attend my Step Dad’s funeral. But to be honest, didn’t bother me much. He was an arse.
It’s also made the world rather dull.

Other than that? Meh, same old, same old . Still paying tax. Still getting done up the wrongle by Tory scumbags. Still getting told to **** off by the people we try to protect. Give a ****.

Thank you for your service.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You're in way alone.

There was an excitement, I'd say for some of those whose income was secure.

I know plenty of Brits who were buzzing in March and April. WFH a dream come true, no commuting, no sight of a boss they couldn't stand. Also, those on 100% or 80% furloughed pay, after years on the 9 til 5 treadmill. Both categories able to get fit, loving those sunny months with their kids, lay ins, with no travel costs.

It doesn't mean that they didn't care about the CV19 dead, but they couldn't alter that, so took the benefits in their own lives.
I do feel sorry for the PAYE office drones. Not taking the piss, I really do.

It's as if they've been given a glimpse of heaven and then it's snatched away. Another 20 years of the office grind.....

My dad retired at 65 and said "I woke up on Monday morning and thought 'ha ha! screw you suckers!'"

I said yeah that's cool Dad, but I do that every Monday already...... I got a scowl, a wink and a glass of red wine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here