Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How gutted would you be if GP went to Newcastle?

How gutted would you be if Potter went to Newcastle

• Total voters

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Yup, I am coming round to the opinion that Southgate is a natural and obvious successor to GP. I don't expect it to be a popular choice, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it myself.

But, the case for the opinion, if not necessarily the case for Southgate, is something like this : They both produce pretty similar styles of play and formations, three centre halves, wing backs, build from the back, defensively solid, all rather standard stuff perhaps but there would be complete continuity of style. Southgates strength with England seems to be his empathy with the players, building that team togetherness, emotional intelligence type stuff, don't get too high with the highs or too low with the lows, accept you have to suffer at times. Its all very Potter. He's said, or at least implied, that he wants to go back to club management sooner than later. If GP leaves us around 10th in the table we'd be about the right stature of club for him - higher than a relegation battle, but not quite at challenging for Europe stage, but with the potential clearly there. Dan Ashworth gave him the England managers job and he'd be leading the choice of new manager. And they both have a similar line in natty beards.

While the Dan Ashworth link makes it plausible and the team psychology aspects are similar (and important IMO), I think they have quite different attributes as coaches.

Potter is tactically adaptable for different opponents and makes in-game changes - Southgate pretty much sticks rigidly to one plan.
Potter limits opponents' attacking threat by coaching his side to retain possession and win it back quickly. Southgate sticks the handbrake on with 2 defensive midfielders.
It's not a fair comparison, given the differences in managing a club or international side, but Potter coaches players to make them better - Southgate just gets to pick the best (English) players and chuck them in his system.

Southgate wouldn't want it anyway - he'd have to pick Dunk!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Agreed- a smart strategy. One flaw of course. I assume Barber appreciates working with Bloom as his boss/club owner and values that very highly- he's had, its been rumoured, other offers yet is still here after 9 years. I sense he might not be so comfortable working with other owners in the PL such as the new owners of Newcastle.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...bs-demand-emergency-meeting-on-newcastle-deal

I think that article has a bit of ''Sour Grapes'' about it from other other Clubs

For sure I personally don't like the fact that essentially the Newcastle United are essentially taking money from the Saudi Government which has a dubious Human Rights record - However most other Clubs also take money from Countries with dubious Human Rights Records, whether it be directly or indirectly.

You don't hear many Clubs saying '' I won't take the part of the TV Money from the part where TV Rights are sold to Saudi Arabia - Neither do you hear them saying we won't play pre season friendlies in places like China because their human rights record is also questionable.

So whilst I personally find the deal to let them by Newcastle United questionable. Other Clubs questioning it are just worried that their dominance in the the ''Cash Cow '' that is the Champions League Places might come under threat to have another Club with a lot of money behind them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe they do have managers lined up but will they be as good as Potter?
i very much doubt it.

None of us who traveled all the way up to North Horsham, on the first game of this season, were watching the team of an irreplaceable manager for the first hour of the game.

Fine margins.

The next man up might be able to pick up points in a less streaky manner.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Yup, I am coming round to the opinion that Southgate is a natural and obvious successor to GP. I don't expect it to be a popular choice, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it myself.

But, the case for the opinion, if not necessarily the case for Southgate, is something like this : They both produce pretty similar styles of play and formations, three centre halves, wing backs, build from the back, defensively solid, all rather standard stuff perhaps but there would be complete continuity of style. Southgates strength with England seems to be his empathy with the players, building that team togetherness, emotional intelligence type stuff, don't get too high with the highs or too low with the lows, accept you have to suffer at times. Its all very Potter. He's said, or at least implied, that he wants to go back to club management sooner than later. If GP leaves us around 10th in the table we'd be about the right stature of club for him - higher than a relegation battle, but not quite at challenging for Europe stage, but with the potential clearly there. Dan Ashworth gave him the England managers job and he'd be leading the choice of new manager. And they both have a similar line in natty beards.

This really is a depressing thought. Southgate has many of Potter’s man management and personal qualities, but none of his tactical or coaching ability.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Favre and Rodgers allegedly in the frame.

Would be worried if Rodgers went. Leicester would be a nice appointment for GP.

I don't see it, sorry. That team is rapidly approaching the end of a cycle of success and will need a big rebuild. Vardy can't go on forever and they were shockingly mediocre at Palace last time out. Decent ownership but he has that here.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't see it, sorry. That team is rapidly approaching the end of a cycle of success and will need a big rebuild. Vardy can't go on forever and they were shockingly mediocre at Palace last time out. Decent ownership but he has that here.

Interesting, in which case you would have to think Rogers will be available. I doubt he would risk his reputation on a Leicester rebuild.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Favre and Rodgers allegedly in the frame.

Would be worried if Rodgers went. Leicester would be a nice appointment for GP.
Indeed.

It is very possible there will be a vacancy at Leicester soon. I'm certain Potter will be number 1 on the list for that. We'll have a massive challenge to keep him.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Indeed.

It is very possible there will be a vacancy at Leicester soon. I'm certain Potter will be number 1 on the list for that. We'll have a massive challenge to keep him.

Brendan staying put. Not interested. Stop panicking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Haven’t read through the whole thread, but…..

Newcastle have either got to find a manager who can get a tune out of the current squad then be happy with a nice pay off and being given the heave ho back onto the job market, or….

Find a manager that can do the above and then gain the respect of and make a team out of the elite players which will no doubt be brought in as far as FFP allows (quite a lot if city is anything to go by).

I’m not sure Potter fits either of those categories. I think he’d be able to make a team out of the elite players but I’m not sure whether his stock is high enough YET to get their respect. Any dip in form and Ancelotti is in.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The thing is Newcastle are many years off 'Elite' - vicious circle that until the training facilities etc are top class, and they are competing at the right end of the table they won't attract the players they expect. Even more so a manager. So really they probably have 2-4 managers as an interim that are essentially stepping stones to get to where they want to. I doubt any manager thinks they will 'be' the project and take the job now and be there for the 'glory days'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The thing is Newcastle are many years off 'Elite' - vicious circle that until the training facilities etc are top class, and they are competing at the right end of the table they won't attract the players they expect. Even more so a manager. So really they probably have 2-4 managers as an interim that are essentially stepping stones to get to where they want to. I doubt any manager thinks they will 'be' the project and take the job now and be there for the 'glory days'

This is the job of football club manager you're talking about.

One of the ultimate revolving door careers.
Any manager taking the job now will be genuinely surprised to be in it next August.
A fact that they'll make sure is covered in their contact, 'in the unlikely event of my dismissal'. :wink:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Surely this has Zidane written all over it?

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
There's an interesting stat on the Sky website that shows that Newcastle had the eighth highest net spend in the Premier League since Steve Bruce took over. That includes £40m on Joelinton, £16m for Saint-Maximan, £20m on Callum Wilson and £25m on Joe Willock.

So all those deluded fans who claim that Ashley didn't invest might want to check their facts. Of course, if they'd also invested in some decent defensive players it might have helped.

theseagulls

Oct 30, 2020
Hopefully they choose Brendan Rogers instead. I would be pissed off because we are building something good here. I really do think in the next couple of seasons that we could be pushing for Europe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here