Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How good is Roman Bürki, Dortmund keeper coming to MLS

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Roman Bürki (Swiss) goalkeeper is leaving Borussia Dortmund and coming to MLS club St. Louis City SC. How good is he and will he be a team leader that a young club will need?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Never heard of him or the club he’s signing for.

Is he in his early 40’s?!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Never heard of him or the club he’s signing for.

Is he in his early 40’s?!

St Louis is the newest MLS club that starts in the 2023 season.

From wikipedia "The history of football (soccer) in the United States:

Soccer was popular among communities with large immigrant populations. Many towns in the West Hudson area of New Jersey, such as Kearny and Paterson, both of which had textile factories established and staffed by British companies. Residents of these areas founded the National Association Football League in 1895.[2]: 27–28 

Another notable location was centered around Fall River, Massachusetts, which also had textile companies and many immigrants from England. This area had the Bristol County League in 1886 and the Southern New England League in 1914.[2]: 28 

The third major location was St. Louis, Missouri, where the Catholic Church was primarily responsible for introducing soccer into its recreational programs. The St. Louis League was founded in 1886 and modified the FA's rules to its own liking, as did the St. Louis Soccer League, founded in 1903.[2]: 28–29 

Other communities where soccer had taken hold were Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.[2]: 30 

Bürki is 31 years old.

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Not Dortmund standard really if critical but must be as had nearly 200 matches, but a very decent top 5 leagues keeper. Bit early to be semi-retiring and going to States so a good signing. Mat Ryan like style wise if I remember rightly and best comparison can give most people will know. Doesn’t strike me as commanding his box and not a huge keeper either. A less good Keylor Navas?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
On a similar theme, how is former albion target Alan Velasco doing at FC Dallas ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here