Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How good can Solly March become?...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Whatever the description,the point is, do you agree that SM and AK are important to our promotion aspirations ?
Yes entirely agree. On their day they are fantastic to watch and give opposition fullbacks a really hard time.

As far as aspirations go, I am just pleased that we have nearly enough points to be safe for another season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Prior to the Cardiff game last season, there never was a problem with his trickery or belief, in my view, the problem was with his decision-making and composure, especially at crucial moments.
That's not how I see it. Of course his decision making will improve, as it does for all players, but I don't think he beat his man so much before Cardiff, and I don't think he had the belief.

Of course no problem we disagree.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
An Israeli journo friend of mine who sees a lot of top class football around Europe was at the Brentford game to watch Hemed and Kayal (bit of a waste of time, the second part) and at the end he just said: 'Wow. Who is Solly March?'

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's not how I see it. Of course his decision making will improve, as it does for all players, but I don't think he beat his man so much before Cardiff, and I don't think he had the belief.

Of course no problem we disagree.

I do disagree with you, on this, Brexit, poverty and inequality and, hopefully, much, much more :smile:
No, all players don't improve their decision-making, which is why some go to the very top, and the vast majority fall by the wayside. Solly didn't suddenly get an injection of confidence after 20-odd minutes against Cardiff; he'd been beating players (plural) for game after game beforehand, it was just his final ball and finishing that wasn't up to scratch.
Another thing that's been overstated on this thread relates to his consistency. There are remarkably few wingers that are consistent. That's what's to be expected of centre-backs and defensive midfielders, not wingers. Last season, he really turned it on against Birmingham and Cardiff. So far, this season for 30 minutes against Birmingham, one half against Brentford and also yesterday. That's not to say that he hasn't been up to much in the other games he's played, but he's not going to reach those heights on a regular basis.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do disagree with you, on this, Brexit, poverty and inequality
You must love poverty and inequality then.
Another thing that's been overstated on this thread relates to his consistency. There are remarkably few wingers that are consistent. That's what's to be expected of centre-backs and defensive midfielders, not wingers.
Like I said:
Hughton said in an interview the other day that Knockaert was the type of player that wouldn't be able to produce every game. Although different, I expect that could also apply a little to Solly.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
A few seasons back I went to watch Forest play and Aaron Ramsey was playing on loan from Arsenal. I draw strong similarities back then to how March looks and plays now. Let's hope he kicks on like Ramsey did!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Solly March and Anthony Knockaert have been on the pitch at the same time for a total of 356 minutes so far this season (not including injury time), in that time the team has scored 14 goals. A goal every 25 minutes on average.

Home 271 minutes, 9 goals
Away 85 minutes, 5 goals

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
To be sure, I wish to see him flourish against FBs of the better teams. Correct me if wrong, but his best games seem to have been against weaker teams.

I agree. I have yet to see him turn it on against one of the top teams in this league like he did on Saturday. I remember him ripping MK Dons a new one before he got that lengthy injury against Derby last year, and he changed the game against Birmingham earlier in the season. But his last two performances have been superb, so I really hope he continues this form into the Reading and Newcastle games later this month.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To be sure, I wish to see him flourish against FBs of the better teams. Correct me if wrong, but his best games seem to have been against weaker teams.

I think Birmingham were in the top six (or not far off) when we played them two months ago, and were a goal to the good. Brentford, while far lower down the league, were two up a week ago when Solly came on.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Solly March and Anthony Knockaert have been on the pitch at the same time for a total of 356 minutes so far this season (not including injury time), in that time the team has scored 14 goals. A goal every 25 minutes on average.

Home 271 minutes, 9 goals
Away 85 minutes, 5 goals

To put my earlier post into context, our average goal per minutes this season is a goal every 53 minutes.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Even though he was playing in our unbeaten run at the start of the 15/16 season, and for the England U21s from May 14 onwards.

yes, Lualua had the starting spot ahead of him and arch came in after that. He never seemed to show a decent performance, although some glimpses of quality, on a regular basis. I didn't feel we would miss him when he got injured and didnt worry about rushing him back once Knockaert started playing.

I have been hugely impressed with him everytime he has played over the last 2 months

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
yes, Lualua had the starting spot ahead of him and arch came in after that. He never seemed to show a decent performance, although some glimpses of quality, on a regular basis. I didn't feel we would miss him when he got injured and didnt worry about rushing him back once Knockaert started playing.

I have been hugely impressed with him everytime he has played over the last 2 months

I liked him from that time and thought he was a good player. It's my opinion, and this article quoting Baldock seems to agree with me.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/15087392.Sky_s_the_limit_for_Albion_winger_March/?ref=mr&lp=3

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Am I the only one that thought he had a very average first half v Burton but a great second half?
I am surprised that there is not a video of his best bits, or is there?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

LuaLua started last season on the left, with March on the right, who started 13 out of 19 Championship games prior to his injury.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Am I the only one that thought he had a very average first half v Burton but a great second half?
I am surprised that there is not a video of his best bits, or is there?

No, you're not. Couple of decent runs in the first half, but nothing like his second half performance. The Sky highlights actually have a fair amount of what he did anyway, and obviously the extended highlights on player do too. I'm sure [MENTION=22888]ChazzyBHA[/MENTION] will be putting something together if his form continues :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

No, you're not. Couple of decent runs in the first half, but nothing like his second half performance.

He may not have done 'much' first half, but what he did do was great.

It was his great control, then 40 yard cross-field pass (with the outside of his right boot) that opened up play, setting Knockaert away for the opening goal.

Then toward the end he had a terrific run to the byline, past three players, before hitting it across the goal line, six inches in front of Hemed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He may not have done 'much' first half, but what he did do was great.

It was his great control, then 40 yard cross-field pass (with the outside of his right boot) that opened up play, setting Knockaert away for the opening goal.

Then toward the end he had a terrific run to the byline, past three players, before hitting it across the goal line, six inches in front of Hemed.
True, true.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here