Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How FANTASTIC Has This Weekend Been For The Town?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
When I did the grand tour of the Amex Brighton Falmer Community World In Union International Stadium (I think that covers all the bases!) I was told the club, financially, would only benefit from renting the stadium out to the RWC and the catering/bar revenue. The rest goes into the coffers of the RWC.

I have enough confidence in Barber P and Bloom A to assume that the rental price charged to the RWC was rather beneficial for us!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Nothing is as historically important as Abba's 1974 Eurovision win. NOTHING!! :lolol:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
And just WHO considered the unbroken SEA-VIEWS of those unfortunate souls who'd INVESTED in highly-priced sea-front PROPERTIES? Didn't hear a peep of nimby action over the i360. And apple should sue them for prefixing it with an 'i'... Would have thought it was INTELLECTUAL property.

Think you'll find that belongs to ITV, in this country at least.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Oh dear if the locals dont realise they live in a city rather than a town what hope is there for the future. Can we at least get the thread title correct?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Agree, it's been great. It makes it even more surprising how difficult the council made it with regards to getting an International venue built in the city.

I think you've got a bit mixed up there: B & H council was all for the stadium (IIRC, there was only one vote, a Lib Dem, against), it was Lewes council that was against it. I think we've all seen the benefit this weekend

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think you've got a bit mixed up there: B & H council was all for the stadium (IIRC, there was only one vote, a Lib Dem, against), it was Lewes council that was against it. I think we've all seen the benefit this weekend

I look at it from since we tried for Waterhall when it appeared that the council were apathetic about the city even having a football team let alone an international venue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I look at it from since we tried for Waterhall when it appeared that the council were apathetic about the city even having a football team let alone an international venue.

Don't get that at all. The council have been pretty pro-Albion and pro-stadium - there was even a referendum question about it. And, I believe, (and I'm sure someone can confirm) the council actually provided the land for the stadium. I don't ever recall the council (of any flavour) being apathetic about the stadium

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Don't get that at all. The council have been pretty pro-Albion and pro-stadium - there was even a referendum question about it. And, I believe, (and I'm sure someone can confirm) the council actually provided the land for the stadium. I don't ever recall the council (of any flavour) being apathetic about the stadium

The council were passengers, unlike with the i360.

The proposals made by the Archer regime failed even to meet the minimum requirements to count as a proper planning application. I don't recall any serious proposals for Waterhall and, as far as Toads Hole Valley was concerned, Hove Borough Council asked for more details, but Bellotti never provided them. It wasn't the Council that was "apathetic". It was the football club that wasn't serious about pursuing the project. All Archer wanted to do was sell the Goldstone and pocket the proceeds.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
I’m sure many have or could put it better – but here are my thoughts of the last famous weekend.

Many eyebrows were raised when Brighton’s football ground was controversially selected as a venue for the Rugby World Cup in front of so many traditional Rugby club grounds. They argued that it wouldn’t produce an authentic rugby atmosphere even if the facilities were superior? Those people in my opinion, underestimate the desire of every host nation of every international sporting event to show themselves in the best light.

We know how impressive the stadium looks from our padded seats, but for those people not in the West Stand who have not had the fortune to take the stadium tour, you may not realise just what world class facilities were built into the West Stands specification. Add to that the stunning location, the famous charisma of the City by the Sea and the excellent transport links, for the organisers it must have been a “no brainer”!

Their decision, however, has been vindicated with a vengeance that even the most optimistic proponent couldn’t have envisaged – one of the greatest rugby games ever – one the world most memorable sporting events of the year – hosting two of the worlds largest and most sophisticated nations – played out in a carnival atmosphere of sun, sparkle and success beamed around the world. Historical memories that will forever, for so many become folklore

Magnificent for the club.

Magnificent for Brighton, Hove & Sussex.

Magnificent for England Rugby.

Magnificent for England the nation.

Just a shame there had to be two fall guys!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The proposals made by the Archer regime failed even to meet the minimum requirements to count as a proper planning application. I don't recall any serious proposals for Waterhall and, as far as Toads Hole Valley was concerned, Hove Borough Council asked for more details, but Bellotti never provided them. It wasn't the Council that was "apathetic". It was the football club that wasn't serious about pursuing the project. All Archer wanted to do was sell the Goldstone and pocket the proceeds.

I seem to remember that the council initially refused to let us play at Withdean and it took a lot of work to persuade them otherwise to bring the club back home.

I don't really want to stray into the Archer business because it is now becoming far removed from my original comment which was simply praising the club, but now it has been brought up; When the Goldstone was first sold, it wasn't fit for many more seasons, two at best, needed £millions spent on it to bring it up to league standard, we were £6m in debt and on the verge of being kicked out of the league.

Archer made money from the second sale of the site but by that time he had already been punched in the face and had been toppled. I couldn't tell you if he had good intentions of using that money to invest in a new stadium or just planned to run away with it, but seeing as he wasn't at the club, due to public demand, at the time of the second sale I am not surprised that he kept it.

I disliked what happened at the time but looking back on it I am not too sure on the choices we had. We needed to clear our £6m debt that season, and had to invest probably at least another £10m into the Goldstone immediately just to bring it up to minimal league standards. That is at least a £16m shortfall, and no one could have realistically come up with that sort of cash to take the club over.

The Goldstone was never fit for full scale development because of the East Stand so any money put into a temporary fix would have been a waste of money in the long term, because we still needed a new stadium.

I presume Archer first put in a pre-planning application for Waterhall which is the standard process, but on the face of it, in principle, it was a good choice of location.

I would love to know what the other option was because we only hear of what he shouldn't have done not what he should. Maybe you could help me with the other option available to get around the £16m shortfall?

Anyway my point about the council is they are apathetic and slow about everything. The West Pier fiasco and the lack of will to replace the old SS ice rink are prime examples of this.

It's a good job we had Knight, Perry and Bloom to push the Amex through so the whole city can enjoy international events. I don't give the council credit for this because they suggested Sheepcote Valley.

Last edited:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Any chance we can come back to the point that this was a fantastic weekend for the city and find other threads to grind axes about the council, the i360, etc. etc...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here