Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How does facebook work?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I now love the people I might know app, suggested a girl that gave me a BJ in Key West 5 years ago.... we are now back in contact happy days these apps are not all bad.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I barely use FB now because, as others have said above, the proliferation of over-sharing is quite horrendous and I found myself disliking people I very much liked before I read their Facebook missives.

Anyway, back to the main question. Coincidentally this morning I've received a "People you might know" email from FB and it's completely bizarre and seemingly constitutes only people with comedy names...

People you may know

Add the people you know to see their photos and updates.

Chiffy Nembudani-Ratshimbilani
Midrand, Gauteng
Add Friend

Pfunzo Claribel Ramugumo
Good Hope School
Add Friend

Zanele Zondo
Ernst & Young
Add Friend

Bbebusie Maphanga
Add Friend

Valentine Malevu
Works at FNB
Add Friend

Nonduduzo Khanyile-Kheswa
Add Friend

Moipone Sebotsa
Accounts Administrator at Mogale Solution Provider
Add Friend

Martha Morudu
Add Friend

Thandi Nkosi
Montebello High School
Add Friend

Nnditsheni Mongwe
Works at Self-employed

Most of those names seem like ones we delete as spammers on here, could the link be your e mail address on here and you use / have used, the same on FB?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Most of those names seem like ones we delete as spammers on here, could the link be your e mail address on here and you use / have used, the same on FB?

No.

I'm sure these are all real people. They all look South-African, or similar, to me so I suspect something within Facebook's algorithm has gone a bit awry, believing me to have some sort of South-African connection. I don't.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No.

I'm sure these are all real people. They all look South-African, or similar, to me so I suspect something within Facebook's algorithm has gone a bit awry, believing me to have some sort of South-African connection. I don't.

Are you on LinkedIn? That looks like a list of people that you would get on there, so maybe you are linked to someone who knows someone who knows someone who works at First National Bank in SA.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
No.

Yes, you are correct, out of interest I Searched a couple of those names, they are indeed South African and very much real people, you would be surprised how many Zanele Zondo's exist on FB!!!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've installed a thing called Social Fixer (free, no affiliation). It enables you to add filters. I filter out youtube clips as I have a couple of relatives that think everyone else wants to share thier (frankly shit) music tastes.
Unfortunately it won't filter out utter shite like this :
9accecf79f50cc29c15acb851e75fd83.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I barely use FB now because, as others have said above, the proliferation of over-sharing is quite horrendous and I found myself disliking people I very much liked before I read their Facebook missives.

Anyway, back to the main question. Coincidentally this morning I've received a "People you might know" email from FB and it's completely bizarre and seemingly constitutes only people with comedy names...

People you may know

Add the people you know to see their photos and updates.

Chiffy Nembudani-Ratshimbilani
Midrand, Gauteng
Add Friend

Pfunzo Claribel Ramugumo
Good Hope School
Add Friend

Zanele Zondo
Ernst & Young
Add Friend

Bbebusie Maphanga
Add Friend

Valentine Malevu
Works at FNB
Add Friend

Nonduduzo Khanyile-Kheswa
Add Friend

Moipone Sebotsa
Accounts Administrator at Mogale Solution Provider
Add Friend

Martha Morudu
Add Friend

Thandi Nkosi
Montebello High School
Add Friend

Nnditsheni Mongwe
Works at Self-employed

I think they all came through the Channel Tunnel on a freight train last night.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I thought Facebook was only for herbalife or juice plus reps telling us all about how they have the best job in the world and using annoying phrases last muttered by David Brent...

I had two such individuals like that as friends. Not anymore. I liken Herbalife devotees to those who worship the ground of L Ron Hubbard and ol Mr Moony or whatever their names were - Brainwashed zombies.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Strange coincidence. I have a Facebook account that is largely dormant, but on checking it the other day I noticed my daughter's ex-boyfriend as someone 'I might know.' I am not linked to my daughter (who has a different surname to me) on there or anyone that her ex-boyfriend knows, there is just no connection and unlike you I don't have his phone number, have never texted or contacted him online in any way and this too left me wondering how Facebook had linked us.

My guess would be that you've been tagged in a photo with your daughter at some point, as has the ex boyfriend. Facebook then goes "Person A is in a photo with Person B and another one with Person C so C and B might know each other."

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I had two such individuals like that as friends. Not anymore. I liken Herbalife devotees to those who worship the ground of L Ron Hubbard and ol Mr Moony or whatever their names were - Brainwashed zombies.

You can have such fun with the brain washed bellends..... ask them how far up the pyramid they are and sit back and watch the response....i

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Anybody know of an app that automatically filters out photos of cats?

A few possible ways

Google up FB Purity, its an app that will filter out the ads and crap on facebook, firefox do one. It even notifies you when someone unfriends you and tells you who.

Start a comment "click Like if you really love cats" then unfollow all those that click like, or unfriend them as i do with "who hates ukip?".

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
No.

One is listed as Gauteng which is SA. Ive had you appear on people you may know. Think youve had one of those corrupt facebook viruses/malware that do the rounds. Things like click to see whos been viewing your profile ad you get taken to spam. I would contact Facebook Help/services about it but dont expect a swift response or anything helpfull.

Worst case you could clone your account then transfer friends giving an oppertuitty to leave ones you no longer want on the old account, then invalidate the email.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here