How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Inaccurate and really?

Lazy in that you don’t address the issue, you just mirrored what I wrote. Lazy and inaccurate in your assumption that I love the left. Or even support a left leaning party.

As people keep pointing out, leave politics out of it and deal with how the the people in charge , headed by Johnson are dealing with it.

I think they have done an awful job. Whatever party they are.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't think we're equipped to do it, culturally or practically. Both those countries have been dictatorships in living memory, the policing style is totally different and comparatively harsh and violent compared to what we experience.
I don't think people would stand for it here, quite rightly IMHO.

I've used the phrase a couple of time recently at some people's posts, but that beggar's belief...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think we're equipped to do it, culturally or practically. Both those countries have been dictatorships in living memory, the policing style is totally different and comparatively harsh and violent compared to what we experience.
I don't think people would stand for it here, quite rightly IMHO.

Culturally you’re right, sadly on this occasion that’s costing lives, imho.

Correct about the policing, I’ve seen people struck with police batons across the head in Spain, escalating minor situations.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Lockdown to me appears to be pretty well observed. There will always be those flouting it, but even a 90-95% adherence is remarkable, and the 5-10% flouting hasn’t been enough to stop it working.

There are a couple of factors for me that stand out way above everything else - lockdown was too late, and the care home situation wasn’t recognised or catered for. I’m convinced these two factors (allied to an ageing population) are by far and away the primary reasons for our high death rate (when all this has passed, I don’t think our total will look anything like as much as an outlier as it does now).

Away from the horrific care home numbers, every other indicator seems to be improving quite rapidly now - admissions, patients in hospital (and ITU), hospital deaths etc. This could have a significant impact on lockdown exit, with a clear distinction for the general public vs the very vulnerable.

Yep. Interesting that a few people seem to be seeing social distancing flouted on every corner, whilst I and everyone I speak to seem to have largely seen the opposite. There was a bit of street party on my road today for example. Everyone taking part without exception staying in their own front spaces, nice atmosphere. Walked down the coast, 95% clearly observing social distancing.

Social distancing has worked. Its really clear when you look at hospital deaths graph. As you say, the care home situation is the problem now and has been for a while . The government have a lot to answer for there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep. Interesting that a few people seem to be seeing social distancing flouted on every corner, whilst I and everyone I speak to seem to have largely seen the opposite. There was a bit of street party on my road today for example. Everyone taking part without exception staying in their own front spaces, nice atmosphere. Walked down the coast, 95% clearly observing social distancing.

Social distancing has worked. Its really clear when you look at hospital deaths graph. As you say, the care home situation is the problem now and has been for a while . The government have a lot to answer for there.

Just got in having spent basically the whole afternoon and evening on the lash in our close.....drifting from from house to house and having a great time chatting to, and drinking with neighbours. Literally everyone had put out a few chairs at least 2m apart on their front gardens, and had no ‘communal’ snacks or drinks. I can’t think of a single ‘breach’ of distancing rules that I’ve seen all afternoon. Also, I went running on the Downs this morning for about 2.5 hours....again, didn’t see or experience a single breach of the rules, even though it was quite busy in parts.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The part that you don’t believe as a nation we are capable of a hard lockdown, which you then appeared to defend.

Shame, as it’s costing innocent people’s lives...

It's a perfectly reasonable thing to say, policing by consent is something we should be very grateful for.
I'm not going to have an argument about it, it's my opinion only, you disagree and that's fine.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's a perfectly reasonable thing to say, policing by consent is something we should be very grateful for.
I'm not going to have an argument about it, it's my opinion only, you disagree and that's fine.

No argument from me, just found it strange that you didn’t think we were capable, as a nation of a hard lockdown, and as a consequence of this people would die unnecessarily. Not sure what that says about us then, really.

As you say, it’s about opinions...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
No argument from me, just found it strange that you didn’t think we were capable, as a nation of a hard lockdown, and as a consequence of this people would die unnecessarily. Not sure what that says about us then, really.

As you say, it’s about opinions...

I don't think the failings have been in the severity of the lockdown. This version of lockdown a week earlier + shielding care homes properly + having the correct PPE stockpiled would've hugely reduced the death count.

An authoritarian Spanith/Italian style lockdown carries a big social and psychological cost.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't think the failings have been in the severity of the lockdown. This version of lockdown a week earlier + shielding care homes properly + having the correct PPE stockpiled would've hugely reduced the death count.

An authoritarian Spanith/Italian style lockdown carries a big social and psychological cost.

Again, not as an argument, but a question, what is your interpretation of hard lockdown that the British public aren’t capable of?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Again, not as an argument, but a question, what is your interpretation of hard lockdown that the British public aren’t capable of?

Not allowed outside at all without papers, far more checkpoints, monitoring with drones, bigger fines for non-compliance.

Our culture of policing is different. I think everyone would struggle if the police had to enforce things a bit harder.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Not allowed outside at all without papers, far more checkpoints, monitoring with drones, bigger fines for non-compliance.

Our culture of policing is different. I think everyone would struggle if the police had to enforce things a bit harder.

You're sort of missing the point, the police wouldn't have to enforce anything if people did as they were told/asked to do.

This is what you clearly feel the British public can't be trusted to do! So police them lightly as the little darlings might not like being told off..

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You're sort of missing the point, the police wouldn't have to enforce anything if people did as they were told/asked to do.

This is what you clearly feel the British public can't be trusted to do! So police them lightly as the little darlings might not like being told off..

More restrictions on freedom would need more enforcement, that's a given in any society. If you want to interpret that as"the British public can't be trusted" that's up to you but it makes you sound like a tabloid headline. "Poor little darlings might not like being told off" FFS, go and live in North Korea if that's what you want.

No more from me, I'm out.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Totally agree.

I know people like you who post all this anti tory hate on Facebook, I hope you're not one because you are going to lose friends and respect over it as this is not a political matter.

You guys have only just stopped 3 + years of raging hate towards people why carry it on???

I see these post on Facebook and the people have 500 hundred or so friends and they are lucky to get 10 likes, it tells a story.

Seriously my friendly advice would be is to wind it in and stop spouting hate everywhere.

Yeah that's it, you get it, it's all about likes on Facebook :ffsparr:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Brexiteers: Close our borders!!!

Tories: Covid-19? Pah! Come on in!

map.jpg

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The one hour of exercise has clearly been ignored by thousands from what I’ve seen. Same people seem happy smashing a wooden spoon onto a saucepans every Thursday though.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yeah that's it, you get it, it's all about likes on Facebook :ffsparr:

Of course it's not.

But it is a bit of a guide to whether your friends are behind you or not in your beliefs.

I would like to get behind you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports