How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I agree with all your points.

I also think that lockdown should’ve been announced a few days earlier. But I didn’t think that at the time, I was a stunned when it was announced. I genuinely think that far more Brits would’ve disobeyed it early on, we’re an awkward, non-compliant nation (or many of us are).

Totally agree, I was talking about this with my partner.
I also, with hindsight, think we were a week late with the lockdown, but as a nation of people who don't like being told what to do i'd bet money that a sudden lockdown announcement would've caused uproar. People definitely would've disobeyed more than with the current situation.
It shows what the government are up against trying too manage the situation, whatever they do someone is going to be upset.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Boris is not in control of this in any way, shape or form. Waiting until Sunday of this weekend is ridiculous and after the papers basically loosened the lockdown this morning nothing was done to correct them. Where was he today? The daily press conference was weak as ****. Looking forward to the pictures of Brighton beach on the very same front pages on Sunday blaming the public for his failings. Useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
[MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION]’s early posts about the threat, were met with jokes or derision by many of us.

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

There's a quote from a scientist somewhere (wish I could find it) along the lines of "The thing with pandemics, is the initial response always looks over-the-top, but looking back you'll always wish you acted sooner". How true is that?!

My biggest regret is not betting earlier on the Olympics getting cancelled (and the Euros too). Easy money, but I got crap odds.

Next time.... Let's hope there's never a next time.

(As an aside, was scolded by Albion friends weeks ago for a) being too negative and b) attacking the government in time of crisis. Ok gents!)

Jimmy Grimble

Boris is not in control of this in any way, shape or form. Waiting until Sunday of this weekend is ridiculous and after the papers basically loosened the lockdown this morning nothing was done to correct them. Where was he today? The daily press conference was weak as ****. Looking forward to the pictures of Brighton beach on the very same front pages on Sunday blaming the public for his failings. Useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on what I saw today, this weekend could see the kind of numbers we saw the week pre lockdown on the beach and in the parks.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yes, I agree with you. If Bernard Ingham invented the weaponizing of English Spin doctoring, Campbell nuclear-proliferated it.

But in both their cases these two were pursuing what they saw was a rightous cause.

I don't see Boris as a man like Maggie or Mr Tony (at their beginnings; both lost their vision later but that's for another day).

And I don't see Cummings as a man with a rightous cause. Brexit is far too narrow to fit that bill. And if Boris has spent the last 20 years with Brexit as his rightous cause then he's covered that up well. Yes, we both know that he has barely given Brexit a thought till it suited him. But....that's OK.

Nevertheless....when it comes to relentless spin, if the current government has hitched its wagon to that (relentless spin) as its main tactic for everything, it is surely far too soon, lacking in a rightous cause (other than to 'win') and in that regard, rather new and rather American. People will eventually see through it and sniff at it.

But I did say if. I am letting out my leash on Boris right now, as I hope his professional ememies (Starmer's labour) will. Then, if a yank back is required it will be all the more brutal.

Yes, Ingham and Campbell were masters of their craft the current government's operation is decidedly second rate, not that I blame them. The government are dealing with a monumental health crisis combined with an immense economic crisis, policy decisions that would normally take months and years to assess and enact are being made on a weekly basis, the government/civil service machine is being tested like never before. On top of all that they have to deal with a vociferous press constantly looking for the next story/gotcha moment. If only the country was run by the press and the numerous peeps on social media who always seem to have all the answers .. :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, Ingham and Campbell were masters of their craft the current government's operation is decidedly second rate, not that I blame them. The government are dealing with a monumental health crisis combined with an immense economic crisis, policy decisions that would normally take months and years to assess and enact are being made on a weekly basis, the government/civil service machine is being tested like never before. On top of all that they have to deal with a vociferous press constantly looking for the next story/gotcha moment. If only the country was run by the press and the numerous peeps on social media who always seem to have all the answers .. :wink:

:lolol: :bigwave:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wow. I've just read through the first ten pages of this thread and, judging by the comments, you all of a sudden understand why the poll lands the way it does. [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION], [MENTION=11720]kevo[/MENTION], [MENTION=83]Dick Knights Mumm[/MENTION] and [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] were all paying attention :thumbsup:

You cannot trust the British public with anything, it'll be carnage come Monday.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I think you can trust 80% of the British public and also think most will still abide with social distancing for quite some time. Yes it'll be nice to go to beach/countryside or whatever but I am certain the majority in doing so will be staying 2 metres apart as being scared of possibly catching the virus!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think you can trust 80% of the British public and also think most will still abide with social distancing for quite some time. Yes it'll be nice to go to beach/countryside or whatever but I am certain the majority in doing so will be staying 2 metres apart as being scared of possibly catching the virus!

Agreed. Supermarkets aside, haven’t seen ANYONE not respecting social distancing in the last few weeks. The vast majority are compliant - let them loose in the parks and on the beaches with the same rules and it won’t change much. It’s mostly self-policing

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Totally agree. Load of rubbish to say you can't trust the British public with anything. There's been a lot less trouble here with people flouting rules than many many other countries, for a start. The vast majority will still be out and about but still very respectful of social distancing, as they have been throughout this period, as you say.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Totally agree. Load of rubbish to say you can't trust the British public with anything. There's been a lot less trouble here with people flouting rules than many many other countries, for a start. The vast majority will still be out and about but still very respectful of social distancing, as they have been throughout this period, as you say.

I don't necessarily disagree, bit what's that based on? I've read numerous stories of lockdown violations in the UK.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree, bit what's that based on? I've read numerous stories of lockdown violations in the UK.

I'm not saying there haven't been violations, of course there have been. But elsewhere there have been anti lockdown protests - Germany, of course the USA. France, a lot of trouble in poorer suburbs of cities. South American countries - Mexico and Brazil clashes. And there will have been the same levels of general day to day violations in most countries around the world, I'm sure.

I was really making the point that some people need a bit of perspective when they critise the British public; say we can't be trusted; we not very good at being told what to do, etc. The way the vast majority have respected lockdown and the huge number of stories of folk helping each other, reaching out, hundreds of thousands signing up to be nhs volunteers, giving to charity etc during this time, shows that actually yes we can be trusted, and actually the vast majority of us are decent folk, just like other countries!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

So why, exactly, have we got such a high death rate, those people have to have been catching it from somewhere/someone... Clearly social distancing hasn't worked for them.

D

Deleted member 2719

We had home advantage and an own goal head start by the opposition, and yet we find ourselves 1-3 approaching HT. I’m sure you would be in the crowd politely clapping the team off.

Germany are different, but also decisive and efficient.

Besides, your vociferous condemnation of all things anti-Brexit or left of centre speaks only of a completely partisan opinion who’d no doubt be out flag waving at a job well down as the highest deaths in Europe ticks over. Well done us, down with any negativity and keep the thousands of grieving families out of sight because hooray for the government, they’re knocking this thing out of the park.

Your attitude appears to be inline with a journalist, sorry if I have insulted you.

It is sickening to see repeated mudslinging from the same old few, they still believe this is political revenge, because of Brexit and the election outcome.

They are unreal and unwelcome as human beings at this point in time, I have said it many times, there are so many variables from country to country, obesity, ethnicity, testing labs, public transport and so on.

At this point, you can not have your little league table to try and prove facts, as it just doesn't work.

You can only fully judge the picture after Covid 19 has fizzled out in a year or so.

So the vultures need to swoop around in circles for some time yet before they even attempt to get their feeding.

The Wuhan lockdown prevented the virus from taking off nationally in China so deaths / per million in China is going to be lower.

Do you seriously believe Chinas deaths though???

That handful of people that you are hell bent on defending are the ones making decisions that affecting our lives, so we all have the right to question the rationale behind every decision they have made and plan on making.

I am defending them, as any person residing in our isles should be, this is not political, it is war and a handful of people have lost sight that we are in this together and the media are just doing a job of stirring the gullible up.

Compare apples with apples? What on earth are you talking about?

I recall some people on here at the start of all this saying "Thank God Corbyn isn't in charge". If your mob can blame someone who isn't even in power, I'll lay some blame at Johnson's door. Thanks.

Apples with apples? You mean oranges, no?

Okay I was too cryptic for you with that one, all apples are apples like all countries are countries, but they are not if you like cox, you might not like a pink lady.

Like I said too many variables to compare alike.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Funny how all the rags are shouting about freedom, the 30,000 odd will soon be forgotten by some

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Your attitude appears to be inline with a journalist, sorry if I have insulted you.

It is sickening to see repeated mudslinging from the same old few, they still believe this is political revenge, because of Brexit and the election outcome.

They are unreal and unwelcome as human beings at this point in time, I have said it many times, there are so many variables from country to country, obesity, ethnicity, testing labs, public transport and so on.

At this point, you can not have your little league table to try and prove facts, as it just doesn't work.

You can only fully judge the picture after Covid 19 has fizzled out in a year or so.

So the vultures need to swoop around in circles for some time yet before they even attempt to get their feeding.

Do you seriously believe Chinas deaths though???

I am defending them, as any person residing in our isles should be, this is not political, it is war and a handful of people have lost sight that we are in this together and the media are just doing a job of stirring the gullible up.

Okay I was too cryptic for you with that one, all apples are apples like all countries are countries, but they are not if you like cox, you might not like a pink lady.

Like I said too many variables to compare alike.

I think you meant comparing apples and oranges.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
"The Wuhan lockdown prevented the virus from taking off nationally in China so deaths / per million in China is going to be lower."

Do you seriously believe Chinas deaths though

I'm not concerned by the actual number of reported deaths in China. My point was that the Chinese government realised the only way to halt the spread at that time was by entering a lockdown in order to prevent transmission. Virtually every other country followed suit like domino's apart from a couple who ramped up testing, tracing, and isolating infected people to stop the spread.

We saw this coming from across the other side of the World yet we dithered, floated " herd Immunity " and delayed, we did not ramp up testing, tracing or sourcing of PPE or get effective controls in place before the real surge came. As usual. the government tried to wing it on the cheap and hoped we could get away with it not costing too many lives and business not being disrupted too much.

So, if you look up at the thread title, you should deduce that Johnson has handled it badly, other countries lost so many people and their deaths could have prevented many thousands of our deaths, they died in vain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports