How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[TWEET]1256973900031897601[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1256975561953554433[/TWEET]

A damning bit of evidence of the government playing PR in a crisis.

Just do your jobs as best you can for the country, not your ratings. Take a bit of flak if 100k per day was missed, but as long as you were trying your best and the number was increasing day by day, so be it. Instead, another chink of trust lost as we see ratings more important than actual need.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A damning bit of evidence of the government playing PR in a crisis.

Just do your jobs as best you can for the country, not your ratings. Take a bit of flak if 100k per day was missed, but as long as you were trying your best and the number was increasing day by day, so be it. Instead, another chink of trust lost as we see ratings more important than actual need.

Sánchez in Spain and Macron in France both held their hands up in recent weeks and admitted that mistakes had been made. All we get from Bojo and co is slogans and spin.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So, who trusts the Government Covid19 App ?

I don't trust anything Johnson says, nor any strategy devised by Cummings.

Cambridge Analytica casts a long and dark shadow.

Apparently they could have developed a non-centralised app which would not have these issues, but they went for the centralised version instead. What is their hidden agenda ?

Unless I can be persuaded otherwise then I won't be installing their App.

However, I am indeed open to persuasion that there is nothing to worry about and Johnson and Cummings have honest and transparent motives with this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Apparently they could have developed a non-centralised app which would not have these issues, but they went for the centralised version instead. What is their hidden agenda ?

However, I am indeed open to persuasion that there is nothing to worry about and Johnson and Cummings have honest and transparent motives with this.

the question you pose is, do you trust Google/Apple or NHS.

the decentralised app presented by Google/Apple is maybe decentralised, they have to do some centralised processing, data transfers to match people otherwise it will be fairly ineffective. they promise not to use this data or metadata, not access the data, promise. only third parties can, and they wont do anything with the data either, promise.

the centralised app by NHS wants to access the data, they want to be able to analyse it for links and push messages for direct to users in a targeted way. no hidden agenda, up front about it.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

the decentralised app presented by Google/Apple is maybe decentralised, they have to do some centralised processing, data transfers to match people otherwise it will be fairly ineffective. they promise not to use this data or metadata, not access the data, promise. only third parties can, and they wont do anything with the data either, promise.

the centralised app by NHS wants to access the data, they want to be able to analyse it for links and push messages for direct to users in a targeted way. no hidden agenda, up front about it.
OK, but how do I get over my deep distrust of Johnson and Cummings ?

I suppose that is something I can only rationalise myself :shrug:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Do you not think it sensible to assume nothing is untoward until it's actually proved? The app has been developed by the NHS, I'm sure I read that it was a template from somewhere else (possibly SK)

Spreading this kind of conspiracy rubbish could ruin contact tracing. Everyone needs to have a think about that before making accusations they can't prove.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Do you not think it sensible to assume nothing is untoward until it's actually proved? The app has been developed by the NHS, I'm sure I read that it was a template from somewhere else (possibly SK)

Spreading this kind of conspiracy rubbish could ruin contact tracing. Everyone needs to have a think about that before making accusations they can't prove.
OK. Sorry.

I was hoping to hear something that would change my mind.

I'll shut up about it now, and just ignore the app exists.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thanks. What's your answer to this question?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
OK, but how do I get over my deep distrust of Johnson and Cummings ?

I suppose that is something I can only rationalise myself :shrug:

I don't trust them either and, if anything, my loathing for Cambridge Analytica -- or anything Robert Mercer-related -- extends even further. That said, my current position is that I'll be signing up for this app -- and the reasons for doing so seem obvious -- unless someone can persuade me otherwise. Do have a go.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't trust them either and, if anything, my loathing for Cambridge Analytica -- or anything Robert Mercer-related -- extends even further. That said, my current position is that I'll be signing up for this app -- and the reasons for doing so seem obvious -- unless someone can persuade me otherwise. Do have a go.
I said I'd shut up about it, but as an aside my intention was never to persuade anyone else not to use the app.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks. What's your answer to this question?

:shrug: rock and hard place for those inclinded to worry about it. im not particularly concerned with either, but then i work with data. the NHS one delivers more, will be far more productive.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
That’s really strange, because I participate in a weekly video call with all the other sales directors across Europe within my organisation and not one of them is aghast at how the UK is responding.

These guys can be as direct as it comes when giving their views on politics and current affairs in each others countries (Ive had 3yrs of relentless piss taking over Brexit! ). However at the moment all I hear on these calls is that everyone is facing challenges and there is a broad agreement that everyone’s respective governments are trying their best.

what was the jist of the 3 year long, relentless piss taking over brexit?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Unlike most posters here, I don’t mind Boris. Sorry.

But I wish he hadn’t given this interview to the Scum on Sunday. A disgusting rag with a long history of despicable acts (with its sister publications).

Politicians and others should quietly give it the cold shoulder.

imo they are excellent bedfellows

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I agree.

But if the government (not just Boris or UK) had come out and explained the thought process behind it and how it’s next to harmless to children and the healthy the confidence would have been higher?

so there was a consistent thought process behind it? right o

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

bungle has got a lot of form for bullshitting lies he has no chance of carrying of, but still does it anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports