How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Now is not the time for exploiting this crisis for political point-scoring or drawing premature conclusions based on inaccurate data. Christopher Whitty CB FRCP FFPH FMedSci, physician and epidemiologist, Chief Medical Officer for England, Chief Medical Adviser to the UK Government, Chief Scientific Adviser at the Department of Health and Social Care and Head of the National Institute for Health Research says the only way to compare death rates was by measuring “all-cause mortality adjusted for age” and that it was too early to do this. “Everyone agrees this is the key metric and the reason for that is every country measures its Covid cases in a slightly different way,”

He also recommends reading this ....

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...how-does-britain-compare-with-other-countries

... to better understand death rate comparisons.

Nailed it - the country by country comparisons are so variable.................the figures I think we should be primarily focused on are the actual trending numbers - no. of new positive tests, no. of people hospitalised and in ITU and confirmed deaths by actual date of death. I went to an event a few months ago where Spiegelhalter was the keynote speaker - he was brilliant. His book, The Art of Statistics, is well worth a read if you like that kind of thing. Every news bulletin, though, starts with the cumulative number ('bad news') and the number of the day ('bad news') ......................and the 'breaking' tickers are always the same.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You raise an interesting point actually about how much the Conservative political choice of austerity, and the ensuing cuts, are to blame for the ill-preparedness for our response to the pandemic. I am sure that will much dissected in the coming months/years.

the pro-conservative will say it prepared finance, the anti-conservative will say they are to blame for no preparation of health service. no one will pay attention on what was prepared for or wasn't, if this is the same or if it was affected.

dont think theres been much relection yet that the health service hasn't been near capacity, the original fear, or wondered why this is while still having quite a high death rate.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's only a Survation poll... but it is interesting because it runs contrary to so much of the social and mainstream media coverage:

Survation Westminster Voting Intention: 27-28/04/2020

CON: 48% (+4)
LAB: 31% (-2)
LDEM: 8% (-3)
GRN: 5% (+2)
SNP: 4% (-1)
PC: 1% (-)

Changes w/ 2019 general election.

Yeah, blud, the MSM hates the Tories

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nailed it - the country by country comparisons are so variable.................the figures I think we should be primarily focused on are the actual trending numbers - no. of new positive tests, no. of people hospitalised and in ITU and confirmed deaths by actual date of death. I went to an event a few months ago where Spiegelhalter was the keynote speaker - he was brilliant. His book, The Art of Statistics, is well worth a read if you like that kind of thing. Every news bulletin, though, starts with the cumulative number ('bad news') and the number of the day ('bad news') ......................and the 'breaking' tickers are always the same.

The same Speigelhalter who said: "it's not looking good, is it"?
Jeez. I'd hate to think what bad would look like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the pro-conservative will say it prepared finance, the anti-conservative will say they are to blame for no preparation of health service. no one will pay attention on what was prepared for or wasn't, if this is the same or if it was affected.

dont think theres been much relection yet that the health service hasn't been near capacity, the original fear, or wondered why this is while still having quite a high death rate.

Personally, I am trying to be as objective as I can. I have put my party politics to one side, listened to the government experts, and gone with the government’s own self-imposed metrics. 20,000 deaths will be good. And 100,000 tests a day will also be good.......

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It sounds very noble doesn’t it, until it affects you personally. Forget the agenda and look at people. Not numbers, but people.
By accusing people of politicising it, you are doing just that, politicising it.

Um no. What a ridiculous plea to "forget the agenda" of people who have an agenda. It is quite possible to point out those that have an existing agenda and are politicising without being political oneself.
I am not surprised though that some people would prefer their political agenda is just forgotten. They must feel some shame after all that during the pandemic they have been so vulgar.
(NB Constructive criticism of government to achieve a more positive outcome during the crisis should not be confused with people who have a political agenda and who will seek out negativity at every opportunity because they hate the current gov.)

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's only a Survation poll... but it is interesting because it runs contrary to so much of the social and mainstream media coverage:

Survation Westminster Voting Intention: 27-28/04/2020

CON: 48% (+4)
LAB: 31% (-2)
LDEM: 8% (-3)
GRN: 5% (+2)
SNP: 4% (-1)
PC: 1% (-)

Changes w/ 2019 general election.

Wouldnt it be nice if a survation poll came out currently with

REALLY? ARE YOU FOOKING KIDDING ME. YOU DONT THINK THERE IS OTHER MORE IMPORTANT CRAP GOING AT THE MOMENT THAN PHONING ME UP TO FIND OUT WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR - 100%
CON: 0%
LAB: 0%
LDEM: 0%
GRN: 0%
SNP: 0%
PC: 0%

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wouldnt it be nice if a survation poll came out currently with

REALLY? ARE YOU FOOKING KIDDING ME. YOU DONT THINK THERE IS OTHER MORE IMPORTANT CRAP GOING AT THE MOMENT THAN PHONING ME UP TO FIND OUT WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR - 100%
CON: 0%
LAB: 0%
LDEM: 0%
GRN: 0%
SNP: 0%
PC: 0%

If you don’t think the government are thinking how this will affect their polls, you are very naive.

Your political agenda is painfully obvious. Anyone who questions the Tory party, you accuse of politicising a crisis.
Pray tell, exactly what harm is criticising the government going to do? What harm is polling people going to do?

Save your faux outrage, Pasta. It’s damned obvious to everyone on here that you are using this crisis to have a pop at anyone who questions your beloved Tory party. It’s cringe-worthy.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Anyone who thinks that this Cummins-infused government will not try to milk every drop of political capital from this is naïve. When Matt Hancock went into his list of thank yous for achieving the 100k tests, it was like listening to an Oscar winner's speech

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If you don’t think the government are thinking how this will affect their polls, you are very naive.

Your political agenda is painfully obvious. Anyone who questions the Tory party, you accuse of politicising a crisis.
Pray tell, exactly what harm is criticising the government going to do? What harm is polling people going to do?

Save your faux outrage, Pasta. It’s damned obvious to everyone on here that you are using this crisis to have a pop at anyone who questions your beloved Tory party. It’s cringe-worthy.

Im sure they are thinking about polling, I didn’t say they were not. They are slimy politicians after all. Polling is just something I have zero interest in at the moment, I cant see where I have said it causes harm so rather pointless of you asking what harm it causes.
Literally one post before the one you replied to and previously on here I have said criticism of government is fine, especially when its constructive and achieves a more positive outcome during this crisis.
I don’t do outrage, faux or otherwise.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Im sure they are thinking about polling, I didn’t say they were not. They are slimy politicians after all. Polling is just something I have zero interest in at the moment, I cant see where I have said it causes harm so rather pointless of you asking what harm it causes.
Literally one post before the one you replied to and previously on here I have said criticism of government is fine, especially when its constructive and achieves a more positive outcome during this crisis.
I don’t do outrage, faux or otherwise.

Okay

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to laugh at some of his comments regarding his hospital stay. Yesterday he pronounced he was given litres and litres of oxygen, ignoring the fact that we all breath in about 2700lts of oxygen a day.

Today he announces there were contingency plans in case he died. Well I very much suspect that there were contingency plans ready from the day he was elected!!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Have to laugh at some of his comments regarding his hospital stay. Yesterday he pronounced he was given litres and litres of oxygen, ignoring the fact that we all breath in about 2700lts of oxygen a day.

Today he announces there were contingency plans in case he died. Well I very much suspect that there were contingency plans ready from the day he was elected!!!

What were the plans? Re-open pubs so we can celebrate?

That’s unfair . I don’t wish he’d died of corona virus.
I was hoping he’d recover . And then get hit by a bus as he was leaving hospital.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The rest of the world are aghast at how poorly the Tory government has handled this. Many people simply in disbelief that we are not speaking up more. How badly the NHS are being treated. People asking why a 99 yr old is walking to help them. Why is our “lockdown” so weak and so poorly enforced? Why are so many dying?

We are in big trouble. The Tory’s have a lot of blood on their hands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports