How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If this absolute balls up doesn't convince people that Britain is simply not capable of operating on it's own as a "Sovereign" nation, especially under a Tory leadership, then nothing will.

Probably the daftest thing I've ever read on NSC!

It doesn’t help when Hancock refers to the British vaccine from Oxford, when the company is British & Swedish.

Oxford University is part Swedish? ???

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It doesn’t help when Hancock refers to the British vaccine from Oxford, when the company is British & Swedish.

the vaccine is from Oxford university, the production and distribution is Astrazeneca.

the vaccine itself is based on work being done for some time by Oxford's Jenner Institute on general coronaviruses, which is why they've been able to go to trails so quickly.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
International researchers at Oxford University working with Astra Zeneca.

AstraZeneca the multinational that has it's headquarters in London. In any case they're just the manufacturer. They'll probably pass the knowledge on to local manufactures all over the world.

I get that you're embarrassed by any kind of nationalism and feel you have to compensate, but you're really scraping the barrel here.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
AstraZeneca the multinational that has it's headquarters in London. In any case they're just the manufacturer. They'll probably pass the knowledge on to local manufactures all over the world.

I get that you're embarrassed by any kind of nationalism and feel you have to compensate, but you're really scraping the barrel here.

Now is not the time for nationalistic jingoistics. Cooperation is the key. The Tory’s decided to go it alone and clocked up the second highest death rate in Europe. Despite being an Island. Utter failure. Defending it is quite frankly, insulting the dead.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I suspect that now Johnson is back in the saddle the govt will throw everything into presenting a positive spin: they'll hit that 100K testing target (well done). the peak is passed, the USA's performance (where's there's worse to come) will make ours look not too bad, and the Big Plan for the return to normality will be on show next week. As is becoming customary, Johnson's timing is almost uncanny. Opportunist he may be (apologies: he is) but he has the knack of being in the right place when opportunities arise.

(When he went down with COVID, the deaths numbered in the hundreds; when he returned they were c25000. Just look what happens when he's not there to 'take control'. Bollocks of course but an impression is created.)

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Well done Jeff Stelling for saying it as it is. Nice to see honesty rather than continuous acceptance of failure by so many.

I wonder how much more damage the Tory party will cause to this poor country before the general public have enough and start to value truth again

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Now is not the time for nationalistic jingoistics. Cooperation is the key. The Tory’s decided to go it alone and clocked up the second highest death rate in Europe. Despite being an Island. Utter failure. Defending it is quite frankly, insulting the dead.

Good post.

I’m truly shocked at people rolling out the old ‘no one could have done better than Mr Johnson’ and ‘no Country in the world was prepared’. Utter drivel.

Take Nigel Farage for example, I despise this man more than Johnson but we’d be looking at a death rate in the hundreds if he’d been in control. Like him or loathe him, he was calling for a New Zealand/Australia closure of the borders whilst Mr Johnson was skipping Cobra meetings enjoying his election win honeymoon with his loony libertarian father remonstrating that no one is going to stop him going down the pub. Farage’s version of Brexit had border control at it’s heart, it’s laughable that the same Gammon who bought into his Brexit dream now defend a government that had control on our borders but failed to close them resulting in thousands and thousands of lives lost needlessly. Mr Johnson was meant to protect us, he utterly failed in his most important responsibility. He didn’t fight Covid-19 on the beaches, the airports or the ports, he let it march straight into our undefended carehomes and take the most vulnerable.

Sadly, I suspect your assertion that we have the 2nd highest death rate in Europe will be out of date this time next week.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I agree to a point, but if they're going to get a kicking for the things they get wrong then surely Hancock should be allowed to blow the national trumpet when a British institution does something important like a vaccine. As I said to TB you're compensating for jingoism too far in the opposite direction. Everyone is happy to talk up Germany for their good work with testing.

Regarding the death rate, see the number of Deaths thread on why you can't treat it like a league table.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Bobby Jenrick on this morning saying they are likely to hit or be very close to hitting the 100k tests yesterday. When the targe was announced a month ago, up from the originak target if 30k testing at this point I didn't give them a cat in heels chance of achieiving it, it didn't look achievable a week ago. So whilst I will criticise much of the governments response so far I will give them credit for this, and it demonstartes what can be done in a short amount of time, hopefully this gives some optimism that we can meet the chalenges of the weeks and months ahead track and trace, getting the right people tested, supporting the development of a vaccine.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
considering the 100k target was expected to include serology tests, which havent really come through, getting near there is a decent recovery.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Now is not the time for exploiting this crisis for political point-scoring or drawing premature conclusions based on inaccurate data. Christopher Whitty CB FRCP FFPH FMedSci, physician and epidemiologist, Chief Medical Officer for England, Chief Medical Adviser to the UK Government, Chief Scientific Adviser at the Department of Health and Social Care and Head of the National Institute for Health Research says the only way to compare death rates was by measuring “all-cause mortality adjusted for age” and that it was too early to do this. “Everyone agrees this is the key metric and the reason for that is every country measures its Covid cases in a slightly different way,”

He also recommends reading this ....

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...how-does-britain-compare-with-other-countries

... to better understand death rate comparisons.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's only a Survation poll... but it is interesting because it runs contrary to so much of the social and mainstream media coverage:

Survation Westminster Voting Intention: 27-28/04/2020

CON: 48% (+4)
LAB: 31% (-2)
LDEM: 8% (-3)
GRN: 5% (+2)
SNP: 4% (-1)
PC: 1% (-)

Changes w/ 2019 general election.

Jan 30, 2008
Good post.

I’m truly shocked at people rolling out the old ‘no one could have done better than Mr Johnson’ and ‘no Country in the world was prepared’. Utter drivel.

Take Nigel Farage for example, I despise this man more than Johnson but we’d be looking at a death rate in the hundreds if he’d been in control. Like him or loathe him, he was calling for a New Zealand/Australia closure of the borders whilst Mr Johnson was skipping Cobra meetings enjoying his election win honeymoon with his loony libertarian father remonstrating that no one is going to stop him going down the pub. Farage’s version of Brexit had border control at it’s heart, it’s laughable that the same Gammon who bought into his Brexit dream now defend a government that had control on our borders but failed to close them resulting in thousands and thousands of lives lost needlessly. Mr Johnson was meant to protect us, he utterly failed in his most important responsibility. He didn’t fight Covid-19 on the beaches, the airports or the ports, he let it march straight into our undefended carehomes and take the most vulnerable.

Sadly, I suspect your assertion that we have the 2nd highest death rate in Europe will be out of date this time next week.

https://timeline.com/tricoteuse-french-revolution-b9887af073f4
you wouldn't have gone amiss here you know :rolleyes:
regards
DF

Jimmy Grimble

It's only a Survation poll... but it is interesting because it runs contrary to so much of the social and mainstream media coverage:

*Apart from The Sun’s coverage, which has of course been very pro Boris! I still think that paper holds biggest sway over the British public.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

The Tories have (rightly) been handing out money. No wonder support is holding up. I'd imagine once the economic effects are felt that demands for answers about why the roof wasn't fixed whilst the sun was shining will get louder and louder. Be interesting to see the polling then.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Tories have (rightly) been handing out money. No wonder support is holding up. I'd imagine once the economic effects are felt that demands for answers about why the roof wasn't fixed whilst the sun was shining will get louder and louder. Be interesting to see the polling then.

When was the 'sun shining'? I though we had just been through 12 years of 'austerity'?

I guess it is all relative... they may indeed look like the sunny economic uplands. :nono:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
When was the 'sun shining'? I though we had just been through 12 years of 'austerity'?

I guess it is all relative... they may indeed look like the sunny economic uplands. :nono:

You raise an interesting point actually about how much the Conservative political choice of austerity, and the ensuing cuts, are to blame for the ill-preparedness for our response to the pandemic. I am sure that will much dissected in the coming months/years.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You raise an interesting point actually about how much the Conservative political choice of austerity, and the ensuing cuts, are to blame for the ill-preparedness for our response to the pandemic. I am sure that will much dissected in the coming months/years.

So... I am confused now, was the sun shining or not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports