How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy Grimble

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
So no evidence or data then, cheers.

The burden of proof is on you. You're the one who wants a lockdown, which is a disruption to the norm.

But do you really think that mass unemployment and businesses going bust won't cause a recession? Newsflash: we're already in one. Just takes two months. Three months and it's a depression. That'll be our treat for May.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
What would be good is if there was a study to see how many of these commuters were able to continue with their work while at home and how efficient they were/are.Obviously some need to be physically at their workplaces but this could see a revolution in how many people conduct their business.

Less people in the office means less office space is needed and money can be saved. I suspect a lot of companies will see how they have coped well over this period and think of the savings that can be made.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
There will be capacity controls. We are looking to introduce mandatory reservations.

Something like that will need to happen for the foreseeable future but who decides who gets on the train and who doesn't?

Jimmy Grimble

The burden of proof is on you. You're the one who wants a lockdown, which is a disruption to the norm.

But do you really think that mass unemployment and businesses going bust won't cause a recession? Newsflash: we're already in one. Just takes two months. Three months and it's a depression. That'll be our treat for May.

The burden of proof is not on me. Someone has made a statement about something. I asked for evidence to back it up. Therefore it is up to the person who has made the statement to back it up. Not sure how you can see that the other way.

And you’re putting words in people’s mouths, steady on.

I think measures should be gradually lifted at the end of this lockdown. For example, some shops and businesses to resume trading - I’ve spelled that out on here before.

What I don’t see as helpful is us being compared to Sweden. A very different country in different circumstances, culturally, socially, economically and politically.

It’s scaremongering and dangerous when the media report on the situation with too much negativity, but it is equally dangerous to suggest we should now be doing the same as Sweden without any solid evidence to show it is the right thing to do.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Johnson will have to punch well above his weight in order to get on top of the testing, PPE and Lockdown reductions.

Crikey, what weight is above a super-heavyweight? To look at him he's heavier than Tyson Fury, or David Haye when he looked like he was modelling for Michelin.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The burden of proof is not on me. Someone has made a statement about something. I asked for evidence to back it up. Therefore it is up to the person who has made the statement to back it up. Not sure how you can see that the other way.

And you’re putting words in people’s mouths, steady on.

I think measures should be gradually lifted at the end of this lockdown. For example, some shops and businesses to resume trading - I’ve spelled that out on here before.

What I don’t see as helpful is us being compared to Sweden. A very different country in different circumstances, culturally, socially, economically and politically.

It’s scaremongering and dangerous when the media report on the situation with too much negativity, but it is equally dangerous to suggest we should now be doing the same as Sweden without any solid evidence to show it is the right thing to do.

Well said. Country to country comparisons are near pointless - there are hundreds if not thousands of parameters where we would vary from Sweden.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
...........because there is no reliable antibody test developed/available yet. Simple.

As I understand it there is, just not one that can be mass produced, rather a relatively time consuming process in a lab.

I would have thought that there is now significantly more data available on the likely number of people who have already had this, a better understanding of the R0 number and the mortality rate (and hospitalisation rate).

On that basis a more robust model would be possible compared to the one from 6-weeks ago that initiated the UK lockdown.

I haven't seen any 'official' updates on what the latest Government understanding is; it would be good to know.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As I understand it there is, just not one that can be mass produced, rather a relatively time consuming process in a lab.

I would have thought that there is now significantly more data available on the likely number of people who have already had this, a better understanding of the R0 number and the mortality rate (and hospitalisation rate).

On that basis a more robust model would be possible compared to the one from 6-weeks ago that initiated the UK lockdown.

I haven't seen any 'official' updates on what the latest Government understanding is; it would be good to know.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/26/coronavirus-uk-government-assessing-antibody-test-kits

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...........because there is no reliable antibody test developed/available yet. Simple.

Pretty sure there is - plenty of countries have produced results on testing undertaken, such as the recent New York numbers >>> https://www.syracuse.com/coronaviru...ibly-infected-with-coronavirus-statewide.html

I think the key difference is testing that is undertaken by trained medical staff, likely with laboratory assessment of samples and simple kits that the public can buy and use at home. It's the latter where we still seem to be waiting for reliable tests to be developed/available.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Utter rubbish. AD made a statement that Sweden's economy will be in better shape but provided no evidence to back that up other than a link to a website where someone has written their opinion, again, not backed up by evidence. He also keeps banging on about the death rate in a recession but again hasn't backed it up. The guy is a nutter and posts rubbish all day long and it's getting boring.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Swedens economy will be in far better shape and therefore for more likely to avoid the probable huge amounts of deaths (far exceeding Covid) resultant in the inevitable economic collapse driven by prolonged lock down.
Any evidence or data to back this up?

Common sense. All their shops and enterprises are trading. If you want evidence on the drastic impact on mortality from long term recession and poverty I can find you plenty, as can you with a simple google search. Trust me the way we are heading it will make covid death look insignificant.

Sweden claims success:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...12T5Rt?ocid=sf

So no evidence or data then, cheers.

Incredibly irresponsible reporting which seems based on very little fact based evidence.

All in a day on NSC :lolol:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I still have absolutely no faith in the man. I firmly believe his time in hospital will be used against us in the long run. All this praise for the NHS and donating money now. When the time comes to fully privatise, Boris will hide behind "it wasn't me, I'm a huge advocate of the NHS" and his followers will say well I done my bit giving a tenner once.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They're the mass produced home testing kits. There are other methods available for testing the presence of antibodies, i.e. in a laboratory.

Hopefully a reliable home test is available soon for person by person testing, in the meantime the Government will have some data available on this on which to update models and base policy on.

Pretty sure there is - plenty of countries have produced results on testing undertaken, such as the recent New York numbers >>> https://www.syracuse.com/coronaviru...ibly-infected-with-coronavirus-statewide.html

I think the key difference is testing that is undertaken by trained medical staff, likely with laboratory assessment of samples and simple kits that the public can buy and use at home. It's the latter where we still seem to be waiting for reliable tests to be developed/available.

I know, and that looks more positive.........but we really need a reliable, easily used home kit that can be rolled out to the masses in the millions. The results from different countries vary widely though - have seen some reports indicating perhaps high 30s % showing signs, and others as low as 45 - could be that the data is accurate and there are enormous variations in infection rates, or that the tests aren't reliable......

Edit - just been covered in today's press conf.......only have lab-based tests at the moment

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I still have absolutely no faith in the man. I firmly believe his time in hospital will be used against us in the long run. All this praise for the NHS and donating money now. When the time comes to fully privatise, Boris will hide behind "it wasn't me, I'm a huge advocate of the NHS" and his followers will say well I done my bit giving a tenner once.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

After this if Boris and the Conservatives go anywhere near privatisation they will be toast, in fact when all this is done and dusted and the economy gets back on its feet they will have to really sort out the NHS in terms of pay, parking for free etc.
Of course I have always admired the NHS but I'm not sure that people loved it as much as they suddenly do now, people were just used to getting treatment free at the point of entry.
Coronavirus has been a total game changer to a point that it is now untouchable.
It will also become a massive tool for the opposition to use if they put one foot wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports