How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Suspect from that speech that we may hear more by the end of the week.

I wonder if they are looking initially for a few small tweaks that they believe won’t affect the R value barely at all, just to give a feeling of progress out of lockdown.

Exactly this I suspect - maybe things like OK to visit family at home, more use of open spaces allowed (not just 'exercise'.....but obviously maintaining distancing - of course, it'll now piss down with rain for days on end anyway), more shops open (with 2m queuing, limited numbers etc).

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Glimmer of hope for a few winding down announcements to come this week, but overall I think he might’ve bottled it.

This period to allow the NHS to prepare is feeling more like house arrest.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Garden Centres to reopen, perhaps?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Glimmer of hope for a few winding down announcements to come this week, but overall I think he might’ve bottled it.

It’s more about not overwhelming the NHS isn’t it? Seems eminently sensible to me

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Exactly this I suspect - maybe things like OK to visit family at home, more use of open spaces allowed (not just 'exercise'.....but obviously maintaining distancing - of course, it'll now piss down with rain for days on end anyway), more shops open (with 2m queuing, limited numbers etc).

Forecast tomorrow is looking more like ‘normal’ weather for April ...WET ...showery for a few days as well....had to come :(

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I genuinely feel for the people who have been hoodwinked and who continue to be hoodwinked by the government. Someone started a thread on a large Worthing FB group with a post along the lines of " Thank Goodness, Boris is back to lead us ! " a couple of others chipped in with incredibly sycophantic inanities such as " Hurrah for Boris " then suddenly the tone shifted and there were some negative comments.

Quick as a flash, the original poster posted along the lines of " I did not post this up in order for Boris to be criticised ….. as an admin I am turning commenting off on this thread now " which I think is pretty shameful if you are a Mod/admin of a site.

It's easy to forget how free speech can be edited or stamped out when it does not suit some people, on here we have a wide range of divergent views and I may not agree with people and they with me but at least [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and the Mods will allow a reasonable amount of leeway.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Bottled what? Opening up too early and causing a second wave whilst we are still unprepared in terms of tracking, tracing and testing?

We just don’t know. But if that’s the case, I’m delighted he’s bottled it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I’ve only heard it the once, but it sounded like he’s realised a lot of businesses are going to go without even more support.

Could be interesting.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bottled what? Opening up too early and causing a second wave whilst we are still unprepared in terms of tracking, tracing and testing?

I can't find the testing statistics but I'm pretty sure are NOT going to hit 100,000 daily tests by the end of April on the government schedule.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I genuinely feel for the people who have been hoodwinked and who continue to be hoodwinked by the government. Someone started a thread on a large Worthing FB group with a post along the lines of " Thank Goodness, Boris is back to lead us ! " a couple of others chipped in with incredibly sycophantic inanities such as " Hurrah for Boris " then suddenly the tone shifted and there were some negative comments.

Quick as a flash, the original poster posted along the lines of " I did not post this up in order for Boris to be criticised ….. as an admin I am turning commenting off on this thread now " which I think is pretty shameful if you are a Mod/admin of a site.

It's easy to forget how free speech can be edited or stamped out when it does not suit some people, on here we have a wide range of divergent views and I may not agree with people and they with me but at least [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and the Mods will allow a reasonable amount of leeway.

People from either side will use anything to reinforce their own (political) viewpoint (as you have) - but an admin turning off comments smacks of 'unless you agree with my views you can't comment' which is pretty cowardly.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Oh he certainly bottled it, no doubt you want to go back to normal so more people can needlessly die ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I can't find the testing statistics but I'm pretty sure are NOT going to hit 100,000 daily tests by the end of April on the government schedule.

Well interesting enough some junior health minister this morning was suggesting capacity for 100,000 daily tests as opposed to 100,000 tests actually happening daily..............

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well interesting enough some junior health minister this morning was suggesting capacity for 100,000 daily tests as opposed to 100,000 tests actually happening daily..............

That sounds like not only Johnson is back on the job, but Cummings too.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

Our peak infection day was one full week before lockdown. Sweden (85% of the people in 15% of the land mass) haven’t locked down and look at their figures. Evidence that social distancing is all that’s needed and that lockdown is a step too far.

But what lockdown does do is destroy jobs and the economy and increase depression and domestic violence. It doesn’t do much for our immune systems either.

Sweden could be herd immune in 3-4 weeks while we’re all hiding indoors worried about a second wave.

Meanwhile, thousands are flying into Britain each day and just heading off all over the place without checks or quarantine.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Oh he certainly bottled it, no doubt you want to go back to normal so more people can needlessly die ?

Hiding indoors isn’t a cure. There is no cure. It’s just a delay.

But if people under forty who aren’t obese or have any serious health conditions went back to “normal” albeit it with social distancing then we could start working on herd immunity and they could also volunteer to donate blood with antibodies, which seems to do the trick.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hiding indoors isn’t a cure. There is no cure. It’s just a delay.

But if people under forty who aren’t obese or have any serious health conditions went back to “normal” albeit it with social distancing then we could start working on herd immunity and they could also volunteer to donate blood with antibodies, which seems to do the trick.

Social distancing and lockdown prevent the spread of the disease thus ensuring the NHS can treat people and not become overwhelmed.

Would you prefer more people had the virus thus ensuring more die ?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Social distancing and lockdown prevent the spread of the disease thus ensuring the NHS can treat people and not become overwhelmed.

I think only social distancing is necessary.

If the healthy under-40s caught it, they’d almost certainly not die. Look at the figures.

And what would your suggestion be? How long do you think we should stay inside for?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Our peak infection day was one full week before lockdown. Sweden (85% of the people in 15% of the land mass) haven’t locked down and look at their figures. Evidence that social distancing is all that’s needed and that lockdown is a step too far.

But what lockdown does do is destroy jobs and the economy and increase depression and domestic violence. It doesn’t do much for our immune systems either.

Sweden could be herd immune in 3-4 weeks while we’re all hiding indoors worried about a second wave.

Meanwhile, thousands are flying into Britain each day and just heading off all over the place without checks or quarantine.

We simply don’t know all of this for certain.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think only social distancing is necessary.

If the healthy under-40s caught it, they’d almost certainly not die. Look at the figures.

And what would your suggestion be? How long do you think we should stay inside for?

What about the studies coming out of the US about alarming rates of 30-40 year olds having strokes because of COVID-19 ? I mean you don't die... sure, but I'm sure most 30/40 year olds would rather not risk a stroke

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Look at the data and the ages he’s suggesting - granted it’s not perfect but it’s what we are judging everything else by.

The risk is minimal for the brackets he’s suggesting.

People seems to be suggesting that untimely deaths didn’t happen before this.

We need to learn to live with it till there is a cure.

It seems to be a decent middle ground to test the water.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports