How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If it's insinuation or half-truth that you're after, yes. Dealing with facts - not so good.

I think the mid-March 'crisis, what crisis' stage (13 March - 23 March) actually demonstrated a glaring weakness of his in communicating unpopular messages clearly.

Unless he was trying to get people killed.

This one was particularly bad on Friday 20 March. His inability to be clear here cost lives. Note that the lockdown brief on Monday 23rd was pre-recorded, presumably so there was no chance of him softening/mixing the nessage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ALXzoTe-M0

Yes, he doesn't do serious and, yes, this was a bad example (and, note, he was reading from a script on this one). But it remains the case that, whatever you think of his personality or policies, the general public warm to him, and that he can "reach the parts" that pretty much no other English politician can. You're right on 'facts', and I doubt he'll be able to rise to the gravity of this particular challenge.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bit concerned about the BBC's famous " Left Wing Bias " here today, this could have been the headline and sub headline in several of the right wing rags, sadly though this is actually posted on the BBC " News" website, arslikin' or what ?

"Boris Johnson's return to work on Monday after more than three weeks out of action will be a "boost for the country", his deputy has said.
The PM has arrived in Downing Street to resume full-time duties after a fortnight recovering from coronavirus.
He will chair the morning meeting of the government's coronavirus "war cabinet" on Monday.
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who has been standing in for him during his absence, said he was "raring to go". "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52431913

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Bit concerned about the BBC's famous " Left Wing Bias " here today, this could have been the headline and sub headline in several of the right wing rags, sadly though this is actually posted on the BBC " News" website, arslikin' or what ?

"Boris Johnson's return to work on Monday after more than three weeks out of action will be a "boost for the country", his deputy has said.
The PM has arrived in Downing Street to resume full-time duties after a fortnight recovering from coronavirus.
He will chair the morning meeting of the government's coronavirus "war cabinet" on Monday.
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who has been standing in for him during his absence, said he was "raring to go". "

Are the Beeb not just reporting what his deputy said? :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are the Beeb not just reporting what his deputy said? :shrug:
Er, so, is that a " News" story? And where did we suddenly get a " War Cabinet" from when they are normally COBRA meetings... Or is this a measure of sucking up to PM who just before Christmas was looking to review how the BBC was funded?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
It’s a pretty lazy story.

I looked at the BBC website today and one headline was “I had to shave my beard to wear a face mask”.

I think they’re struggling to find any actual news.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Glad to see Boris will be back tomorrow. I think the government continue to have an unenviable job where whatever they choose will have some negative consequences. I hope they will get balance right, but I expect some decisions will not be perfect and will need to be adjusted as evidence increases.

One thing this crisis has made me realise is that a certain section of the population (not so much on here) are determined to detest the government whatever happens. I've now given up listening to the more extreme end of that spectrum - it's much more pleasant to no longer see the ongoing hate, though I do realise I'm creating a slight bubble now I've cut that part of the population off from my social media.

You're one of many who appear to think because we have a crisis that the government and Johnson himself are somehow beyond criticism or media scrutiny. I'm being told that I should be supporting the government 100% despite what's staring me in the face, it looks like we're going to top the European coronavirus table despite having weeks more to sort things and the ability to see what happened in other countries. They continue to bring their ultra libertarian approach and it continues to cost lives. They are doing a terrible job.

From a communication perspective, have a look at Mark Drakeford and Nicola Sturgeon - They have been open, honest, direct. So much more impressive than Johnson et al, they have not been afraid to share bad news neither have they been afraid to talk about their plans post lockdown. The government's silence on this is being roundly criticised on ALL sides, rightly so. You can choose to argue your point but if you try to ignore or shut down debate then I'm not sure what to say but it's doesn't give your point much credibility.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Ah, normal service resumed it seems. Looks like one of the Sunday staffers got a bit ahead of themselves and the story has been re-written to become more factual, the " War Cabinet " has disappeared to be replaced with the far less sensational but entirely accurate " Regular morning cabinet meeting on Covid-19 ".

It always helps to rally the Tory cause by trying to whip up a feeling of outside threat that can " Pull us Together " to defeat a common enemy and by extension reduce and marginalise scrutiny and criticism of the governments response as being " Undemocratic".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52436471

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
There's no doubt that Johnson is 'box office'. If he does the briefing today, doubtless he'll come up with some sort of new slogan which we can all chant with gusto. I think he's now in the managing expectations zone and he tends to over-reach and get carried away. Like many I'll be watching and personally bracing myself for more Boris Bollocks.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lectern outside No.10, I think he is about to give us a speech

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Awaits a flaming but he sounds like a leader to me :shrug:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Never quite got this. Whilst it seems very likely that a lot of those in charge of programme creation have centre/left of centre views, they always seem to me to be running scared of the Tories taking away their funding and seem to over compensate.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Awaits a flaming but he sounds like a leader to me :shrug:

Thought he was pretty good this morning too........infinitely better than the lackeys who have been standing in for him anyway (damning with faint praise perhaps :smile:). Probably needs to start communicating lockdown exit plans soon - suspect we'll see a drip-feeding of this into the press conferences over the coming days (FWIW I think the Govt have been right to not communicate detailed plans so far - as soon as they do people will take the piss as a handful are now so not worth the risk)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Suspect from that speech that we may hear more by the end of the week.

I wonder if they are looking initially for a few small tweaks that they believe won’t affect the R value barely at all, just to give a feeling of progress out of lockdown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports