Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I was ranting about it but they didn't listen. Plus ça change...

My warnings fell on deaf ears with some friends back home too but they eventually acknowledged that I do in fact live in the future.

At last, someone who can answer a couple of questions.
When will this shitstorm be under control and when will life return to what we used to know as normal normal?:wink:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
They dont deserve all the credit they're getting, all they've shown is the money has been there to pay for the things we've NEEDED all along. Our taxes will be horrendous after this as we all pay back what they've given out whilst the top still get away with it

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

This is one hellova crazy post.

We saved money by cutting spending.

Emergency happened, we had money to fix the roof.

You say, "See, we didn't need to cut spending and save money after all."

*slow clap*

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

*slow clap*

i think he's alluding to what was cut post 2008 to give the bankers all the nation's money

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

*slow clap*

We saved no money.

There is "no money to fix the roof" - we're borrowing it all, and will have to pay it back.

Plenty of information about this, here's one article https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14771

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We saved no money.

There is "no money to fix the roof" - we're borrowing it all, and will have to pay it back.

Plenty of information about this, here's one article https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14771

Yes, you are technically right.

We reduced borrowing, and as a result we can borrow now what we otherwise would have been unable to.

My point remains.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I know we are 300 posts in but has anyone defined what the measures of success of our response will be yet?

Deaths vs France & Germany? We had more time to prepare than both and are further away from the European epicentre so should do better (though convinced France's initial spread like Italy and Spain was exacerbated by their traditional greetings) so perhaps Germany is the best yardstick here.

6/12/18 months time % reduction in GDP vs France & Germany?

Got to be a combination of a health factor and and economic damage factor, weighted I would suggest toward the health aspect.

The measure of success for most utter twats in this thread, unfortunantely, will depend on which political party they normally vote for.

You would honestly have thought that with something of this unprecendented scale and magnitiude, the average joe would be able to set aside their obnoxious daily rambling bias and adapt and employ some kind of rational and grounded thinking of the situation.

But nope.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The measure of success for most utter twats in this thread, unfortunantely, will depend on which political party they normally vote for.

You would honestly have thought that with something of this unprecendented scale and magnitiude, the average joe would be able to set aside their obnoxious daily rambling bias and adapt and employ some kind of rational and grounded thinking of the situation.

But nope.

A post positively dripping with irony.

The question the OP asked was what do you THINK.

Plenty of people are not impressed with the ways things have been handled, but as the poll shows plenty are also more than happy.

If you can point to ONE post here, where someone has said, they are going to ignore government advice and do their own thing, we can all join in and start throwing around the insults. Until then try and understand the difference between thought and behaviour.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There is no money tree.....we will all have to pay the borrowing back ,over time.
Tried that last time and it didn't work.

Strongly suspect we'll have to invest this time. Especially since any other sensible country will be doing that.

Green infrastructure - 2 birds, 1 stone and another thing helpfully given to the Tories on a plate in the last Labour Party manifesto.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A post positively dripping with irony.

The question the OP asked was what do you THINK.

Plenty of people are not impressed with the ways things have been handled, but as the poll shows plenty are also more than happy.

Yup, he’s very wrong once again and has also not read the ‘Please be kind’ memo with his nasty little ‘twunt’ rant.

I’d never vote for UKIP, the Brexit Party or any other right wing party Farage manages to defecate out in the future but he’s got it right this time. His ‘little Englander’ and ‘Islander’ mentality was exactly what we needed many weeks ago but he was ignored by the government, however, they’ll be copying his tactics once again when we close our boarders to prevent a second wave in a few months time.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/t...atest-update-Good-Morning-Britain-GMB-ITV/amp

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
At last, someone who can answer a couple of questions.
When will this shitstorm be under control and when will life return to what we used to know as normal normal?:wink:

Italy are expecting to peak within the next week or two. So we can assume Spain will be 2/3 weeks, UK 3/4 weeks. The slow return to normality will commence after that. I'm not expecting to be going back to work till late May (online till then).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Strongly suspect we'll have to invest this time. Especially since any other sensible country will be doing that.

Green infrastructure - 2 birds, 1 stone and another thing helpfully given to the Tories on a plate in the last Labour Party manifesto.

That's what should happen, but somehow there will have to be a political consensus that emerges around it. How that happens is something I've been grappling (and failing) with for far too long

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There are some really clever buggers on this thread.
What I don't understand is, why didn't they warn the Government and their boffins that they were doing it all wrong????

I thought it was bad in January when it showed no sign of slowing down the infection rate, I was told in no uncertain terms by one poster that ladders and Bee stings would cause more fatalities this year than Covid-19, someone else said they had caught a particularly bad 'flu bug years back and survived so this shouldn't be so bad. We SHOULD have had a good look at what was happening in China and tried to ramp up PPE and ventilator numbers if at all possible, however, the government did not want to spend early, they had to wait for the big Budget announcement.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I thought it was bad in January when it showed no sign of slowing down the infection rate, I was told in no uncertain terms by one poster that ladders and Bee stings would cause more fatalities this year than Covid-19, someone else said they had caught a particularly bad 'flu bug years back and survived so this shouldn't be so bad. We SHOULD have had a good look at what was happening in China and tried to ramp up PPE and ventilator numbers if at all possible, however, the government did not want to spend early, they had to wait for the big Budget announcement.

You could see it. I could see it. Yet it blindsided the government, which they now blame on China. And somehow people still buy into it.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Could be worse we could have this lunatic managing the situation

ddb1da130aadbcdb6b2012ea8522a200.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

trouble is green doesnt provide finacial return, though there can be savings, improvements areas of moderen world. no alternative to either taxes or borrowing to pay for investment.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

May as well stop the thread right there, far too little far too late.
The lack of PPE is unforgivable.
My parents are very elderly and get 4 visits a day from social services which is great, but, as of yet they have no PPE.
My sister is a nurse at Eastbourne General and it is starting to come through.
Very sadly, too late for the NHS worker that died today.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My parents are very elderly and get 4 visits a day from social services which is great, but, as of yet they have no PPE.

This is the tragedy, no one is immune, this can take anyone.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Daughter told me this morning that they are supposed to change masks after seeing every CV +ve patient, but they don’t have enough so only get a new one every hour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here