Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How do you get on with your immediate neighbours?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Live in flats and very fortunate to be on good terms with all the neighbours. Probably because the more I don't like someone the more polite I am to them. I think that's an English thing.

Sensible man :thumbsup:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Our neighbours on one side have three cars as do we but fortunately we have a drive so luckily don’t need to fight for car parking space. Although there is plenty of on street parking available. I am now waiting for [MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION] to pop along and judge and abuse me for having a garden AND a drive! :wink:

I'll see your drive & garden with a double garage :lol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sensible man :thumbsup:

My approach goes back to when I was younger and lived in outback Australia. I asked a boss why he was so rude to me and not to migrants from other countries. He said it was because he liked the English.

Probably why he was so popular with everyone.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of that I've used it as a blueprint (although I have no hostility to migrants !)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Live in flats and very fortunate to be on good terms with all the neighbours. Probably because the more I don't like someone the more polite I am to them. I think that's an English thing.
Quite a few people on NSC are rude to me, but you have always stood out as extremely polite.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Get on very well with one side, looks after the cat when we are on holiday, etc. On the other side there is an older man which don’t see very often at all. I think a member of the family left their dog with him and they let in the garden very late at night and it starts barking. To be honest that does not bother me much. Living in a detached house helps as I think it would be me that would be a pain in the arse as I like to play music loud.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Quite a few people on NSC are rude to me, but you have always stood out as extremely polite.

:lolol:

Yes, I realise my strategy could be open to miss-interpretation.

I'm very rarely rude to anyone. Forthright, sometimes, but even then I'm not comfortable being annoyed for long. I can be very sarcastic though.

Not sure you've ever done anything to upset me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would bloody love it if it turned out that two NSCers who were neighbours who didn’t get on appeared on this thread :lolol:

That would be ****ing funny. However, the neighbours I'm talking about are such massive snobs that they hate football, which is just another sign that they're not normal human beings :lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:lolol:

Yes, I realise my strategy could be open to miss-interpretation.

I'm very rarely rude to anyone. Forthright, sometimes, but even then I'm not comfortable being annoyed for long. I can be very sarcastic though.

Not sure you've ever done anything to upset me.
You might be on a short list if I haven't :)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
ooh . . . our original neighbors (2003) where Kylie/ beatles standard on both sides . . . quality . . . .ages 2-90

Our Current ones are Coldplay/U2 standard. on one side and genesis on the other.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One side - elderly couple, old proper East End Girl (sent to Sussex in the war and never left) and a Sussex country boy, both absolutely salt of the earth characters and would do absolutely anything for you. Get on very, very well with them, he in particular has done loads for us over 20+ years (including building our extension), now we’re doing a bit more for them. He keeps loads of birds at his yard, I get a constant supply of goose eggs. He’s got contacts for literally everything.........they’ve had some truly shocking times, losing one daughter to a car crash and then a son to cancer a few years ago (really lovely fella who lived with them). Their other daughter is very well known locally.

Other side, not so close but they’re also fine. She teaches at Hurst College, also lost a son (plane crash) a couple of years ago.

More widely, our close is pretty tight, only 36 or so houses and they very rarely go on the market so everyone has been here ages - we still feel like the ‘new’ couple even though Mrs D was pregnant when we moved in (junior is 22 now). Thought about moving a few times but really wouldn’t want to...........not going to happen.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I threw the son of the old witch next door down their stairs once when he rode his motorbike across our path nearly hitting my young son..... we haven’t spoke in the 17 years since.
The other side are a lovely young couple.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
On one side mine are wankers. Controlling and slightly mental.

I posted their latest escapade on the "bellcheeses in the supermarket thread" where basically they reserved an open, on the street parking space for themselves with their recycle bins when she went off to the shops, only for the recycling van to turn up to collect. Having been told it couldn't be emptied from the road by the bin man, hubby ignored social distancing and confronted him. They've also complained our kids spend "too much time in the garden" even though they have two kids who are out in theirs all day.

To cover up there's a constant pretending to be something else and passive/aggressive Facebook posts. I started off nicknaming the Mrs "Hyacinth" but have now moved on to "Big Ben" as she's got more faces.

Ones on the other side and opposite us are diamonds though and we get on fantastically. I think that winds them up even more.

I apologise in advance but I do find it strange all this interaction on Facebook with neighbours ffs.

Weird imho, talk about everybody knowing everybody’s business, I imagine you would like to organise a street party after all these current challenges are over, I think your the sort who would, you’ll have to invite them [emoji23][emoji23]

Edit all my neighbours are fine, we are all respectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I threw the son of the old witch next door down their stairs once when he rode his motorbike across our path nearly hitting my young son..... we haven’t spoke in the 17 years since.
The other side are a lovely young couple.

You are Timmy & I claim my £5...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Just moved thank goodness as I was quite prepared to do time for one of my old neighbours. Had numerous disputes with him in 17 years of living there and it all boils down to the fact my ex wife called the police when he went into one of his daily drunken rages and beat his wife up. All 3 of his kids moved out as soon as they could and I really feel for his wife who is left with him but shes too stupid to leave him.

He really is a grade a nob and makes my piss boil but thankfully I no longer have to deal with him.

My new neighbours are great and i cant wait for this nightmare to be over so we can invite them for a BBQ and a drink so we can get to know them properly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here