Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How do you feel about the Potter revolution thus far?

How do you rate the Potter revolution thus far?

• Very happy

Votes: 123 22.9%
  • Happy

Votes: 264 49.3%
  • So-so

Votes: 127 23.7%
  • Unhappy

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • Very unhappy

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yet the stats suggest our defence has been better this season than last in terms of goal scoring opportunities for our opponents.

It's obvious to anyone with eyes that we look a much better side this season. I'm confident the goals and points will come.

I would change confident to hopeful.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As an aside, I was watching MOTD last night and noticed two scoring opportunities. The NUFC forward (£21,000,000) can't remember his name, was on the edge of the box, looked at Ryan twice when sizing up his shot, then blasted it straight at him.
James Maddison (I think. Cost £3.50 ) had the ball in another match, ran towards the goal looking at the ball, never looked up at the goal once, and blasted it into the bottom left hand corner to much praise from Lineker et al in the studio. If you don't shoot, you don't score. Just have a go ffs.

Not sure that's the best example given this stat from yesterday:

Leicester's James Maddison ended a run of 31 shots in the Premier League without a goal, since netting versus Huddersfield in April.​

He's clearly not shy in "just having a go FFS", but less good in actually scoring. He'd fit in well with us...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not sure that's the best example given this stat from yesterday:

Leicester's James Maddison ended a run of 31 shots in the Premier League without a goal, since netting versus Huddersfield in April.​

He's clearly not shy in "just having a go FFS", but less good in actually scoring. He'd fit in well with us...

Also, Maddison cost about 20 mill. A similar fee to Almirón.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
We're not free-scoring but we're only BHA so we're not likely to be.
Gross, Propper, March, Comical Ali won't have many goals between them in a season.
Izzy iznt the answer as he hasn't been even when uninjured.
Maupay, Alzate, Connelly, are untested, hopefully the future source of goals for the team.
Bissouma, I can't work out yet. I don't know whether he'll be a a huge disappointment or our very own Vieira.
Murray I don't think will feature as much so his goal scoring duties will have to be taken up by others.

I think we need more goals but GP(2) obviously sees the team in training and is reasonably happy. Our midfielders are now able to provide the opportunities for players to shoot, we just need or guys to pull the trigger and have a go.
As an aside, I was watching MOTD last night and noticed two scoring opportunities. The NUFC forward (£21,000,000) can't remember his name, was on the edge of the box, looked at Ryan twice when sizing up his shot, then blasted it straight at him.
James Maddison (I think. Cost £3.50 ) had the ball in another match, ran towards the goal looking at the ball, never looked up at the goal once, and blasted it into the bottom left hand corner to much praise from Lineker et al in the studio. If you don't shoot, you don't score. Just have a go ffs.

Forgot Trossard. Looks good. Some goals.

Defence - we were strong last season. this season we are a bit more open, marginally weaker

Possession - a significant and noticeable improvement on last season.

Attacking midfield threat - very weak last season, very weak this season. Trossard an upgrade though.

Forward line - maupay an upgrade, but a lack of goals remains the key weakness.

I’m surprised many on here are creaming themselves over potterball. Perhaps it’s because the hughton final days were such a terrible watch. Whatever the case, despite oodles of possession we aren’t any more effective at getting points than before. If anything the midfield looks even more goal shy.
A lot rests on trossard and maupay. Boussama stepping up would be a welcome bonus too.
Potter was always a left field option. It’s a long way off being the right appointment.

Izzy perhaps could fit in very well, remember the goal at Stoke ? That certainly is what we are doing now

Also both him and Groß have goals in them when we attack, just not last season when they were both injured.

Our defence at times last season was comical ... don’t let the fact we often had 11 behind the ball convince you we were good defensively.

The season before.... without a doubt yes

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
As [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION]'s tracker indicates though, we would have hoped to have picked up more points given the (lack of) merit of most of the sides we've faced in our opening six fixtures.

I think I'm probably sounding negative, but I'm not. I'm delighted with the manner of our play, my concern is currently very much on our ability to do the business in the final third. There is very little evidence, thus far, that we can score the volume of goals I think we'll need.

Newcastle defended very well indeed yesterday, in the two banks of players we got used to seeing under Hughton. Difficult to break that down but I'm sure Potter will consider how for future games

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The margins are so fine in this league - if we'd held on again Burnley last week, and if Schar had got there a couple of seconds later yesterday, we'd be fifth in the table.

I know it's all "if my granny had balls she'd be my grandad", but I really think the results will come, we just need to work on clinical finishing - in all other aspects we look a better side than last season.

I think it'll help when Trossard and Izquierdo are back to add to GPs options, and I think Bissouma will prove useful too.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The margins are so fine in this league - if we'd held on again Burnley last week, and if Schar had got there a couple of seconds later yesterday, we'd be fifth in the table.

I know it's all "if my granny had balls she'd be my grandad", but I really think the results will come, we just need to work on clinical finishing - in all other aspects we look a better side than last season.

I think it'll help when Trossard and Izquierdo are back to add to GPs options, and I think Bissouma will prove useful too.

I feel I’m getting paranoid by do we always seem to have our key creative players injured a lot? I mean, a lot? Knocky, Isq, Trossard...KLL before then, Buckley before that...blimey, Steve Penny even. We really don’t seem to ever have a steady 30 games a season from our attack players. They’re always bloody injured.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yet the stats suggest our defence has been better this season than last in terms of goal scoring opportunities for our opponents.

It's obvious to anyone with eyes that we look a much better side this season. I'm confident the goals and points will come.

Depends how you define better. We are now a better watch, sure. But we haven’t cracked being better at collecting points in games we have a good chance of winning.
I look at propper / stephens when they have a shooting opportunity and gross heading sideways yesterday and it doesn’t make me confident. I don’t think THEY are confident of scoring. That’s a big problem.

Those who say “it will come”. Hmm, I hope so. But this is a highly competitive division. Sheff Utd won yesterday, norwich beat city. Only Watford look deeply sh*t. Wolves will be ok. At least Two fairly decent teams will be relegated. At this level We are fairly decent at the moment, no more.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I guess it's nice to appear supportive but the 'it will come, we are so much better" party line is at odds with what whats been happening on the pitch.
Nothing wrong with losing to Chelsea but we failed to win a number of winnable games in Aug/Sep. Alarm bells.
We are much much further away from being a half decent team than most people on here seem to think.
We dont look like we have any idea how to score goals. We have got better at things that dont matter.
The panic button will be pressed before the end of January.
In time, the idea of a manager with no prem experience turning a negative team into flamboyant winners (with not that much money, youngsters and shipping out some decent players) in a few short weeks, will be seen as the naive **** up that it is.
The reality is We're toying with our top level status by asking far too much too soon. Let's hope it doesnt cost us. It depends on how long it is before this experiment is aborted

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Still a fan :thumbsup:

If Burns header goes in, it’s a different game as Chelsea were looking shakey. Alzate deflection the wrong side of the post and then Chelsea get a deflection that goes inside the post. We just need to get some luck in front of goal and things will improve.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Defending really well, that individual lapse today aside, further up the pitch that was probably put first poor performance of the season, but it was Chelsea.

Things take time, patience is needed. Never going to suddenly storm the premier league with a new manager, surely no-one that naive

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Work in progress, need our injured/sick players healthy again.

D

Deleted member 2719

Just posted this on the match thread.

Hey, let's not beat ourselves up, it really is early and every game so far we have surpassed the same fixture of last season.

Here are the stats, a goal better off this year, more shots than last year, more possession and more touches and passes.

We are progressing. :banana::banana:

Attachments

• Chelsea v Bha 2019.PNG
    Chelsea v Bha 2019.PNG
    23.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Chelse v BHA last yr.PNG
    Chelse v BHA last yr.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 77

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
As I posted on another thread earlier, Sheffield Utd from last season’s Championship took the game strongly to last season’s Champions League winners today, absolutely got stuck in, refused to be awed or physically dominated, fought for every ball and only a goalkeeping howler lost them the match. We looked pathetic today by comparison and are so lacking in physicality.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just posted this on the match thread.

Hey, let's not beat ourselves up, it really is early and every game so far we have surpassed the same fixture of last season.

Here are the stats, a goal better off this year, more shots than last year, more possession and more touches and passes.

We are progressing. :

We won at St James Park last year so 2 points down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here