Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How do I/we justify the price paid for Moises?

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
I’M SORRY! Yes, I KNOW(!!) Another Moises thread…BUT the rest of the threads are out of control, I can’t keep up with them despite my best efforts and several late nights reading like many of us I’m sure, and I need help haha (I bet I’m not alone and so hope this isn’t an entirely selfish thread.)

I am getting BOMBARDED by jealous/angry texts from (non BHA) ‘friends’ and I’m doing my best but would appreciate ‘succinct’ help from the intelligent/articulate among you (I don’t count myself as any of the above) in rationalising it?!

Also looks like it might be set to go even higher if Chelsea bid again?!

• He’s (in our opinion) the best DMF in the league, and they’re rare/expensive/in demand right now.
•• We watch his every minute (not just 5mins on MOTD) and so KNOW his talent.

• The amount is subjective/market lead…
•• Rice/Enzo/Jude
(I think he’s better but tbh wouldn’t presume to be able to speak to another teams players ability with any real expert knowledge if I didn’t watch them week in week out.)

• Better(or at least on the same level) as the others mentioned and YOUNGER, still improving and so as much about his potential as it is his current ability.

• We didn’t want/need to sell (like other clubs re other players) and so the price was set by the NEED of the potential buyers at this moment in time, and not necessarily what we ‘truly’ think he’s worth. (I think had he stayed longer we’d of sold for less, having realised more value, like Trossard/Mac Allister/Burn etc)

•• He was never for sale and so the offers were always going to have to be high!

• On an existing long contract (also in comparison to above mentioned players?)

Anything else? THANK YOU!

EDIT: Perhaps I should add that I don’t feel I ‘have’ to justify it, maybe I ‘want’ to…and in hindsight I would like rather to ‘educate/enlighten’ my ignorant friends to the pertinent facts that are clearly beyond them rather than ‘justify’ it! 👍🏻

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I don’t see why you have to justify anything. The simple fact is that Moises was never officially for sale and Brighton set a very high price to deter offers, and to reflect the price paid for Enzo and Rice, neither of whom are as good as Caicedo. If someone’s crazy enough to pay £115m or even £100m, why on Earth would we be stupid enough to turn it down? We can make great investments in our squad and facilities with that money. Moises is a really good player but he's not £115m-good.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
I don’t see why you have to justify anything. The simple fact is that Moises was never officially for sale and Brighton set a very high price to deter offers, and to reflect the price paid for Enzo and Rice, neither of whom are as good as Caicedo. If someone’s crazy enough to pay £115m or even £100m, why on Earth would we be stupid enough to turn it down? We can make great investments in our squad and facilities with that money. Moises is a really good player but he's not £115m-good.
He's not worth £115m probably more £130m currently.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not at the moment but some of the high price will be based on his potential.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He signed a long contract in March and the club have no need to sell, therefore any fee will need to be impossible to reject. With more than one club bidding the price organically has risen. He’s also exceptionally talented and only 21.

That’s the difficult to argue with version.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
i know this isn't what you are really asking but............we justify it to chelsea because that is what liverpool wanted to pay.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I’M SORRY! Yes, I KNOW(!!) another Moises thread…BUT the rest of the threads are out of control, I can’t keep up with them despite my best efforts and several late nights reading like many of us I’m sure, and I need help haha (I bet I’m not alone and so hope this isn’t an entirely selfish thread.)

I am getting BOMBARDED by jealous/angry texts from (non BHA) ‘friends’ and I’m doing my best but would appreciate ‘succinct’ help from the intelligent/articulate among you (I don’t count myself as any of the above) in rationalising it?!

Also looks like it might be set to go even higher if Chelsea bid again?!

• He’s (in our opinion) the best DMF in the league, and they’re rare/expensive/in demand right now.
•• We watch his every minute (not just 5mins on MOTD) and so KNOW his talent.

• The amount is subjective/market lead…
•• Rice/Enzo/Jude
(I think he’s better but tbo wouldn’t presume to be able to speak to another teams players ability with any real expert knowledge if I didn’t watch them week in week out.)

• Better(or at least on the same level) as the others mentioned and YOUNGER, still improving and so as much about his potential as it is his current ability.

• We didn’t want/need to sell (like other clubs re other players) and so the price was set by the NEED of the potential buyers at this moment in time, and not necessarily what we ‘truly’ think he’s worth. (I think had he stayed longer we’d of sold for less, having realised more value, like Trossard/Mac Allister/Burn etc)

•• He was never for sale and so the offers were always going to have to be high!

• On an existing long contract (also in comparison to above mentioned players?)

Anything else? THANK YOU!

Yes, no, maybe
I don't know
Can you repeat the question?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Has the highest potential ceiling of any player in a similar position in the PL right now IMHO

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Freakish and Fernandez went for £100 mil each and he's better than those two combined?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He's worth more to Liverpool, as he already had a good understanding of Mac Allister's game.

In fact, Ali may have told them he can't play without him, that he was the dynamo of the partnership, etc.

Who really knows, but I do know that Liverpool now have a very strong change of challenging again this season with the best midfield in the Premier League.

gmabel830

Aug 12, 2017
Have a Liverpool fan on another board who said they thought it reeks of a desperation move. I disagreed with him, as it's not hard to see that the money is a sign of the times on major football. Caciedo will have massively unrealistic expectations heaped on him now, so I can see him being really good and Liverpool fans still being disappointed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here