Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How different is your NSC persona from you in real life?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Not really much different to be honest, sometimes I like to be a little bit more outspoken than usual on here, and sometimes (to my regret) I post when I'm in a bad mood and it's a bit ranty, but other than that, I like to think I'm a fairly well balanced member of this forum

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Care to divulge who/what these are?
The format of an online chatroom does lend itself to a more unpleasant approach, especially when you're speaking directly to your interlocutor and, even more so, you're doing so in the presence of others.

This. We need to know!

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I started typing a reply listing generic thread types and stopped for two reasons. Firstly, I had got to six types of thread and had another two types in mind. This made me think that there isn't a specific genre of thread. Instead, it's all threads that create a strong dynamic tension between members. Secondly, if I listed specific threads, this could be interpreted as a dig at the posters on those threads, which would probably derail this thread.

Binfests then, effectively?!?!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good thread.

In general I'm shyly British irl. I find it hard to start conversations and dread stilted ones. No such problem on NSC, it's either pile in or don't which is why I rather like it but it can be dangerous.

I think it's easier to go to extremes when debating purely in the written word. You can't see for sure you're about to get lamped for one, plus it is easy to misconstrue tone, sarcasm or to fill in gaps with your own assumptions. There are times when I've pushed it with certain posters to get a reaction which I know I wouldn't stood in front of them. However, if I was stood in front of them it's likely I'd have just bought them a pint. No point bearing grudges.

Other than that I'm me. A wavering lefty who yearns to be a libertarian but doesn't have the lack of conscience. A fondness for beer, football, music, writing and politics and the ability to start an argument in an empty room about any of them.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Binfests then, effectively?!?!

For sure Binfests on any topic are sometimes such threads. But there are others too, where a poster posts, say, a rant which is out of keeping with their normal style and the thread continues without turning into a binfest.

Perhaps, where a poster makes a single post or two that seems out of character, it can be explained by a bad day at work, lack of sleep, or just general passing grumpiness?

More interesting - at least to me - is the question of whether some people portray themselves on here consistently in a different way to how they do irl.

We've already had responses saying that a poster prefers verbal communication and another saying they prefer to write - both preferences leads to some level of difference between their online persona and their real life one...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So, G1976, I guess you don't answer your phone in real life as you [HINT] don't answer your PMs on NSC? :tantrum:

I think I'm probably much the same in real life. Unfortunately.

I answer all my PMs, thank you. Except yours. Obviously. I'll rectify that immediately! :blush:

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
I am severely restricted, in terms of showing my real persona on NSC, by the fact that I would seem to be the only Polish poster here; it means that I have to be aware of the fact that people might judge my country and my people by the way I behave and interact with other users of the forum. I must admit that I do not nurture feelings of particularly amical nature towards certain posters here or their views and opinions, but my role of Polish Ambassador to NSC forces me to restrain myself in expressing my disapproval towards them.

I really wish more Polish people joined NSC and took over the role of representing Poland here, so I could finally start calling people c*nts and telling them to f*ck off and die of cancer (preferably testicular).

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
For sure Binfests on any topic are sometimes such threads. But there are others too, where a poster posts, say, a rant which is out of keeping with their normal style and the thread continues without turning into a binfest.

Perhaps, where a poster makes a single post or two that seems out of character, it can be explained by a bad day at work, lack of sleep, or just general passing grumpiness?

More interesting - at least to me - is the question of whether some people portray themselves on here consistently in a different way to how they do irl.

We've already had responses saying that a poster prefers verbal communication and another saying they prefer to write - both preferences leads to some level of difference between their online persona and their real life one...

So your into the psychology if what makes someone post on here, and the variables that affect what they put? I studied social psychology at university, I think that that premise would make an absolutely phenomenal final dissertation starting point. Shame I'm 10 years too late!!!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good thread.

In general I'm shyly British irl. I find it hard to start conversations and dread stilted ones. No such problem on NSC, it's either pile in or don't which is why I rather like it but it can be dangerous.

I think it's easier to go to extremes when debating purely in the written word. You can't see for sure you're about to get lamped for one, plus it is easy to misconstrue tone, sarcasm or to fill in gaps with your own assumptions. There are times when I've pushed it with certain posters to get a reaction which I know I wouldn't stood in front of them. However, if I was stood in front of them it's likely I'd have just bought them a pint. No point bearing grudges.

Other than that I'm me. A wavering lefty who yearns to be a libertarian but doesn't have the lack of conscience. A fondness for beer, football, music, writing and politics and the ability to start an argument in an empty room about any of them.

You seem to be me.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I am severely restricted, in terms of showing my real persona on NSC, by the fact that I would seem to be the only Polish poster here; it means that I have to be aware of the fact that people might judge my country and my people by the way I behave and interact with other users of the forum.

Wow. That's an extremely interesting insight - thanks. It had never occurred to me that people may consistently temper their postings because they feel that they are in some way representing a whole group and need to portray a positive light on that group - or at least not portray a negative one.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure I give the best impression of myself when armed with a keyboard - I think I come across as a bit snappier on here than I'd like to think is the case when communicating face to face.

I think I probably come across as quite disorganised which I'd say is not a reflection of the 'real me', but I know some who would immediately post a long list of examples where I have been disorganised. So, to preempt that, I guess I'd say I'm not disorganised when it really matters.

I am generally quite shy and genuinely hate being the centre of attention in any way. However when you 'run' (I use the word loosely - see above) NSC it's difficult not to be on occasion, which probably paints me as a bolder character than I actually am.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wow. That's an extremely interesting insight - thanks. It had never occurred to me that people may consistently temper their postings because they feel that they are in some way representing a whole group and need to portray a positive light on that group - or at least not portray a negative one.

I very often 'bite my lip' replying on here, because of my position as a moderator of the forum. I'd like to think that it doesn't prevent me from still putting my view across, but it certainly tempers the way I put it sometimes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am severely restricted, in terms of showing my real persona on NSC, by the fact that I would seem to be the only Polish poster here; it means that I have to be aware of the fact that people might judge my country and my people by the way I behave and interact with other users of the forum. I must admit that I do not nurture feelings of particularly amical nature towards certain posters here or their views and opinions, but my role of Polish Ambassador to NSC forces me to restrain myself in expressing my disapproval towards them.

I really wish more Polish people joined NSC and took over the role of representing Poland here, so I could finally start calling people c*nts and telling them to f*ck off and die of cancer (preferably testicular).

If you are Polish and English is your second language I am mightily impressed :bowdown:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In the real world I wouldn't say boo to a goose, can't stand politics, and if someone slags off the Albion then just shrug and ignore them.

I'm far too patronising and knowall on NSC too.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I answer all my PMs, thank you. Except yours. Obviously. I'll rectify that immediately! :blush:

In NSC, as in real life, I take snubs with a minimum of fuss, but with a lingering sense of self-blame and resignation. However, I now have your PM so I can hold my head high and regain my self-respect. I'm possibly overstating this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here