Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How did West Ham beat us?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree with you to some extent. But what worries me is that we saw teams do this at the end of last season very successfully, and now again this season. We need to find an answer to teams that block deep and play purely on the break. But we all know this. I have faith the RdZ is not just sitting back with his one lauded plan and hoping it will work in the future. I can't wait to see what he feels is the answer in these circs.
I just think Moyes weighed up the possibilities before the match

1 - Go toe to toe with Brighton = Chances of winning = 2%
2 - Low block and pray for everything to go West Ham's way = Chances of winning = 10%

Moyes being Moyes, he would have never seriously countenanced possibility 2.

But playing like that every week has major downsides. You're basically having to say to your players, you're not good enough to beat your opponents by playing football. It can't do wonders for confidence and morale and in the end player retention. In addition, when you do find you're on a bad run, you're near the bottom of the league and you're losing games without laying a glove on the opponents, your fans will turn very quickly. This is evidenced in that Moyes has basically been on the edge of the sack at most times during his tenure. How many here can confidently say he'll last the season?

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
According to what I've seen/heard since Saturday night, it was down to:

Rubbish defence (Webster specifically)
Efficient counter-attacks
Lack of Caicedo
New goalkeeper
Welbeck being on the pitch
No Enciso
James Milner
Antonio being a beast
No pre-match fireworks
Veltman NOT being on the pitch
Uneven pie/sausage roll distribution around the ground
Lack of RB backup
West Ham's 'Champions of Europe' chant
RDZ tactics cock-up
Halftime guest Brighton Bard

:shrug:

"Antonio being a beast"

Some sort of Lukaku when in his best form.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shit happens, the negativity around this result is unbelievable. We all know that De Zerbi ball will throw up results like this, don’t we?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Lack of Caicedo

New goalkeeper
No Enciso
James Milner
Antonio being a beast
No pre-match fireworks
Lack of RB backup
RDZ tactics cock-up

Only those bolded were at fault.

And do we REALLY need another poet? :wozza:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
OK I’ll bite, who the f*** is Lord Copper? :wink:

I am assuming that this is a put down :lolol:
Not a put down though a bit arcane perhaps, sorry. Evelyn Waugh's Scoop has a wealthy newspaper owner, Lord Copper, whom his employees are too scared to challenge. When they want to disagree with him they have to say "Up to a point, Lord Copper." So when someone expresses themselves very confidently and forthrightly, you might sometimes hear someone say "Up to a point, Lord Copper." Maybe it’s a bit 'oldie English Literature bore' thing so you can feel relieved that you didn’t understand.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Lack of Caicedo
New goalkeeper
No Enciso
James Milner
Antonio being a beast
No pre-match fireworks
Lack of RB backup
RDZ tactics cock-up

No Thai noodles

Yoda

English & European
The thing is, West Ham have played the defensive block before against us (even under Potter) so it's not a new thing. Just in the past, it hasn't worked for them seeing as this is the first time they've beaten us in 13 games if you include the run under Hughton. The biggest difference this time is that it was a lot deeper giving them the space to hit the hopeful counter attacking ball into space and made better advantage of it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a put down though a bit arcane perhaps, sorry. Evelyn Waugh's Scoop has a wealthy newspaper owner, Lord Copper, whom his employees are too scared to challenge. When they want to disagree with him they have to say "Up to a point, Lord Copper." So when someone expresses themselves very confidently and forthrightly, you might sometimes hear someone say "Up to a point, Lord Copper." Maybe it’s a bit 'oldie English Literature bore' thing so you can feel relieved that you didn’t understand.
I like it :lolol:

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
There was of course a massive dollop of luck involved as well.

One of our centre backs had by far the worst game he's ever played for the club
Their keeper played the best game he has played for their (and probably any) club

But more than that, if you cough up 80% possession and 35 crosses and 25 shots, you pretty much need everything that can go right to go right if you want to claim the points.

In my opinion, If you played that same game through 10 times, we win 8 of them, they nick a draw in one and win the other. But over a long season those sort of games will happen.

I'm very confident that our approach will win us more games than it loses and their approach loses more games than it wins over 38 games.
Exactly. Moyes pretty much said this himself after the game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here