Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How Can Ireland Still Qualify For Euro 2024 ? Well, Start By Losing The Next Match

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They'd lose that game anyway, so it's no big deal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
How very odd. I’m read that twice and I still don’t understand it fully. How odd though that Nations League performance should have any influence over this, an entirely different tournament.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How very odd. I’m read that twice and I still don’t understand it fully. How odd though that Nations League performance should have any influence over this, an entirely different tournament.
Basically Netherlands rank above Ireland when it comes to teams who can potentially join the play-offs by virtue of Nations League performance and Greece don't. So they would be better served losing and the Netherlands taking the automatic slot. This is because Greece, although they would finish above Ireland, are below them in the play off rankings.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The Nations League tournament is an integral part of the qualification process for the EUROs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Nations League tournament is an integral part of the qualification process for the EUROs.
And the scenario that has occurred in this instance totally exposes it for the complete dogs dinner that it is.
But then - its UEFA. Why should we expect anything else ?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I think after VVD's last minute winner Netherlands are on same points as Greece with a better head to head so just need to win one of their last two (Eire/the mighty Gibraltar) to qualify. Greece only have one game to play. Fait accompli

Greece manager - a fellow called Gus Poyet, got sent off too

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It is an utterly daft way of doing things - Ireland will have played eight games in the qualifiers and will end up losing six of them and winning two - against Gibraltar and Gibraltar. Ireland don't deserve a play-off - and some idiot in the FAI would be daft enough to give Kenny a contract extension on the back of it, if it was to happen.

Now - Ireland are not that bad player-wise - they just have an idiot running the show.

Find it hard to dislike Kenny even tho his record is poor, just feels like Ireland are in between generations at the moment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here