Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Mine was in Horsham 73-76 and I had a cleaning job. I delivered in Orchard Road, Macleod Rd, Elm Grove, Bethune, Eversfield and Bennett's Roads and then a few up in Compton's Lane. Huge bags of papers and double run to shop on Sunday's!

Forgot about Friday's .... and the County Times, back breakers!

I worked down the Causeway on a Thursday evening baling the papers and then Friday morning carrying twice my bloody body weight delivering the papers, everyone use to buy the WSCT.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Bloody hell. Going by this, half of NSC appears to have grown up in Victorian England.

There was an acceptance round my way that as soon as you were old enough, you got a part time job. I almost looked forward to turning 5, when I could get out and earn some real money...

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
In the early 70s I did a morning one for a newsagents in North Lancing. Can't remember the name but it was on the corner of Manor Road and Lynchmere Avenue. Had to do Lynchemere Avenue, then go back to the shop and get another bag and do Griffiths Avenue (plus some of the adjoining roads). Got £1 a week. Gave it up after about six months and did an evening round for Westons in South Street (which was much nearer my home). It was less money (only 70p a week), but much fewer deliveries as I only had to do Penhill Road and bits of Ingleside Crescent. Plus the evening papers (Evening Argus, Evening Standard and the Evening News) were MUCH less bulky than the morning dailies. And no Sundays! (And no hills!)

Same newsagent and round but mid to late 80's. Did Mill and Ring Road as well, hills and heavy papers! Wish I could remember the owners or indeed my wages. That shop was the centre of my childhood.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My round was pretty big, or felt like it anyway, lhad to do all of Ruskin Road. all of Carlyle Road & all of Meadway, plus part of Penton Road as far as the river. It only lasted folr a fewmonthsthough, as l used to sit and read the sports pages of Mrs. Taylor's paper whilst stiingon her front wall before posting it through het letterbox.

She complained to the newsagent and l was sacked, really can't understand why :dunce:.

EDIT . . . Oh, and this was in Staines by the way.

Nobby Horton's Knob

Aug 4, 2019
Portsmuff
I grew up in Woodingdean in the 70s/early 80s. Had a paper round at the newsagents in Falmer Rd , next to the lawnmower shop. Started my round in Falmer Gdns/Briarcroft Rd , The Ridgeway, Cres. Drive N all the way to the Cowley Rd junction. I remember coining in a massive £2.50 per week for 6 mornings!

Offside Oz

Apr 30, 2016
My lad broke his arm playing footy three weeks ago so I’ve been doing his Paperound every day since (and still giving him the £25 weekly pay!)

When I started it was 28 papers for 26 different houses. It’s grown steadily over the last week and is now 40 papers to 37 different houses. Pay has gone up to £28 per week.

My lad is hopefully having his cast taken off on Tuesday so I’ll be having a lie in from Wednesday!

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Mine was massive with a full bag (Sundays had to go and refill halfway around) which was way too heavy and I got paid 1 measly pound a day. Six quid at the end of the week and I genuinely don't think I've worked that hard since.

One day it was pissing down and I quit there and then. I think I might still have PTSD.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
My weekday round wasn't too bad. Sunday round in a different area was a mare. A hilly posh area with long drives where they mostly had the Sunday Times and Telegraph - full of magazines and other supplements. Only plus, it paid almost as much as the weekday round. Two Pound in the week and one pound forty for Sunday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looking for something else, I found this thread.
It was enjoyable at the time and turns out to be a rather enjoyable re-read now.

If everywhere else you turn to happens to be an unmitigated clusterf**k, spend a couple of minutes here.

Enjoy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here