[Albion] How big a factor is ‘bad’ transport affecting your STH decision?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is travel to and from The Amex preventing you getting a ST or renewing your ST?

• Yes

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 88 60.3%

• Total voters

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
Having lived in Horsham, Haywards Heath, Ardingly, Piltdown, Wisbech, Sedlescombe, Icklesham, Robertsbrdge and Hurst Green I have always found a way of getting to and from our "home" grounds with the least impact in time to myself in over 50 years.

Suffice to say I don't have any issues with renewing my ST using transport as the issue. Lucky old me. I've never missed a kick off and never leave early my travel takes around 1 1/2 hours either way including diverting to pick up/drop off others.

Sometimes people lose the fact they are attending one of the biggest supported events in the country on any given day.

The only gripe I have is the closing of the A24 on evening games East of Lewes to build the pointless cycle path instead of building a proper road.
This might sound abrupt but you don’t live in Brighton or Hove so it’s to be expected that it would take a while longer to get back and forth. It also sounds as if you drive to the ground which the majority of fans can’t do either through parking restrictions, lack of spaces or even lack of P&R.

The point people are trying to make is simply that return journeys from Falmer shouldn’t take as long as it takes one to travel from St Mary’s to Hove if one is to leave on or after full time. This was a ground that was placed in the middle of nowhere on the basis that sustainable transport was offered. Whilst I think everyone accepts that there might not be a hard and fast solution, the club need to engage and acknowledge that there is a real problem.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This might sound abrupt but you don’t live in Brighton or Hove so it’s to be expected that it would take a while longer to get back and forth. It also sounds as if you drive to the ground which the majority of fans can’t do either through parking restrictions, lack of spaces or even lack of P&R.

The point people are trying to make is simply that return journeys from Falmer shouldn’t take as long as it takes one to travel from St Mary’s to Hove if one is to leave on or after full time. This was a ground that was placed in the middle of nowhere on the basis that sustainable transport was offered. Whilst I think everyone accepts that there might not be a hard and fast solution, the club need to engage and acknowledge that there is a real problem.
I drive but do not use any club facilities to park

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Kind of my point. +/- 45 mins is nothing really in the great scheme of things. Wouldn’t trade that for missing a late equalise/winner/goal of the season
I’m a home bird, I really appreciate life here, as well as being bored stiff standing in long, avoidable queues.

For circa 15 times per season, I don’t mind missing THE key Albion goal …. that never comes.

I think it’s out of town Amex with crap transport, thing for me. I only left one Withdean game early when Leeds outclassed us, I can’t recall leaving the Goldstone early and I always stay post final whistle in football weekends away up north.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Do wonder how many would happily park if facilities were properly available within a reasonable walking distance - I park 2m away for home games, and typically do the same for away games as I drive to most and actively look for something a little distance away. A 30 minute stroll, often meaning missing traffic queues is infinitely preferable to spending the same amount of time in a queue for a train/bus IMO. Saints yesterday was a prime example - free parking, 25 min stroll, simple.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When are we getting this monorail they promised

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How many of those complaining about the transport issues went to Gillingham?

Yes, it's not great at the moment, but if the train strikes finish then the only issue is the P&R buses and surely that can be resolved.
Hopefully it can. It would just be nice if the club showed some interested in dealing with this

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Do wonder how many would happily park if facilities were properly available within a reasonable walking distance - I park 2m away for home games, and typically do the same for away games as I drive to most and actively look for something a little distance away. A 30 minute stroll, often meaning missing traffic queues is infinitely preferable to spending the same amount of time in a queue for a train/bus IMO. Saints yesterday was a prime example - free parking, 25 min stroll, simple.
You're right. If they built a huge car park near the ground, the congestion to get away will cause people to throw their hands up in disgust.

If they put on three times the buses but charged an extra £10 per ticket it will cause people to throw their hands up in disgust.

Getting away from hugely attended events when everyone is exiting at the same time will cause bottlenecks. It's hardly makes any difference if you live 3 miles away or 30 it's the beginning of the journey that takes the time. I'm not sure what more, apart from a new P and R and extra coaches will ever help.

Going back the Goldstone was not easy to get to, however parking was not such a ballache, but that would be now as B & H hate cars and have stopped anyone being able to park.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You're right. If they built a huge car park near the ground, the congestion to get away will cause people to throw their hands up in disgust.

If they put on three times the buses but charged an extra £10 per ticket it will cause people to throw their hands up in disgust.

Getting away from hugely attended events when everyone is exiting at the same time will cause bottlenecks. It's hardly makes any difference if you live 3 miles away or 30 it's the beginning of the journey that takes the time. I'm not sure what more, apart from a new P and R and extra coaches will ever help.

Going back the Goldstone was not easy to get to, however parking was not such a ballache, but that would be now as B & H hate cars and have stopped anyone being able to park.
Exactly. I don’t find the Amex any better or worse than most other grounds, I just accept any game has travelling time and try to find the best option (and some have no good options, like Spurs), but 30k+ people leaving at (theoretically at least) the same time is always going to result in queues and delays. We seem to have a cohort of fans who can’t accept this for what it is (accepting things have got worse, particularly with trains and P&R buses)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Exactly. I don’t find the Amex any better or worse than most other grounds, I just accept any game has travelling time and try to find the best option (and some have no good options, like Spurs), but 30k+ people leaving at (theoretically at least) the same time is always going to result in queues and delays. We seem to have a cohort of fans who can’t accept this for what it is (accepting things have got worse, particularly with trains and P&R buses)
Someone posted earlier in this thread how all things are awful blah blah blah. He lives in Hove FFS.

I've been to a lot of big events, not just football and can honestly say the Amex isn't anywhere near the worst to get away from. Though I do normally drive I also train it sometimes.

Anyone who has ever parked in Wycombe's official car park with a crowd of about 7500 will agree. 2 1/2 hours to get on the road!!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Anyone who has ever parked in Wycombe's official car park with a crowd of about 7500 will agree. 2 1/2 hours to get on the road!!
Big mistake, first time I went was in a car with 4 others for an evening match, the driver parked there and think we were still there at midnight.
Parked well away from the road that goes to the ground on our next visit.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Got my season ticket back again this season after giving it up during COVID and I'm not renewing again.

The transport plays a part in that decision.

I've always been anxious and uncomfortable in crowded situations and the trains have always been a difficult part of the match day experience for me. Since COVID that's even worse.

I renewed because I thought I could handle it but it turns out I can't so that's that for me.

Before I just dealt with it. Because I loved going to the football. But the thought of being packed in with hundreds of people in a train carriage isn't something I can handle now.

Plus, even when they're not on strike, the service to and from the AMEX has always been pretty poor and it's gotten worse with the bigger crowds we're drawing. Not to mention that Southern has generally been a f***ing shambles for years now.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It is not going to make me cancel but I'm certainly more likely to miss games because of it. The train has got worse, the park and ride has got worse, the club don't give a shit and PB doesn't even bother trotting out his usual guff about monitoring alternative park and ride sites to replace Mithras anymore- they've given up. It just adds to the frustration when it's a pain in the arse getting to and from the ground.

We've been very very lucky not to have more midweek games in the last couple of seasons

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I would add to this some shuttle buses that ran from somewhere just north of Brighton station to a hub around 20-30 minutes walk from the stadium (that therefore could miss the worst of the traffic and shuttle back and forth). I’m very happy to walk 20-30 minutes. 90 minutes in each direction is a bit too much.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Someone posted earlier in this thread how all things are awful blah blah blah. He lives in Hove FFS.

I've been to a lot of big events, not just football and can honestly say the Amex isn't anywhere near the worst to get away from. Though I do normally drive I also train it sometimes.

Absolutely. Can’t think of many PL games where it’s noticeably any quicker to get away. Most involve one or more of a longish walk or a longish wait in a queue or traffic jam. Some are much worse - I guess most of those deciding not to renew don’t go to many away games and think what we have is unique ? Whatever, it doesn’t however excuse the ongoing pisspoor train service, the diminishing P&R service due to no bendy buses or the club’s silence on these very obvious deteriorations though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely. Can’t think of many PL games where it’s noticeably any quicker to get away. Most involve one or more of a longish walk or a longish wait in a queue or traffic jam. Some are much worse - I guess most of those deciding not to renew don’t go to many away games and think what we have is unique ? Whatever, it doesn’t however excuse the ongoing pisspoor train service, the diminishing P&R service due to no bendy buses or the club’s silence on these very obvious deteriorations though.
Apparently an announcement re the P&R service is imminent. From January it is to be renamed the P&R&Q service

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah there definitely seems to be a gaping chasm between expectation and reality.

It is quite bizarre just how entrenched the expectation side has become.
It's not as if transporting 17k out of the AMEX with an extra PnR site and working trains went without criticism.

Yet it's equally bizarre of the club to say 'shut up, we're not interested', despite the fact it's clear to anyone in the CCTV gantry the situation has become much worse.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I mentioned having to revisit the decision of using Seagulls Travel when junior breaches the subsidy age bracket on cost but frankly having used the train a couple of times, the bridge once (never again) and ST for the majority there is no comparison. Turn up an hour before, no rush at the end and leave the coach park on time 30 mins after the final whistle. Appreciate thought that this comes at a cost.

If anything I will be looking at value in match season ticket costs so if I need to decide on cutting back I’ll move us from zone b to the family stand whilst maintaining seagulls travel, as it’s so much easier to deal with.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Seagull travel has 2 services, the matchday coaches and then a cheaper option the matchday bus. I understand with the coaches you will basically get back on the same coach after the game and then set off home but wondered about the buses. Does it work in the same way or do you come out and just get on the first Seagulls bus that you see?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports