[Albion] How big a factor is ‘bad’ transport affecting your STH decision?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is travel to and from The Amex preventing you getting a ST or renewing your ST?

• Yes

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 88 60.3%

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Personally don’t understand the logic of making all that effort to go to a game, and then leaving whilst the whole thing remains in the balance just to get home a bit earlier but each to his/her own, we’ve all got different priorities :shrug: It does kill the atmosphere just at the time it could make a difference though. Presumably the players don’t look up and think ‘well if half of them don’t give a shit about the result then why should I ?’ but in a league of such fine margins even a subconscious thought could make a difference
We've emptied a fair few away EPL stadiums, over the years, most recently 24 hours 12 minutes ago!
So our transportation issues isn't exclusively to blame.
Customers can stay when they want too, I don't remember too many 'atmosphere killers' with 5 minutes to go v Chelsea.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We've emptied a fair few away EPL stadiums, over the years, most recently 24 hours 12 minutes ago!
Customers can stay when they want too, I don't remember too many 'atmosphere killers' with 5 minutes to go v Chelsea.
Yep, but there’s very often an exodus when the game is level or there is only a goal in it, which was the point.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think fans would be happy to stay all night if we were thrashing a team managed by our somewhat tainted former manager.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, but there’s very often an exodus when the game is level or there is only a goal in it, which was the point.
Yeah I know, there was a time when that goal was never going to come no matter how long we waited, maybe that's a changing!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Personally don’t understand the logic of making all that effort to go to a game, and then leaving whilst the whole thing remains in the balance just to get home a bit earlier but each to his/her own, we’ve all got different priorities :shrug: It does kill the atmosphere just at the time it could make a difference though. Presumably the players don’t look up and think ‘well if half of them don’t give a shit about the result then why should I ?’ but in a league of such fine margins even a subconscious thought could make a differencelenty of kiddies not giving the slightest toss about the game while the game is in play. Same as you go to any gig and the bar area is always full while the main band is on. That's how life is :shrug:

Personally don’t understand the logic of making all that effort to go to a game, and then leaving whilst the whole thing remains in the balance just to get home a bit earlier but each to his/her own, we’ve all got different priorities :shrug: It does kill the atmosphere just at the time it could make a difference though. Presumably the players don’t look up and think ‘well if half of them don’t give a shit about the result then why should I ?’ but in a league of such fine margins even a subconscious thought could make a difference
Always plenty of kiddies on the concourses at the Amex while the game's in progress that couldn't give the tiniest shit about the game. Exact equivalent of those kiddies at the bar at a gig when the main band is on :shrug:

Last edited:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
i Went yesterday and I was home before 1900 , that was including a twenty five minute walk back to West Quay ,
at the moment I am getting home in Portslade about 1845 ,
I think it is about time the club took the present transport situation seriously, and put out a statement regarding the current position and what they intend to do about it , if anything, only fair to the fans so at least the fans know what is going on

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
It won’t stop me renewing my season ticket but it seriously takes away some of the enjoyment, especially evening games.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How many of those complaining about the transport issues went to Gillingham?

Yes, it's not great at the moment, but if the train strikes finish then the only issue is the P&R buses and surely that can be resolved.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Yes, it's not great at the moment, but if the train strikes finish then the only issue is the P&R buses and surely that can be resolved.
Or even Withdean if you didn’t live in Brighton! We used to drive to every game, was lucky if we even had 1 beer either. No idea how we survived

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Having lived in Horsham, Haywards Heath, Ardingly, Piltdown, Wisbech, Sedlescombe, Icklesham, Robertsbrdge and Hurst Green I have always found a way of getting to and from our "home" grounds with the least impact in time to myself in over 50 years.

Suffice to say I don't have any issues with renewing my ST using transport as the issue. Lucky old me. I've never missed a kick off and never leave early my travel takes around 1 1/2 hours either way including diverting to pick up/drop off others.

Sometimes people lose the fact they are attending one of the biggest supported events in the country on any given day.

The only gripe I have is the closing of the A24 on evening games East of Lewes to build the pointless cycle path instead of building a proper road.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Me for one. Had a ST too. It was easier on many occasions. You say “if the train strikes…then the only…” but isn’t that the point? If my auntie had, and all that. She doesn’t, so let’s get back on point. Anyway, if you don’t have any issues that’s good. Unlike plenty of others.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having lived in Horsham, Haywards Heath, Ardingly, Piltdown, Wisbech, Sedlescombe, Icklesham, Robertsbrdge and Hurst Green I have always found a way of getting to and from our "home" grounds with the least impact in time to myself in over 50 years.

Suffice to say I don't have any issues with renewing my ST using transport as the issue. Lucky old me. I've never missed a kick off and never leave early my travel takes around 1 1/2 hours either way including diverting to pick up/drop off others.

Sometimes people lose the fact they are attending one of the biggest supported events in the country on any given day.

The only gripe I have is the closing of the A24 on evening games East of Lewes to build the pointless cycle path instead of building a proper road.
Where abouts is the A24 east of Lewes???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Me for one. Had a ST too. It was easier on many occasions. You say “if the train strikes…then the only…” but isn’t that the point? If my auntie had, and all that. She doesn’t, so let’s get back on point. Anyway, if you don’t have any issues that’s good. Unlike plenty of others.
I suppose the point I'm making is that travel has been a lot worse in the past for some and at that time we travelled a long way to watch utter tripe. We've now got the best team in the club's history, playing in the highest league against the best teams in the best stadium the clubs ever had. The train strikes won't last forever. It is of course all down to choice but would seem bizarre to me to jump ship just as we are heading, hopefully, for even better things, possibly with a continental feel!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I suppose the point I'm making is that travel has been a lot worse in the past for some and at that time we travelled a long way to watch utter tripe. We've now got the best team in the club's history, playing in the highest league against the best teams in the best stadium the clubs ever had. The train strikes won't last forever. It is of course all down to choice but would seem bizarre to me to jump ship just as we are heading, hopefully, for even better things, possibly with a continental feel!!
Nearly as bizarre as using Gillingham for the metric to prove every argument.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For me it’s the difference between getting home (just 3 miles away as the crow flies) at 5:15 or standing in a vast queue in the Albion p’n’r area and getting home at 6.

I leave the NS when I judge it’s just a few minutes to go until actual final whistle. If we’re on fire and/or I want to thank the players for a great win, I stay, rarely.

In all the years I don’t think I’ve missed an Albion Amex goal, but I’ve heard the muffled roar of a few away goals sailing in eg an unjust Burnley equaliser just before the pandemic.

It’s instinct. I can feel when we’re inept in front of goal, where we could play til midnight and get nowhere.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For me it’s the difference between getting home (just 3 miles away as the crow flies) at 5:15 or standing in a vast queue in the Albion p’n’r area and getting home at 6.

I leave the NS when I judge it’s just a few minutes to go until actual final whistle. If we’re on fire and/or I want to thank the players for a great win, I stay, rarely.

In all the years I don’t think I’ve missed an Albion Amex goal, but I’ve heard the muffled roar of a few away goals sailing in eg an unjust Burnley equaliser just before the pandemic.

It’s instinct. I can feel when we’re inept in front of goal, where we could play til midnight and get nowhere.
Kind of my point. +/- 45 mins is nothing really in the great scheme of things. Wouldn’t trade that for missing a late equalise/winner/goal of the season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports