[Albion] How big a factor is ‘bad’ transport affecting your STH decision?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is travel to and from The Amex preventing you getting a ST or renewing your ST?

• Yes

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 88 60.3%

• Total voters

Jul 7, 2003
Having moved to worthing at the end of Sept I've found getting to games a ridiculous slog, when it really shouldn't be. 4 carriage trains twice an hour when a game is on means standing room only, assuming you can squeeze on to the train.

Passion for the Albion means I'll keep going but it is already becoming a bit of a chore rather than a delight. THe Mrs also has a ST and she is a football flight risk as the rubbish trains are really annoying her.
As someone in that area, I use a mix of train and coach. Trains are okay as long as you are happy to leave a bit earlier on the way over and hang around for a while after. For evening games or if I need to get back quickly after a game, I use Seagull Travel as it means I am home by 10:45 rather than midnight. ST isn't cheap now but I look at it as paying for convenience and less hassle.

As others have said, I can't understand why the club removed the subsidy from their official travel partner. Maybe that is something for our Fans Representative to take up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Certainly for those of us Susses based, travelling to the Amex is far easier, and quicker, even allowing for potential parking problems, and public transport delays/cancellations.
I would suggest, very much the opposite could be true.

For those living a distance away going to the Albion must be an all day event, Irrespective as to how long that day is.

Whereas those of us Sussexites going to the Albion is still an all day event despite the fact the very most anyone has to travel, in one direction, is only about 35 miles.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My thoughts:

1. My Plan A is the short drive to Shoreham station then train to ground via Brighton. This means I can stay behind with the group I sit with. Train strikes have scuppered that.
2. My Plan B is the direct football bus from Steyning which is brilliant but means I can't stay behind with my group as the bus leaves promptly after the game ends.
3. What I find the worst thing about transport is not anything to do with myself but seeing the mass exodus on 85 mins, and the support that is lost at the business end of the match. You don't get this anywhere else in the world of entertainment, and it is proof that despite us being at the Amex for 11+ years transport is still rubbish. Maybe one day when all vehicles are electric they will build a bigger car/coach park near to the ground and a lot of this ball-ache will be a thing of the past.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I would suggest, very much the opposite could be true.

For those living a distance away going to the Albion must be an all day event, Irrespective as to how long that day is.

Whereas those of us Sussexites going to the Albion is still an all day event despite the fact the very most anyone has to travel, in one direction, is only about 35 miles.
Something enormously hard to accept that can take 2hrs to get within relative proximity of the ground having travelled eg 70 odd miles; only to take a further couple sometimes to do the last 2-3.

But what I’m really talking about on this thread is it’s become so bad and with the prospect of further barriers like strike action, are people thinking it’s just become to much of a hurdle now to make it worth investing in a ST knowing you simply might not be able to get to games (within reason, I mean we can all set off a week before and camp out on the downs but I’ve not really got that flexibility most matches. Most…)

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I've not taken the train over since pre-pandemic days (not because of Covid, but because my son now comes with me). If you were doing a couple of beers before and after, the train was always fine. Jump on around 11:30 and either get the direct train or the London train, changing at Hove for the shuttle. Coming home, after a couple of pints, the queue has largely gone and getting home was easy from there.

If there were any issues or it was a particularly busy day, it may be standing room only getting on at one of the Worthing stations, but you'd always get on. The same couldn't be said for the poor souls further east. The train would pull in and collectively the faces on the platform would drop, as everyone realised they faced a real issue just squeezing onto the train. It's not a lot of fun, particularly if you have young kids.

It sounds like every Saturday is like that now and am I right in saying the ridiculously useful Hove <--> Brighton shuttle doesn't run any more?
It still runs, only came back in September though, quite often cancelled due to lack of train crew as well, the issue is they got rid of the West Worthing to Brighton every half an hour.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Used to get the train at least part of the way, but having no clue when I’d get back afterwards so often led me to park a couple of miles away and walk in. I don’t drink at games anyway so have no problem driving. Can be a bit grim on a January evening when it’s pissing down but doesn’t happen very often at all. Wonder how many would be prepared to walk up to say 30 mins or so if suitable parking could be found ?

Jul 7, 2003
The official transport options are frustrating and the reduction in parking at the University and the loss of the Mithras House P&R has greatly reduced options for many as the racecourse is not the easiest place to get to for many and Mill Road has issues over size and now buses.

What I think should be considered with the Council is extending the bus lane on the Lewes Road out to Falmer Station - even if it was only allocated as a dedicated bus lane on matchdays . This would stop the issues with buses being stuck in the queues around the Bridge / bottom of Coldean Lane and allow a quicker turnaround of the B&H buses. Same with the sliproad up to the University from the A27 Eastbound. Make one lane buses and coaches only (and have people there to enforce it) which would make P&R, bus and coach journeys faster and therefore more likely that people would use them. It could also open up new P&R options if they buses are less likely to get caught up in traffic queues so could be run from other locations.

Another thing we lack compared to many places are the unofficial parking options which take pressure off of the public transport options (sorry @Stat Brother ). Many grounds around the country have industrial estates nearby there companies open up their car parks on match days for those who want to park nearby.

Even if Southern Water had a change of mind and decided to sell parking, this would probably not help much though as it would just make the traffic around the Bridge even worse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My thoughts:

1. My Plan A is the short drive to Shoreham station then train to ground via Brighton. This means I can stay behind with the group I sit with. Train strikes have scuppered that.
2. My Plan B is the direct football bus from Steyning which is brilliant but means I can't stay behind with my group as the bus leaves promptly after the game ends.
3. What I find the worst thing about transport is not anything to do with myself but seeing the mass exodus on 85 mins, and the support that is lost at the business end of the match. You don't get this anywhere else in the world of entertainment, and it is proof that despite us being at the Amex for 11+ years transport is still rubbish. Maybe one day when all vehicles are electric they will build a bigger car/coach park near to the ground and a lot of this ball-ache will be a thing of the past.
Why would vehicles being electric change anything?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The official transport options are frustrating and the reduction in parking at the University and the loss of the Mithras House P&R has greatly reduced options for many as the racecourse is not the easiest place to get to for many and Mill Road has issues over size and now buses.

What I think should be considered with the Council is extending the bus lane on the Lewes Road out to Falmer Station - even if it was only allocated as a dedicated bus lane on matchdays . This would stop the issues with buses being stuck in the queues around the Bridge / bottom of Coldean Lane and allow a quicker turnaround of the B&H buses. Same with the sliproad up to the University from the A27 Eastbound. Make one lane buses and coaches only (and have people there to enforce it) which would make P&R, bus and coach journeys faster and therefore more likely that people would use them. It could also open up new P&R options if they buses are less likely to get caught up in traffic queues so could be run from other locations.

Another thing we lack compared to many places are the unofficial parking options which take pressure off of the public transport options (sorry @Stat Brother ). Many grounds around the country have industrial estates nearby there companies open up their car parks on match days for those who want to park nearby.

Even if Southern Water had a change of mind and decided to sell parking, this would probably not help much though as it would just make the traffic around the Bridge even worse.
No reason to apologise!

I've used many an industrial estate parking facility when watching the Albion - anywhere other than Brighton!!

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
The transport issue is just part of my consideration as to whether to renew my ST for next year. Being a bit of a technophobe at the moment I have to jump through quite a few hoops and rising extra cost not to have my ticket and others I purchase on my phone.

Re transport, I live a few minutes walk from Portslade Station so in theory it should be easy to use the free transport provided. However, experience has told me you cannot trust the trains at Portslade Station - they either don't turn up or are rammed full. So I used to catch the bus to Brighton station , this was better but there was quite a few problems with the Brighton to Falmer trains. If you come by train and want to see the final whistle then you are going to be in a huge queue going back to Brighton - not good if raining or opposition supporters are "troublesome".

For the last couple of seasons I have been driving and paying to park on someone's driveway in Coldean and then walking to the Amex (about 35 minutes walk). This is obviously more expensive and not environmentally friendly and is horrendous if the weather is bad. The main plus points are that I can leave after the match at anytime and know I will walk past the train queues and be back home within an hour of leaving the Amex and not be shoehorned into a carriage or hanging around at train/bus stations/stops.

So all in all , Yes the transport issues are in my mind when weighing up renew.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why would vehicles being electric change anything?
Because the environmental impact of driving a petrol / diesel car to football is terrible compared to all of the other modes of transport, hence the planners / clubs reluctance to include large car parks in the original plans 15-20 years ago. I think a lot of people would ideally like to drive from their home to as close to the ground as possible, and maybe get a short shuttle bus to the ground. Paying £15 to park in The Bridge, queuing to get in and out of that tiny tunnel one car a t a time is rubbish.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because the environmental impact of driving a petrol / diesel car to football is terrible compared to all of the other modes of transport, hence the planners / clubs reluctance to include large car parks in the original plans 15-20 years ago. I think a lot of people would ideally like to drive from their home to as close to the ground as possible, and maybe get a short shuttle bus to the ground. Paying £15 to park in The Bridge, queuing to get in and out of that tiny tunnel one car a t a time is rubbish.
The latter is very true.

But the car dependency you mention is exactly the reason we're (transportation in this country, in general) in this much shite.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Being 50 miles away, it is a full day out really for us. Getting away quickly is important, especially evening games. We are not early leavers.

If my lad wants to pack it in, I might copy as its a bit poxy doing al that travel alone.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was it that, or was it that there just isn't sufficient parking infrastructure (including all the 'informal' options that other grounds enjoy) close to the Amex?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was it that, or was it that there just isn't sufficient parking infrastructure (including all the 'informal' options that other grounds enjoy) close to the Amex?
If only we clicked our heels together and went to Kansas.

This beauty brings a tear to the eye
images (17).jpeg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

But we have the university car parks as well as the bridge which together must hold a fair few. The problem seems to be a) the number of buses remains the same but the loss of the bendy buses has effectively cut supply by half (probably more relevant to Mill Road) and b) the trains haven't got their act together since the pandemic.

For the first 5/6 years, we always used to drive (from Burgess Hill) and use Mill Rd and 3 or 4 times a season meet up in Lewes before the game for a few drinks however, now we rarely drive and meet up for most games. We're happy not to rush off and have at least one at the ground post match to let the rush die down. At Withdean, I pretty much used to turn up and then disappear immediately the game was over. It was all about the football and only the football. Now it's more of a social thing.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
PB did say when Mithras closed this would reopen or be replaced. Is the reason nothing has happened down to cost saving or unable to find a site. Its madness now with people coming from East having to drive across Brighton to race course when Mill Rd full

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
PB did say when Mithras closed this would reopen or be replaced. Is the reason nothing has happened down to cost saving or unable to find a site. Its madness now with people coming from East having to drive across Brighton to race course when Mill Rd full
Which seemingly is earlier and earlier every game.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Living in the east as I do with the ongoing (and perhaps never-ending) rail issues and with STH renewals coming up in little more than 2 months, I am reluctantly considering what to do. Liverpool at home at 3pm on a Saturday being scuppered next month could be defining. (Like many, I'm not bothering with Arsenal)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports