Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How big a factor is ‘bad’ transport affecting your STH decision?

Is travel to and from The Amex preventing you getting a ST or renewing your ST?

• Yes

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 88 60.3%

• Total voters

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was seriously considering getting a ST again, starting with a half one because seat very close to where friends are / my old one used to be.

However, looking at remaining fixtures included (such as Arsenal game) I already know it’s nigh on impossible for me to make because of transport so it’s automatically money down drain.

Then there’s the probability of further strikes on top of what is a dreadful service to begin with. Including over subscribed park and ride facilities.

By time I’d sobered up, ie head took over from heart, I decided not to ask Father Christmas because realistically the sheer uncertainty of being able to get to and from the Amex with a 4hr round trip journey on top of time takes to get to stadium when I’m ‘in the zone’ (close proximity, which can add several more hours easily!) means it’s just too much hassle.

Wondered how many others are now seriously considering ST’s simply because of transport issues such as strikes, engineering works, lack of basics such as drivers, engines and carriages?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This seems to be pretty much the same thread as pure white's and the rail strike one and the same old points and arguments will no doubt appear.

However, I've not merged it, as it has asked a specific question that deserves to be answered. I might just add a poll in a minute.

As much as travel to and from is a ballache I have this disease called Brightonfanitis and a Brighton mad son who loves going to our games. Additionally we have the best squad I have ever seen in my lifetime. Additionally I have sat next to @Scoffers since the stadium opened and we were talking on Weds night about doing more aways now his kids are at college or Uni. Even after that Charlton game. Even after that journey home. It's just the blue and white blood. I will always renew. They have me by the short and curlies.

What I don't like is when the club pretend that the "Fan Experience" is fantastic for their "customers". It's getting worse and worse and worse. More people in the ground and the loss of Bennet's Field, the loss of bendy buses and the total unreliability of the trains means a lot more stress and anxiety so that I can "consume" that experience of sitting with my friends and watching fantastic, world class players like Mac Allister, Mitoma and Caicedo.

It's annoying. Worthing basically has exactly the fan experience I want. For most of their games I could leave quite late, get a seat on a train there, have a very decent pint in Brooksteed close to the ground, get to the ground five mins before kick off, PotG and get very close to the action with a decent atmosphere. But - it's not Brighton, it's not my group of people who've sat together for years.

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
Fan experience getting to and from the ground is probably one of the worst in the football league. The only reason we accept this joke is because we were homeless for so long.

To actually answer the question, I would have an ST if getting there was viable. I live in Hove.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So far rail strikes have had a bigger impact on away games.
I live in London and don't drive.
I couldn't make the Spurs game because of the kick off time, combined with the strike action.
The other strike days, there have been Thameslink services running.

Missed out on Liverpool because of the strike.
Managed to get a coach for the return journey for the wolves game.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Normally the doom and gloomers come out after Christmas not before !

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This seems to be pretty much the same thread as pure white's and the rail strike one and the same old points and arguments will no doubt appear.

However, I've not merged it, as it has asked a specific question that deserves to be answered. I might just add a poll in a minute.

As much as travel to and from is a ballache I have this disease called Brightonfanitis and a Brighton mad son who loves going to our games. Additionally we have the best squad I have ever seen in my lifetime. Additionally I have sat next to @Scoffers since the stadium opened and we were talking on Weds night about doing more aways now his kids are at college or Uni. Even after that Charlton game. Even after that journey home. It's just the blue and white blood. I will always renew. They have me by the short and curlies.

What I don't like is when the club pretend that the "Fan Experience" is fantastic for their "customers". It's getting worse and worse and worse. More people in the ground and the loss of Bennet's Field, the loss of bendy buses and the total unreliability of the trains means a lot more stress and anxiety so that I can "consume" that experience of sitting with my friends and watching fantastic, world class players like Mac Allister, Mitoma and Caicedo.

It's annoying. Worthing basically has exactly the fan experience I want. For most of their games I could leave quite late, get a seat on a train there, have a very decent pint in Brooksteed close to the ground, get to the ground five mins before kick off, PotG and get very close to the action with a decent atmosphere. But - it's not Brighton, it's not my group of people who've sat together for years.
A million percent this.

I’ve sat in the same seat since The Amex opened my Dad next to me and now my oldest son has a season ticket with us. Made many friends around us and it’s a genuine pleasure watching football with them all.

I have had to change travel plans now though, we drive to my Mums and get the bus down from there to the ground rather than trying to come over from Bexhill by train. Yes it means I can’t have loads of beers but that’s never been high on the agenda anyway.

I suppose ultimately it’s what’s important, to me watching the Albion with friends trumps everything else so I’d rather change travel plans where I have to than miss out. But I appreciate it may not be that simple for everyone.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Since we have been at the Amex, I have always had one of the easiest journeys (although not as easy as Withdean), 5 mins walk to Mill Road P&R 45 mins before KO, couple of pints afterwards, walk up and get on bus 45 mins after FT, no queue and never even considered transport as a problem.

However, fast forward to this season and the disappearance of the bendy buses. I have missed KO three times (once by 14 mins) despite now leaving 1.15 before kick off. After my couple of pints has been extended to three and an hour after the final whistle, I have been joining the Mill Road queue at the bottom of the hill by the Programme stall.

I'm now getting a bit pissed off hanging about, so god knows what it's like for people with worse journeys. Still haven't even thought about giving up ST though :shrug:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Fan experience getting to and from the ground is probably one of the worst in the football league. The only reason we accept this joke is because we were homeless for so long.

To actually answer the question, I would have an ST if getting there was viable. I live in Hove.
Worst experience in the entire Football League? that's one heck of a statement considering the league consists of 92 clubs. I feel sure, (though admittedly without knowing), that their must be quite a few worse than us.

I guess l am one of the lucky ones, being delivered warm and cosy into the coach park, and home again, courtesy of Northwest Sussex Seagulls.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No effect on my ST for me at all.

But it helps make my mind up about not going to certain games when trains are off. The deal-breaker was standing in the Mill Road queue until close to KO for the Spuds game, whereupon I swivelled and walked back home ….. f*** that for a game of soldiers.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Right now not a consideration………..maybe if it’s the same situation in a few years it might be a factor….but probably not, as the arse of missing a few games will be offset by the discount on a ST for old gits

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Currently pay Seagulls Travel from BH to get us to and from the ground and it’s A1 but when junior gets older that cost will be close to a third season ticket in values for the both of us (I think the cost is proportionate to be fair) so will need to consider next steps as could start getting the train but it really isn’t that appealing from what I see on here!

The obvious thing to do is a few dry runs near the end of the season before his ticket increases to see if the cost benefit of the coach holds up vs the “free travel zone” I suspect it will if things aren’t improved.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Currently pay Seagulls Travel from BH to get us to and from the ground and it’s A1 but when junior gets older that cost will be close to a third season ticket in values for the both of us (I think the cost is proportionate to be fair) so will need to consider next steps as could start getting the train but it really isn’t that appealing from what I see on here!

The obvious thing to do is a few dry runs near the end of the season before his ticket increases to see if the cost benefit of the coach holds up vs the “free travel zone” I suspect it will if things aren’t improved.
If finances enable you to do it, l'd strongly advise you to stick with Seagulls Travel. My NWSS season ticket isn't cheap either, but nothing beats gliding to and from games in your own comfy coach seat, and only having to walk a few yards to sthe stadium.

Every time we drive out of the coach park after games l glance over at the never ending queues of fans all waiting hopefully for their P & R bus back to Mill Road or the Racecourse and wonder how long they will have to wait. I even allow myself a self satisfied smirk on occasions especially if it's peeing down with rain!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A million percent this.

I’ve sat in the same seat since The Amex opened my Dad next to me and now my oldest son has a season ticket with us. Made many friends around us and it’s a genuine pleasure watching football with them all.

I have had to change travel plans now though, we drive to my Mums and get the bus down from there to the ground rather than trying to come over from Bexhill by train. Yes it means I can’t have loads of beers but that’s never been high on the agenda anyway.

I suppose ultimately it’s what’s important, to me watching the Albion with friends trumps everything else so I’d rather change travel plans where I have to than miss out. But I appreciate it may not be that simple for everyone.
For me it didn’t used to be a factor, but because it’s got noticeably worse meaning you now know you simply cannot get to matches, and effectively will forfeit and can’t afford to these days, it’s become a far greater decision influencer. I mean, watching live football with friends regardless of division we’re in or what we play like, has always been what attracts me to invest in a ST. But that’s the issue, the keyword being “watching” ie I know I might not be able to, increasingly, because of appalling transport infrastructure. Know club can do nothing about, from reading this forum. The only solution appears to be the Albion playing in a lower division and getting smaller crowds rather than wait for Southern Rail, Bus, local and National government to get things in order. That’s never going to happen seemingly, so for now, it’s a major influence if 4-5hr round trips become eg double that, or even get there at all, simply to do the last leg of 2-3miles. Which is just ridiculous really. Shame.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Since we have been at the Amex, I have always had one of the easiest journeys (although not as easy as Withdean), 5 mins walk to Mill Road P&R 45 mins before KO, couple of pints afterwards, walk up and get on bus 45 mins after FT, no queue and never even considered transport as a problem.

However, fast forward to this season and the disappearance of the bendy buses. I have missed KO three times (once by 14 mins) despite now leaving 1.15 before kick off. After my couple of pints has been extended to three and an hour after the final whistle, I have been joining the Mill Road queue at the bottom of the hill by the Programme stall.

I'm now getting a bit pissed off hanging about, so god knows what it's like for people with worse journeys. Still haven't even thought about giving up ST though :shrug:
Wow, that’s interesting to hear experience of someone so close by how it’s considerably worsened for P&R this year. In some respects if able to drive and use, I know I have to be there by 12.30/1pm or risk not being able to park after 2-3hr journey. My main point is that with all the transport horror stories on NSC this season, plus strikes, I’ve shy-ed away from potential purchase simply because feels very much like going to have to forfeit tickets because of / experience such nightmare that it’s probably better not to.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Still beats going to Gillingham to watch a home game.
From a transport perspective, actually it doesn’t. Gillingham wins from it’s the journey, not the destination, stakes! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here