Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How are you coping with this orgy of Scotishness?

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Let them break away, no more free prescriptions, funded schooling, the rate of the pound will probably be less. The Scottish £100 note will be worth **** all south of the border.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is certainly an interesting question. I was given to understand that Scotland will not be automatically admitted into the EU after their secession (or whatever we want to call it), so Scottish players in the EU clubs will have to be regarded as non-EU foreigners. That will limit the number of them in English clubs, and most of them will have to go back to Scotland, making the SPL significantly stronger.

im sure the rules around foreigners doesnt mention EU. theres "home grown", those that have had a certain number of years under 21 in a country, irrespective of their orignal country. everyone else is treated the same.

aside from that, yes, the Scots will not automatically be allowed into the EU, if at all. they are so insistant on keeping the £ when joining the EU requires you to adopt the €. they cannot keep the £ and be admitted to the EU, one of many, many contradictions they perpetuate.

I think you will find that the right honorable gentleman Gordon McBrown (Cowdenbeath and Killcaddy) ably assisted by Alistair McDarling (Edinburgh West ) PM and Chancellor, managed to change the boundary's of the oilfields so that many were located to Scottish waters, whilst making sure the ship building industry was moved from Portsmouth to Scotland.

i think you'll find thats nonsence. oil fields are defined by where they are, they cant be moved, and as there's currently no "scottish waters", theres no where for anything to be relocated to. right on the ship building though, scottish shipyards managed to get an awaful lot of Navy orders that could have been done elsewhere in th UK.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
im sure the rules around foreigners doesnt mention EU. theres "home grown", those that have had a certain number of years under 21 in a country, irrespective of their orignal country. everyone else is treated the same.

aside from that, yes, the Scots will not automatically be allowed into the EU, if at all. they are so insistant on keeping the £ when joining the EU requires you to adopt the €. they cannot keep the £ and be admitted to the EU, one of many, many contradictions they perpetuate.

i think you'll find thats nonsence. oil fields are defined by where they are, they cant be moved, and as there's currently no "scottish waters", theres no where for anything to be relocated to. right on the ship building though, scottish shipyards managed to get an awaful lot of Navy orders that could have been done elsewhere in th UK.

That's right, no oil, no fish, no EU for what it's worth, no demand for their pagan goods, basically the jockies are fecked.
They can always rely on exports of Buckie, but hey, they'd dehydrate within a week, and heck, it's imported from the West Country anyway.
Alex Salmon, you are an idi*t together with all your self deluded nationalistic cronies. May you rot in unsold putrid haggis.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Scotland WILL join the EU and it will be a sad day. Effectively a part of Britain being annexed by Germany.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I don't think they will vote for independence. The vocal minority are mostly in the YES camp but the average scot (indeed the average anyone) doesn't like to vote for uncertainty and that's what they'll get .
Salmon's answer to a lot of it seems to be "Oh it'll be alright" which is fine if you're talking about whether to serve chips or mash but when you're talking about currency & the EU is a bit of a big ask. The Croatian PM has already said that they will veto Scotland's membership unless it's on the same terms as other new joiners. Other nations have made similar noises.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
True, although I prefer to use the term "Scotch" :smile:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'd love it if they went

We could potentially move the clocks forward an hour if they left.
We could laugh at their downfall on the news every day.
We might not have to put up with the scotch football results and see how many Rangers have put past some pub team.

What's not to like? Go on. Piss off.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I love this.....

image.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't think they will vote for independence. The vocal minority are mostly in the YES camp but the average scot (indeed the average anyone) doesn't like to vote for uncertainty and that's what they'll get .
Salmon's answer to a lot of it seems to be "Oh it'll be alright" which is fine if you're talking about whether to serve chips or mash but when you're talking about currency & the EU is a bit of a big ask. The Croatian PM has already said that they will veto Scotland's membership unless it's on the same terms as other new joiners. Other nations have made similar noises.

Indeed - all the opinion polls agree ( for once ), there's no chance of a yes vote winning.

Downlander

Apr 14, 2011
We know the Scots are proud but my reason for posting this question was not necessarily to evaluated the merits or otherwise of Scottish independence but how, being an Englishman, the 'rubbishing' of my country to advance the Nats cause, affects my pride? Have some Scots developed a too greater 'superior complex' at the expense of us English whist we are currently impotent to respond? I'm probably just over sensitive!

One point on the actual issues - I do find it strange that their resentfulness of their lack of control within the current alliance where they represent approx 1 in 10 of the population - they wish to replace with an alliance where they represent approx 1 in 100 of the population. How will that increase their influence? Currently, subconsciously they look down on countries such as Rumania, Bulgaria, Slovenia etc. and even Greece. How will they react to having to look up to all the larger and economically growing nations near the hub of Europe whilst they, perhaps, become an ever decreasingly significant, expensive, nation on the fringe of the continent in 20 -30 years time?

Still! - Alex will be enjoying his well earned comfortable retirement whilst today's Scottish kids frantically work out how to make a living for themselves and at the same time pay for perhaps, the most costly state in Europe.

Might it be necessary to reinforce Hadrian's wall, East Germany style, to stop them escaping?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is certainly an interesting question. I was given to understand that Scotland will not be automatically admitted into the EU after their secession (or whatever we want to call it), so Scottish players in the EU clubs will have to be regarded as non-EU foreigners. That will limit the number of them in English clubs, and most of them will have to go back to Scotland, making the SPL significantly stronger.

Indeed - all the opinion polls agree ( for once ), there's no chance of a yes vote winning.

All the polls show 'Better Together' ahead by varying margins but those margins do change quite dramatically. For example (from the BBC) the ICM poll shows a gap of 10% but in April it was down to 3%.

Whilst I think Salmond spouts a load of crap and is very adept at avoiding answering questions, he is a very good orator (it helps being up against Darling who put on a disastrous display which a lot of people will remember rather than the content of the debate the other day). I think he knows very well that he is on a very economic sticky wicket but he appeals for the romantic notion of an independent Scotland.

From our point of view south of Hadrians wall, we should be having a poll to see whether we want to keep the Scots in the Union and what exactly is in it for us?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Well the gap in recent polls seems to be below the the don't know percentage, so there's enough voters out there to swing it. However, I believe past referendums have shown that the status quo has a huge advantage in picking up those kind of voters.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

The ones already living in England and Wales (and NI) will have the option to remain British. You'd have to be one hell of a patriot to forego the incentive of a Premier League, or even Championship, salary for the sake of having a thistle on your passport.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Independence for the Scots makes no sense as if they vote yes they will just have to hand all power to Brussels.

How's that independence?

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Good luck to them. Plenty of Scots I've spoken see it as an opportunity to build something better and they realise it's going to be extremely tough for them over the next 5-10 years. From what I gather they're looking to base their new constitution and basis of government on the Scandinavian model, more community led governing than centralised. Whether Alex Salmond's ego allows that to happen is another thing as the Nationalists have never been particularly open as to whether they'd allow this. As to the EU, there's other organisations they can join in the mean time such as EFTA. Part of me actually wants them to go for it, be interesting to see whether they can pull it off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here