Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Housing Market

Will Coronavirus impact the housing market?

• House prices will drop

Votes: 73 42.0%
  • House prices will increase

Votes: 36 20.7%
  • Do not care

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Far too early to know yet

Votes: 49 28.2%

• Total voters

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Currently selling ours but struggling to find somewhere to buy. Tempted to let the sale go through and rent for a bit although the disruption of multiple moves puts me off.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Please god no, have we not got enough shitty threads full of doom and gloom....

an economic recession was already on the horizon in the next 6-18 months - the pandemic has simply accelerated and deepened it. It will take 3-4 years, and maybe longer, to work its way out of the capitalist system.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Currently selling ours but struggling to find somewhere to buy. Tempted to let the sale go through and rent for a bit although the disruption of multiple moves puts me off.

If I was in your position I would sell - I would do so in the expectation that prices will drop.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I'd exchange ASAP before you get gazundered!!!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The market will find it difficult to sell homes, as people will look to stay where they are due to the uncertainty around wages and future employment until the virus has abated.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Tracker and variable, not to fixed rates as yet

It’s starting to effect lending decisions and criteria already. I’ve got a client quite senior in the travel industry looking to remortgage, application went in last week, should have been a very straight forward application, declined today by one of the mid range building societies due to his line of work and concerns his income will go down.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'm feeling pessimistic on prices. Our oldest is exchanging on their first house this week. I'm also executor for my parents' house which is currently on the market. I'm not expecting many imminent viewings! With such dented personal finances it's hard to see much activity soon.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think house prices will go up massively but up less in real terms.
I'm predicting hyper inflation due to the trillions of cash being printed, leading to mass poverty and large increases in many asset prices. Not all as oil, for example, will not recover for a while.

My opinion will be updated daily and it may change at any time. Germany's economy between the world wars would be a useful comparison but I'm going shopping.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
We were due to exchange contracts this week. I am under house arrest for 2 weeks. We are buying off a developer and doing part exchange for ours. I think it is very unlikely we will go through with it at expected price. I simply can’t afford to take that risk. If they want to do a deal then we can e.g. ten per cent off both properties. I would only lose a few grand based on what we have spent so far. Not ideal but not the time to spend 600k on a house!

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
In the process of selling mine at the moment. Accepted offer a week or so before things got messy, and we're in a short chain (i'm moving to rental for a short while). Hopefully will still all happen. The only thing that really worries me is that I may be one fo those going into the 12 week lockdown if it happens due to health issues, so not sure if that will affect the actual physical move?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The market will find it difficult to sell homes, as people will look to stay where they are due to the uncertainty around wages and future employment until the virus has abated.

Given the antics of Johnson and co - there are likely to be a lot of houses on the market as elderly people die during this pandemic -

And I am sure the Telegraph will be delighted to see the culling of the old taking place.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
As incomes drop - as they surely will if (when) we tip over into recession - then house prices should fall.

There are some other things to consider

1. virtually all asset classes are losing investors - so there's a chance that some of the money fleeing these will find it's way into the housing market;

2 if (when) government debt spirals, there could be a hike in interest rates

3. I've never once called the housing market correctly

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Sales will stall but I can't see prices dropping. Fundamentally there are still lots of people wanting to buy, they are just delaying. And sellers are under no pressure to lower prices.

D

Deleted member 2719

I think the sombrero will invert, as people are scared of their future income, I also believe it to be the end of the high street estate agents and the internet to take 80% of the market with the Hamptons etc surviving.

Just a feeling.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm feeling pessimistic on prices. Our oldest is exchanging on their first house this week. I'm also executor for my parents' house which is currently on the market. I'm not expecting many imminent viewings! With such dented personal finances it's hard to see much activity soon.
I can make a verrrrry reasonable offer

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I suspect house prices will stay very similar to what they currently are. Some people spooked by the 30% drop in the share market will no doubt pull there money out and invest in property. Probably a sensible thing to do. The stock market could take a long time , years to recover. People always need houses and flats to buy to live in.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think the sombrero will invert, as people are scared of their future income, I also believe it to be the end of the high street estate agents and the internet to take 80% of the market with the Hamptons etc surviving.

Just a feeling.

Completely disagree, buyers and sellers need human interaction as property a very personal delicate matter , the internet can’t replicate that . I went to look at a house that was marketed by purple bricks - the communication I had with purple bricks was laughable , some young girl answered , clearly had no idea about the property, couldn’t answer any of my quite normal reasonable questions. If you pay peanuts to sell you get monkeys representing you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here