Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Housing Crisis

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
At its basis a house is somewhere to live. A housing crisis suggests there aren't enough places to live - and I'm pointing out that people hoarding multiple bedrooms may be a reason for this.

But looking at some of the posts on here suggests that we don't have a housing crisis so much as a crisis in shortage of nice 4-bed detached houses with gardens.

Which is very 'first-world problem' isn't it?

I have no doubt that lots of people want to buy these houses for a nice lifestyle, and lots of people want to build these houses to make money, and there is a shortage of both, but dressing it all up as "DISASTER: HOUSING CRISIS!!" seems to me to be a cynical way to get the authorities to release lots of green belt to property developers who initially promise lots of affordable housing but ultimately just squeeze in a couple of flats out the back near where the bins are.

Hoarding a bedroom, an interesting idea. I have a spare room, I'm not hoarding it, I don't intend to pop out and find another to add to my collection. it's also used for many things, a workspace, tv room, storage room but would be described as a bedroom if I were to sell this place.

Not sure where you got the impression this was about 4 bedroom detached properties.

We live in a first world country, would be a bit odd if we had third world problems instead of first world one's.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Hoarding a bedroom, an interesting idea. I have a spare room, I'm not hoarding it, I don't intend to pop out and find another to add to my collection. it's also used for many things, a workspace, tv room, storage room but would be described as a bedroom if I were to sell this place.

Not sure where you got the impression this was about 4 bedroom detached properties.

We live in a first world country, would be a bit odd if we had third world problems instead of first world one's.

:)

Quite. So lets go back to that phrase ' Housing Crisis'. Is it really?

That's the point I'm getting at.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
:)

Quite. So lets go back to that phrase ' Housing Crisis'. Is it really?

That's the point I'm getting at.

Not for me I have a house.

For some without it might be, although I do agree the language may be a little histrionic, or dramatic, but that's the way these days. A hero is now just somebody who helps a little old lady across the street.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
The biggest issue with housing is affordability. I've just moved from Horsham down to Wiltshire. New build 3 bed's in Horsham are going for around £500,000.In Chippenham you're looking at under £300,000. House prices in the South East are extortionate to the point that building has been paused because the developers cannot sell the properties.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So in your mind the ONLY solution is to build more houses? Don't you think at some point in this equation, that impacts on the environment, on flooding, and so on, should be weighed against the desire for people to live in very large houses or to own second homes as 'investments' ?

No, in my mind I don't think the ONLY solution is to build more houses, but I do think that more houses of the right size in the right place at the right price, to either rent or buy, have to be built.
I also believe that there is an supply of uninhabitable properties that could be renovated and reintroduced into the housing stock and I also believe that some of the retail property in our ailing high-streets could be converted into accommodation, thus providing the twofold benefit of both providing housing and bringing back some life to these town centres, that let's face it, have got to go through a huge reinvention if they are not to become 'deserts.'
Additionally, I believe severe cases of Nimbyism by the 'I'm alright Jack' brigade have to be overcome and that a selective release of Green Belt land for development should occur. Not all Green Belt is 'beautiful countryside.
Finally, I am not a second home owner and without knowing all the rules and regulations regarding second homes and /or buy to lets, I understand the tax regime has, in many instances, actively discouraged this. I do ,however, understand that people have invested in property to provide an income for themselves in their dotage so as 'not to be a burden on the state.'
Finally, not all four bedroom houses are very large houses, especially some of the newbuilds!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
that building has been paused because the developers cannot sell the properties.

I would say slowed, not paused - and of course it's completely deliberate on the part of the developers - if they build them fast and can't sell them at the crazy prices they want, the prices will fall.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
There are 800,000 empty in the UK - but it's going to take a Government intent on regenerating the towns/cities where these empty houses are to change that. Not a quick fix to that.

In addition, second homes/investor/ BTL have to be more heavily taxed to make it less appealing. First time buyers often find themselves up against landlords when trying to buy their first property.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
maybe we should have a levy on the number of spare rooms in each dwelling?

i do know what you are getting at, the type of homes we have are not suitable for modern life. not going to change for another half generation or more, until then we could build some suitable housing.

I see. So I work hard, sacrifice and buy a two bedroom house that I live alone in.

But I need to be punished for buying a two bedroom home, and not a one bedroom one.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
There are 800,000 empty in the UK - but it's going to take a Government intent on regenerating the towns/cities where these empty houses are to change that. Not a quick fix to that.

In addition, second homes/investor/ BTL have to be more heavily taxed to make it less appealing. First time buyers often find themselves up against landlords when trying to buy their first property.

I do not own another property but know several that do. Like it or not BTL investors are important to housing and get taxed by additional Stamp Duty, tax on rental income and Capital Gains. If you push these further many will sell up and we have less rental property available. All that will do is push rents even higher.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I do not own another property but know several that do. Like it or not BTL investors are important to housing and get taxed by additional Stamp Duty, tax on rental income and Capital Gains. If you push these further many will sell up and we have less rental property available. All that will do is push rents even higher.

Or maybe they sell up and the property can be purchased by someone who wants to use it as their home, not a commodity to make money from?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
[MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] in shallow, ill-thought-through, stupid opinion shock. :rolleyes:

He really doesn't do any other type of opinion FFS.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
We don't have a housing, population or immigration crisis.

We have a government dealing with money crisis - nothing new there.

There's plenty of housing to go round.
Whether it be unoccupied streets in Middlesbrough available for £10k
Or
Unoccupied streets in London available for £10bn.

There's a 1001 ways to distribute wealth, chances are many are actually cheaper on 'us' than the current system.
But all the time we (very much myself included) live in 'I'm Alright Jack' world, nothing is ever going to change.

I believe this to be the correct answer.

With the exception that it isn't a 'money' crisis that the government is dealing with, it's a 'distribution of wealth' crisis.
And also a bit of a 'we can't keep consuming like we are' crisis.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Or maybe they sell up and the property can be purchased by someone who wants to use it as their home, not a commodity to make money from?

Agree but would still reduce much needed rental stock. Rental property should still be peoples homes.. Just need for Landlords/Tenants to be able to agree for eg 3/5/7 year tenancies. In Germany who seem to get most things right many as a choice rent all there life.and think only 50% own their home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here