Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Houses of Parliament to undergo £4 billion restorations

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
iirc they'e looked at a number of options, this is probably the best/cost effective option.

I recall reading a few years ago that realistically the only other possibility was a site in the Covent Garden area. Whitehall, Downing Street and everything else made even moving to east London a non-starter according to what I read.

I read that there is an Islamic bond on the Richmond House building, but parliamentary lawyers have found a loop-hole so MP's can still drink and put in on expenses though.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We were fortunate to do the tour of it last year (as well as to the top of big ben)

Stunning building and amazing to walk around. I got to see the queens toilet.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's not just an internal refit, the building needs a lot of structural work doing too.

I get that but £4 billion?!? It's an insane amount of money.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
London is the capital of this country and surely it's about time those in the north with a big chip on their shoulder get over it. What happens if it moves to Manchester, won't those in the West Country get jealous, or those in the North East etc etc. You can't please all the people all the time. This country has a magnificent heritage which we should try and preserve. The reason it is going to cost £4b is that not enough has been spent on it over the previous years. Bad planning.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I recall reading a few years ago that realistically the only other possibility was a site in the Covent Garden area. Whitehall, Downing Street and everything else made even moving to east London a non-starter according to what I read.

I read that there is an Islamic bond on the Richmond House building, but parliamentary lawyers have found a loop-hole so MP's can still drink and put in on expenses though.

Plus non-EEC rentboys I assume from now on?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I bet they only got ONE quote. They need to shop around.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:hilton:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why? It is the capital city.
Irrelevant. The seat of the legislature can be anywhere - it doesn't have to be in the capital city - which is in any case over-crowded and over-priced. If they do relocate to the midlands or 'oop north', I would hope they would build a few hundred reasonable, but not luxurious flats, which would be allocated to MPs needing a second home for the duration of their office - none of this making a fortune on second homes and expenses nonsense.
The buildings at Westminster are magnificent, though, and need to be preserved - that won't be cheap, so there is a need to think of a useful purpose for them - I'm sure they're not fit for their current purpose in this day and age - an awful lot has changed since the Palace of Westminster was constructed!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In the last transfer window, 20 English clubs spent more than £1bn on players. Just transfer fees. For one window and there are two every season.

£4bn to tidy up the home of democracy seems a snip by comparison. Move along, there's nothing more to see here... :)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Irrelevant. The seat of the legislature can be anywhere - it doesn't have to be in the capital city - which is in any case over-crowded and over-priced. If they do relocate to the midlands or 'oop north', I would hope they would build a few hundred reasonable, but not luxurious flats, which would be allocated to MPs needing a second home for the duration of their office - none of this making a fortune on second homes and expenses nonsense.
The buildings at Westminster are magnificent, though, and need to be preserved - that won't be cheap, so there is a need to think of a useful purpose for them - I'm sure they're not fit for their current purpose in this day and age - an awful lot has changed since the Palace of Westminster was constructed!

Of course the legislative process can be done outside the capital. Just like the Queen's HQ could be in Telford, but it isn't, and the BBC could base itself in Manchester, oh hang on..........

I know it could be elsewhere, but I feel our tourist industry benefits from tradition above everything else.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Why not just chuck a few grenades through the windows? Preferably when it's full of politicians, bit harsh? Ah well **** it

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Irrelevant. The seat of the legislature can be anywhere - it doesn't have to be in the capital city

it does, the location of government is the definition of captial city.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here