Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House/purchase advise

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
Just remember, unless the rules change you can spend £5k, £10k or £20k on the house, you'll still struggle to achieve more than £250k when you sell it because of the stamp duty threshold. Unless, that is, the market continues to move so that the value is nearer £275k as you'll be beaten down to £250k because of the stamp duty.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
If Simmo is earning £200/£250 a day, he should be able to afford to have a new van.
There are loads of good tradesmen not earning that amount a day, a few years ago when there was no recession maybe, not now i reckon

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
sams dad is a very good builder.

He should charge more.
In forty years of building work, the majority of new estimated work I've seen has been crap.
Unfortunately customers are happy to pay £500.00 quid for a crap job that looks all right instead of £750.00 quid that will last twenty years or more.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Must admit, i'd always pictured Simmo Says turning up in one of these (Blues Brothers, handbrake turn style)

a-team-rc-van.jpg

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Just remember, unless the rules change you can spend £5k, £10k or £20k on the house, you'll still struggle to achieve more than £250k when you sell it because of the stamp duty threshold. Unless, that is, the market continues to move so that the value is nearer £275k as you'll be beaten down to £250k because of the stamp duty.

That is a very good point and one I hadn't considered.

Plenty of considerations for sure.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
If Simmo is earning £200/£250 a day, he should be able to afford to have a new van.
There are loads of good tradesmen not earning that amount a day, a few years ago when there was no recession maybe, not now i reckon

I have to pay my sons wages/my wages/his tax/my tax/employers liability/public liability/his tools/my tools/his clothing/my clothing/my van tax/insurance/my diesel/my accountants fees all out of my PALTRY hourly rate.
I also spend several hours an evening doing estimates and sending out DETAILED bills.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Is there a reason why the bigger one costs less, such as some legal problem, nightmare neighbours etc. My current one was cheaper because it didn't have its own parking, there was an issue about access for the neighbours to get their bins collected, it seemed to be missing some building regulations and the lady wanted a quick sale.

I used to buy the most expensive place I could afford because a 5% increase on a 350k property is a bigger gain than 5% on a 250k one. Also bear in mind that you may not make a lot of profit from redecoration but you probably will if you build an extension, which adds more straight profit cos most people are put off it by the hassle of getting planning and the expense of building it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have to pay my sons wages/my wages/his tax/my tax/employers liability/public liability/his tools/my tools/his clothing/my clothing/my van tax/insurance/my diesel/my accountants fees all out of my PALTRY hourly rate.
I also spend several hours an evening doing estimates and sending out DETAILED bills.
So your £200 is for two of you? sounds like you are also to cheap.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Please send me your builders number---he must be retired to charge that.
£200-£250 a day is more like it!

Haha I know, been telling him for years to put his rate up (excluding me :wink:)
He's a qualified plumber, knows his electrics (not qualified though), chippy, plasterer, all round builder and a perfectionist. He's just scared of loosing work, mainly like has been said people don't appreciate good work!

10k is a bargain for that amount of work, I know someone that paid 4k to have a solid oak floor 5 years back.

IKEA kitchen 4k inc all appliance (would highly recommend great quality for the money + 5 year (apps) + 25 year (units) guarantee.
£600 worchester Bosch combi (trade) + £130 fitting (day)
Did the rewire myself with guidance from a sparky who installed the main board and tested/signed off the work
£1200 flooring - factory direct flooring (again great value and quality)
Rest on plaster, paint and labour.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Location is key from my experience, but you've got to *want* to live in there to begin with.

Mrs Grombleton & I wanted to live in the Horsham area initially, but we couldn't afford the place up there on our wages (I was the sole earner at the time). So we looked in Littlehampton and having little experience of the area, we made sure we bought in a good area first and foremost (we looked at some awesome houses but had heard some stories from local friends that steered us in the right direction).
We're happy where we are; it's our first home (2 bed end of terrace) which is fine for the both of us, we know we'll upgrade eventually when we can afford it (probs 5-10 years) but the house has risen in price already; we managed to buy the house rather cheap compared to the same size/style houses in the area and we've cleared/updated the garden and replaced all the carpets with new.

All we need to do is replace the windows (if anyone knows anyone cheap and quality to do UPVC windows then do shout) and we're set.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not saying he isn't. But good tradesmen should be earning a least £200 a day, that's what I meant.

Really ? I've developed properties ( yes, I know, scum of the earth ) and I have never paid more than £150 a day for a decent tradesman.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Bedrooms are everything, sure en suit is nice and off street parking is great but bedrooms rule. Go for the 3 bed option. Oh and don't be one if those ****s that market their dining room as a bedroom, w@nkers.

You're not buying a house, you're buying a home. You're not buying an investment, you're buying a home.

Buy the one that you prefer as a home and with luck it will turn out to be an investment as well. Mind you, if that goes up by 20% when you sell the one you buy next will also have gone up by 20% so it doesn't make that much difference.

Spending money on a property doesn't necessarily add value. You may put in a new bathroom that a buyer might not like and rip out. I've seen plenty of people spend loads on their property and then wonder why people won't pay the price they ask bearing in mind the amount they have spent.

Golden rule - a house is a home, not an investment. A second house may or may not be an investment but if you only have one house it is your home. Buy the one you want to live in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here