Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House prices to crash

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does anyone know what the effect has been on prices in Brighton and Hove?

I was about to comment on this. f*** all, certainly in Worthing and surrounding areas. For the last 3 years, I've not really seen the prices change, however there has been less for sale and what has been for sale has been shit. There have been chancers, putting up semi-decent property but well above market rate.

Maybe I am missing something, as someone not involved in the industry but as someone that potentially could look to move onto his '2nd' home (was 1st time buyer in 2008) there doesn't seem to much under £250k that I would seriously consider buying.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I was about to comment on this. f*** all, certainly in Worthing and surrounding areas. For the last 3 years, I've not really seen the prices change, however there has been less for sale and what has been for sale has been shit. There have been chancers, putting up semi-decent property but well above market rate.

Maybe I am missing something, as someone not involved in the industry but as someone that potentially could look to move onto his '2nd' home (was 1st time buyer in 2008) there doesn't seem to much under £250k that I would seriously consider buying.

That's the problem - and it's a QUARTER OF A MILLION POUNDS!!! Crazy money!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

There were several factors that led the recovery in 2009. Mostly it was about supply and demand - few houses up for sale, and lots of mugs looking to get a bargain after the 15% fall in the market. So prices were pushed up.

During 2010 this situation changed due to a combination of fewer buyers due mortgage restraints, abolition of HIPs, BTL landlords in financial difficulties, banks offloading recovered properties, and savvy sellers getting out before the crash. So the supply and demand is in reverse and prices are dropping.

At present we are just on the turn and some places may hold up better than others for a while. All this has happened without an inevitable increase in interest rates and the effects of the recent austerity measures. Put that in the pot and you have a potent brew.

I've been hearing some very smelly stories from the States about the fall out from the sub-prime debacle. If they turn out to be true then expect bank lending to dry up and prices to take another serious battering when the news breaks. Hold onto your hats lads, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I've been hearing some very smelly stories from the States about the fall out from the sub-prime debacle. If they turn out to be true then expect bank lending to dry up and prices to take another serious battering when the news breaks. Hold onto your hats lads, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

+1:thumbsup:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Broken Ladder
•The average age of a first time buyer purchasing without financial assistance has now gone up to 37.
•Nearly a third of men and a fifth of women aged 20-34 are living with their parents.
•In 2007 first time buyers’ numbers fell to their lowest level for 30 years, they are yet to recover significantly.

http://www.hip-consultant.co.uk/blog/is-the-property-ladder-broken-123/

larus

If retail prices had soared at the same rate as house prices, a jar of coffee would now cost more than £20! Just goes to show how ridiculous everything has become.

And that just goes to show the stupidity involved with everyone who thinks house price rises are a good thing.

I too think we're going to get a crash/adjustment over the near term. There may be times when we get a dead-cat bounce, but if you read unbiased comments (can recommend http://notayesmanseconomics.wordpress.com/), then you'll see that there's a lot to be concerned about.
Just because you don't want a house price crash, doesn't mean that it's not going to happen.

Add to this the problems with ForeclosureGate in the States (there's also something else doing the rounds out there and the figures are frightening, but I can't remember what it relates to - maybe Uncle C or Lokki can advise), then it's not good.

Oh, then there's the instability within the Eurozone. All that the EU have done is kick the can down the road in terms of Greece, Portugal, Ireland and Spain.

Why does this all matter?; it comes back to the ability of our banks to lend money - simples.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
not CRASHING then

The thread title reads 'House prices to crash'. Thats like a prediction, not a statement of the current situation.

I also supplied the graph so people can follow for themselves where we are in the bubble cycle --- just turning the corner after the return to 'normal'.

If you have the stomach for it, then scan the entire 32 pages of this thread. I dont think you will find anywhere that I have said house prices are crashing.

I have based my postings primarily on facts and data.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

This MERS debacle could ultimately see a number of banks and other financial institutions go belly-up .
Billions & billions of dollars of incorrectly documented mortgage titles with disputed ownership .

This MERS debacle could ultimately see a number of banks and other financial institutions go belly-up .
Billions & billions of dollars of incorrectly documented mortgage titles with disputed ownership .

I have no idea why the stockmarket is so bouyant, none of this downside potential is being priced in. I would not recommend stocks or property as an investment to anyone right now, next year could be messy.

The stock exchange is all relative though. If they are expecting it to be very shit and its only a bit shit, then stocks should go up.

At the moment it is more a case of closing your eyes, crossing your fingers and hoping it all blows away before anyone notices.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Assuming the graph is a cycle, where does 'return to the mean' meet 'take off' and does 'Stealth Phase' directly follow 'Blow Off Phase'?

I assume we have just passed the 'return to normal' at present, and are heading toward 'fear'.

problem with the graph is, you can only apply it retrospectivly. we could for instance be in the bear trap point of a much longer trend. if you follow the site its sourced from, it thinks we've been in this cycle since the 1970's. as true as that might be, we've had three housing bubbles in that time, which dont all show in the graph.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have no idea why the stockmarket is so bouyant, none of this downside potential is being priced in.

growth and low interest rates? if you can get funding, you dont need to pay much for it. private equity buying up lots of company stock, QE has moved money from bonds to shares too. isnt it also a simple outlook that recovery follows recession?

growth and low interest rates? if you can get funding, you dont need to pay much for it. private equity buying up lots of company stock, QE has moved money from bonds to shares too. isnt it also a simple outlook that recovery follows recession?

Growth, well only just. Low interest rates, but businesses and homeowners struggling to get loans. The forclosure debacle looming like a tidal wave about to crash over the 'recovery'. I see a lot more downside potential than up. As stated elsewhere, we could easily see banks under huge strain again over this in the coming months regardless of how it is managed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here