Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House prices to crash

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Becuase they need to come down to normal prices. You know, so people can afford them.

Correct,and I speak as somebody who was fortunate enough to pay his mortgage off before the age of 50.I regard our house as a home and not a 'cash cow'.I just want young people to be able to afford to buy a house,like many of us 'older' posters on this board did years ago!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The biggest problem is the lack of mortgage availability for first time buyers. The average deposit is 25% which is £ 40000 for the first time buy. 9 out of 10, 90% mortgage applications are being declined by some lenders. They charge nearly 7% fixed for 5 years with the bank base rate at 0.5% and charge huge fees as well. This is the reason the market is going backwards. So get your facts straight before you start slagging me off. The mortgage drought has gone on for 3 years and its getting worse and this is why the market has stalled and many people as you say with never be able to buy and will rent for life.

Gross mortgage lending was £ 362 billion in 2007, it was £ 140 billion in 2009 and looks like being even less around £ 130 billion in 2010. Most experts agree £ 250 billion of new lending a year is needed for a functioning property market.

A mortgage is fast becoming a luxury for the privielged few.

I know the deposit is a problem,so all the more reason for prices to drop to a reasonable level of 'affordability'.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The biggest problem is the lack of mortgage availability for first time buyers.

But US, if it was your money, would you give out a 100% mortgage on a property in Brighton ? Because i know that with the market as it is at the moment, i sure as hell wouldn't.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Completely wrong. Allow me...

What is the obsession / desire in this country for house prices to soar? Most odd when, for literally every other product, we don't want prices to rise.

Absolutely spot on!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But US, if it was your money, would you give out a 100% mortgage on a property in Brighton ? Because i know that with the market as it is at the moment, i sure as hell wouldn't.

Nobody should offer 100%+ mortgages. If someone isn't prepared to put some of their own money towards a property then it seems weird that they think a bank should put anything towards it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

...and for a 100% mortgage on a small flat in Brighton, you'd need to be earning £50,000. This is why prices need to fall.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Nobody should offer 100%+ mortgages. If someone isn't prepared to put some of their own money towards a property then it seems weird that they think a bank should put anything towards it.

And with the market as it is at the moment it appears that most institutions believe that the worst scenario would be a crash of 25% hence the 75% mortgages.

I believe it is this that US strongly disagrees with ?

*edit* seeing Notters reply, i believe that most people are now wanting/expecting a further fall. The only exceptions will be people who have bought with little or no deposit in the last few years and will be put into negative equity and people (like US) who rely on the market for their business.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We want stable house prices rises in line with inflation Bozza. A House price crash now is not going to aid the fragile recovery so lets stop this self fulfilling prophecy.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I would allow 90% mortgages with reasonable rates and reasonable fees. 100% mortgages are gone forever.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
*edit* seeing Notters reply, i believe that most people are now wanting/expecting a further fall. The only exceptions will be people who have bought with little or no deposit in the last few years and will be put into negative equity and people (like US) who rely on the market for their business.

I'm certainly wanting it; but not expecting it.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The biggest problem is the lack of mortgage availability for first time buyers.

If mortgage availability was restored overnight this would merely take us back into the bubble. The biggest problem is that houses are far too expensive relative to wages.

The housing crash was postponed due to Quantatative Easing and historically low interest rates. As night follows day it is inevitable.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
We want stable house prices rises in line with inflation Bozza. A House price crash now is not going to aid the fragile recovery so lets stop this self fulfilling prophecy.

House price ned to fall by about 50%.

I mean is as first time buyers house in Hangelton really worth near 300 grand? No its not. Its worth just under 100 grand. But, as people stopped moving they start to build exstentions and rooms in the roof further destroying the first time buyers market.

There are no more first time buyers. No first time buyers noone else can move. What you are left with is stagnation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not saying I want a house price crash.

What I'm saying is that as a nation we seem to have an obsession with house prices soaring. Higher house prices means higher mortgages.

What other 'cost of living expense' do we obsessively encourage to go higher and higher? I don't recall people getting quite so excited when petrol becomes ever more expensive.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Well its just fine wishing that now, after the biggest house price boom in history, but how many people were wishing that 10 years ago, when it would have been achievable with the right interest rate policies and lending criteria.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The biggest problem is the lack of mortgage availability for first time buyers. The average deposit is 25% which is £ 40000 for the first time buy. 9 out of 10, 90% mortgage applications are being declined by some lenders. They charge nearly 7% fixed for 5 years with the bank base rate at 0.5% and charge huge fees as well. This is the reason the market is going backwards.
No, this is a problem, but not the biggest problem by any means.

The biggest problem is that house prices are artifically high - they are way in excess of a level which is affordable to someone on the average wage. Once prices come down, then we can worry about mortgage affordability, and it stands to reason that they should fall.

The problem with them falling too significantly is that it will put a lot of people in negative equity, so perhaps the best outcome will be for house prices to remain flat in actual terms for the best part of a decade while inflation rises at a reasonable rate of 2 or 3% p.a.

Personally I don't understand why a tax isn't made on second homes. Owning a second home needs to be made an unattractive investment opportunity because it contributes nothing to the economy and has driven prices up stupidly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
...and for a 100% mortgage on a small flat in Brighton, you'd need to be earning £50,000. This is why prices need to fall.

It's not that bad.

There are one-bed flats available in Brighton for £100,00 - someone on £30k could get one of those on 100% mortgage. Blimey, I live in a big 4-bed house in a lovely area near an Ofsted-rated outstanding school and that's valued at £215,00 - well within the range of a couple on average earnings.

I agree that house prices are too high and it's tough for first-time buyers and there needs to be some adjustment but don't exaggerate the problems,

larus

What is this obsession / desire in this country for house prices to crash ?. Most odd.

Why this desire/obsession for house prices to rise faster than inflation? Most insane.

Really think about it.

Someone buys a house 40 years ago in London for £100,000. Now it's worth £1,000,000 (excluding the effects of inflation). This person is now a millionaire, for doing jack-shit. Who ends up in debt; the younger generation.

No-one with half a brain-cell can really think that asset inflation is good. If you do, then you really don't understand the basics of economics and you've been fooled into the trap of 'debt is good'.

Really do yourself a favour and learn more about the foolishness of the system as it currently works. A starting point would be http://notayesmanseconomics.wordpress.com/.

Also, read some of the posters comments on the BBC Website on the articles by Robert Peston/Stephanie Flanders. Some interesting insights into the failings of the current 'debt' culture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here