Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

House of fools on in 5 mins BBC 2

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Is it one of those shows that, if it was a brand new comedy on BBC3 and you had never heard of any of the actors, you would think is terrible?

But because it's V&B it's good?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is it one of those shows that, if it was a brand new comedy on BBC3 and you had never heard of any of the actors, you would think is terrible?

Because they're phenomenally good at that sort of comedy?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Even if this was a brand new comedy starting from scratch with unknown actors, if it was any good word of mouth would bring it to a wider audience. I'd like to think that if you work hard and are funny eventually you will get recognition. Mind you, that still does not explain Miranda.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

I'd say i went a bit the other way with this one. I expected embarrassment, and it was delivered in a way, and for them to be wildly past their best, but the imagery and prattling and just the dramatic north-eastern pronunciation of Conan the Barbarian really had me laughing.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Because they're phenomenally good at that sort of comedy?

I agree. I've not watched it yet but I've seen the adverts and, although I'm a HUGE fan of Shooting Stars my initial reaction (again, only to an advert) was "I imagine this would only work because it's them".

Not Going Out is the closest sitcom I can think of where its joke a minute and not horrendous (in my opinion obviously). I saw a SNIPPET of Mrs Browns Boys and wanted to jump off a bridge and also that other one about Khan. Bloody hell.

I look forward to watching this though. I just hope I don't convince myself I like it BECAUSE it's got Vic and Bob and Matt Berry (who is brilliant), and actually enjoy the programme regardless.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree. I've not watched it yet but I've seen the adverts and, although I'm a HUGE fan of Shooting Stars my initial reaction (again, only to an advert) was "I imagine this would only work because it's them".

Not Going Out is the closest sitcom I can think of where its joke a minute and not horrendous (in my opinion obviously). I saw a SNIPPET of Mrs Browns Boys and wanted to jump off a bridge and also that other one about Khan. Bloody hell.

I look forward to watching this though. I just hope I don't convince myself I like it BECAUSE it's got Vic and Bob and Matt Berry (who is brilliant), and actually enjoy the programme regardless.

I totally understand your point though. Most shows like this are unwatchable. I enjoyed MOST of it, and will give episode 2 a try.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I quite enjoyed it. It was mostly very funny, again because it's Vic and Bob they inherently get away with it. Had flashes of the old Vic & Bob from their Big Night Out and " The Smell Of" days. I imagine it's the sort of material they come up with all the time when together and just thought they'd stick them in a house together and hang it all off that.

Matt Berry always improves the shows he is in. I saw an interview with him some while back and he is quite a talented musician, having released some well received albums and does a fair bit of the music for TV. He was ,imo, the best thing about the IT Crowd when he joined.
He was brilliant in his sketch show as the guy who kept up trying to chat up women until he found out they had a boyfriend when he would say loudly "F*ck You"! and immediately drop the tray of drinks/fish tank/dog and walk off.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Watched HoF a second time - really funny.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Watched HoF a second time - really funny.

Think I'm going to do the same.

One of my favourite Vic and Bob Sketches was Barons Nightclub, Hulls 4th best premier night club (filmed in Eastbourne )

Always hoped they'd bring back Paul Baron, his Chinese brother Tony and Kinky John :lolol:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Brilliant! Painful to watch the last sequence when Vic was extracted from the hole in the wall. Funny as **** though. Surreal humour for R&M.

Liked the live audience touch too, ala Mrs Brown's Boys. The future of staged comedy maybe?

TNBA

TTF

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

This was my take on it. I'm on the fence about it currently, I'll give it another go.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
The canned laughter takes the shine of it a bit. Would it not work with a live studio audience.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The canned laughter takes the shine of it a bit. Would it not work with a live studio audience.

It was a live audience apparently, nothing canned about that laughter.

I absolutely loved it. The bit when he was stuck in the hole nearly made me WET myself laughing.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
It was a live audience apparently, nothing canned about that laughter.

I absolutely loved it. The bit when he was stuck in the hole nearly made me WET myself laughing.

I thought it was great but I am sure there was canned laughter, as well as the live audience. What I meant was, just leave it as the live audience and don't add any canned laughter.

Puerile schoolboy type humour relying a lot on bodily function gags and predatory female clichés from '70's sitcom, and little removed from shows such as the "Young One" and their early stuff.

.....You have probably guessed that I absolutely loved it, extracting Vic from the hole was painfully funny at several levels!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Think I'm going to do the same.

One of my favourite Vic and Bob Sketches was Barons Nightclub, Hulls 4th best premier night club (filmed in Eastbourne )

Always hoped they'd bring back Paul Baron, his Chinese brother Tony and Kinky John :lolol:

Vic's brother Bosh in HoF is clearly a development on Vic's bouncer character at The Club. Superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here