Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Hot curries

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Dhansak for me. I do like slightly sweeter curries but medium heat.

Iceland do a Slimming World vegetable dhal which is very easily turned into a dhansak with some chicken, a few spices and a bit of sugar

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Having spent two stints working in India and nearly three years living in Taiwan, where the use of spice can be even greater, I can take pretty much whatever heat a dish throws at me. It has to be tasty as well though.

In Taiwan a chilli beef soup was a regular and there was also a cafe we used that us English speaking ex-pats referred to as the "Nuclear Wok". Go in, order and the blokes would have it cooked and ready in about ninety seconds. We used to go in there with a translator and she always seemed to say a bit more than what we'd ordered so one day me and this American guy asked what she was saying. Apparently she was telling them to go easy on the chilli because we were Western. We told her next time we went not to say that but for him to serve it as he would to the locals. It's the spiciest thing I've ever had though absolutely delicious and full of flavour. Afterwards I felt like Homer Simpson after he ate the world's hottest chilli and my bum was like the Japanese flag for two days.

These days we get takeaway Indian from Tulsi in Hangleton and my go to is the Bhatak Masala Vindaloo which comes in a very spicy South Indian sauce and is full of whole little red chillies. Since the part of India I was in first of all was the south (Chennai) it's a flavour I'm quite used to and can discern. For anyone who like very spicy food that is also delicious it's highly recommended.

Phal, on the other hand, is just a challenge food for drunk ruggerbuggers.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Quite enjoyed a vindaloo but madras is as far as taste and spice for me goes, after that’s it gets a bit silly.

Remember Jasper Carrot brilliantly surmising post eating a Phal by saying next day his arse “felt like that that map at the beginning of Bonanza”

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Having spent two stints working in India and nearly three years living in Taiwan, where the use of spice can be even greater, I can take pretty much whatever heat a dish throws at me. It has to be tasty as well though.

In Taiwan a chilli beef soup was a regular and there was also a cafe we used that us English speaking ex-pats referred to as the "Nuclear Wok". Go in, order and the blokes would have it cooked and ready in about ninety seconds. We used to go in there with a translator and she always seemed to say a bit more than what we'd ordered so one day me and this American guy asked what she was saying. Apparently she was telling them to go easy on the chilli because we were Western. We told her next time we went not to say that but for him to serve it as he would to the locals. It's the spiciest thing I've ever had though absolutely delicious and full of flavour. Afterwards I felt like Homer Simpson after he ate the world's hottest chilli and my bum was like the Japanese flag for two days.

These days we get takeaway Indian from Tulsi in Hangleton and my go to is the Bhatak Masala Vindaloo which comes in a very spicy South Indian sauce and is full of whole little red chillies. Since the part of India I was in first of all was the south (Chennai) it's a flavour I'm quite used to and can discern. For anyone who like very spicy food that is also delicious it's highly recommended.

Phal, on the other hand, is just a challenge food for drunk ruggerbuggers.

Tulsi do really decent curries for lovers of both hot …… and whimps like me !

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I used to deliver curry for a shop when I was a student, being used to eating hot Indian food all my life, my gran on mother's side was Indian, the owner used to make me what he called a Tindaloo to take home.
That was nice and hot.
I used to eat Madras regularly when there as it was usually hot, but not too hot, with Bombay potatoes.
Over here Madras is full of coconut and I don't like coconut or any fruit in my curry, so have to choose other sorts.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
“If you’ve ever noticed a funny feeling when you eat spicy food, you’re not just imagining things. Capsaicin, the compound that makes hot peppers hot, causes your brain to release chemicals that make some people feel buzzed or high.

Helix, a magazine and blog at Northwestern University explains that spiciness is actually not a taste but a sensation caused by capsaicinoids. In really simple terms, these compounds send a message to your brain that make it think it’s in pain. As a response, your brain releases endorphins and dopamine.”

I’ve had chilli before where the pain was so intense, my body thought that I had major burns! My whole face and mouth suddenly went numb, you could have removed a tooth and I’d not have felt it; I was a high as a kite.

When I was a young man I ate a very hot chilli as a challenge and felt like I was tripping for about an hour afterwards. Was lying down and completely out of it. Used to do a lot of drugs back then and it was a very similar feeling!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Anything that demands I put the toilet rolls in the fridge overnight for use the next morning is OUT OUT OUT nowadays.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm an utter whimp when it comes to hot food. Love spices when they make something 'tangy' but hot ..... no thanks. I'm not sure what there is to enjoy if it sets your mouth on fire and blows your head off ?

Tulsi do really decent curries for lovers of both hot …… and whimps like me !

Not sure why you think you are a whimp ( wimp ) because you don't eat hot curry. ???
I don't think anyone that eats hot spicy food is tough or hard, nobody has ever impressed me by saying they eat hot curry.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
My mate owns Wildfire Chilli over here and once at his house when drunk I made the mistake of eating what I thought was a cherry tom, it turned out to be a Ghost Chilli and it gave me quite a surprise.
It looked so innocent.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
The naga curries at Shanaz in Lewes are great. Much hotter than any vindaloo I've tried and spicy enough to give you the high and make you question your sanity, but also so flavoursome you want to keep eating even when your senses are screaming at you to stop. It's rare in my experience to find a curry that's got that combo of spice and flavour just right.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
There's an Indian restaurant in Sheffield that's been there 20 years+ and looks like a complete hovel. Crappy plastic chairs, like a school cafeteria from 1986 and food served in the sort of green plastic bowls that would have also been appropriate there.

However, it's actually superb, ridiculously cheap and you could get beer from the pub across the road and take it in.

The relevance to this thread however is that they did a dish called "Chicken (or prawn or whatever) Silly Hot" which a mate of mine thought would be a good idea to try as he "could eat anything hot".

As soon as it was served we all knew that he'd made a horrific error as it looked like a radioactive spill. He ate about a quarter of it and was crying with the heat, then had to go home and was ill for a day and a half. :lolol:

Pretty sure they just put it on the menu to take the piss out of stupid English people.

I grew some chillies this summer and **** me the Chocolate Habanero ones were good / dangerous.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I grew some chillies this summer and **** me the Chocolate Habanero ones were good / dangerous.

vegster gave me some he grew this year....... smashing taste.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, my hottest was one I made myself with scotch bonnet chillies. I took one mouthful and went into a spasm of painful hiccoughs. I diluted the whole curry down fourfold with water and cocoanut milk, but it was so devastating I had to bin it.

And I made the mistake of nipping to the loo and forgetting to wash my chef's hands first :facepalm::mad:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm the opposite to most on this thread. It's mild curries I can't handle. In fact they led to me being hospitalised once. Apparently I was found lying in a korma. Tho it is believed that the condition is hereditary. My naan was the same.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I love hot spicy food sadly I have never found any resturant in the UK that meets my desired heat level it got to the point I was only ordering Phall and requesting it to be made hotter and it still was to my taste fairly mild, I don't do this for attention I know my desire for spice is outside the bounds of normality and assume I have an under developed set of heat receptors on my tongue it's not big it's not cleaver as most food just tastes bland I put chilly on almost everything, I have undertaken (at the behest of family and friends) over the years loads of these challenges that resturants put on including the burger chilly in Brighton a couple of years back the one where an ambulance was called for the guy who was on big brother another I had to sign a disclaimer before undertaking it they wanted me to wear gloves and goggles!

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
When I visit the UK I make a point of taking my kids to Brick Lane London where there are several curry houses. We negotiate with the guys on the street for starters, main course, popodams, rice and bread. Usually comes to around 12 quid a head plus no corkage on the wine which we take in with us. Superb night out.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, what curry beat you?
I like a bit of spice, but even a Madras from a restaurant is too hot for me (at least last time I tried).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Off to the chilli pickle for my birthday this evening, lovely!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here