Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hospitals in Preston

D

Deleted User X18H

There is building at the end of Tivoli Crescent which sits high above Preston Park , you know where the steps are that lead to Hampstead Road? That looks like a candidate. Or one of the big properties on the west side of Preston Road.

D

Deleted User X18H

When we lived in Downs Park we were told by an elderly local chap that Foredown Hospital was an isolation hospital.

I think dear old Nan had TB / Consumption. She survived....................obviously. (Many will wish she hadn't.... there I have said it for you)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Perhaps a visit to Jubilee St Library may throw up something , not everything is online and information might be contained in books and local records , newspapers etc.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Thanks for everybody's help! It is just confusing the history around this person. Her family left Hove shortly after she died, and apparently they never returned at all. She was completely forgotten, which I find sad. I am presuming she died of Small Pox or some other contagious disease which was rampant in children during that time, but I am unsure. I tried to get hold of a death certificate, but they couldn't locate it (and I had the index reference!) maybe it will pop through the post at some point. It isn't through any family relation here, it is genuine interest when I walked through Preston Park Cemetery on the way to college many years ago, and events that have happened since then. Its just history is so fascinating. For a start, why buried in Preston as opposed to Hove, seems confusing since she was from there. Although sadly until I locate a death certificate or a burial record I will never know. Only reference to here is in history books, but that is a passing reference to her just dying in Preston, and that's it.

The parish of Preston stretched as far as Race Hill. The Brighton Borough Sanitorium (in Bevendean Road) may well have been in Preston parish.

- - - Updated - - -

When did she die?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
http://www.oldmaps.co.uk

The earliest large scale OS maps can be found on this site (1876 at 1:2500 scale). It may throw up something. As someone has already mentioned the old parish of Preston stretched from what is now Hove Park to Bear Road. If it was somewhere for contagious diseases then it may be worth looking for isolated buildings as the Victorians used to place them away from built up areas. Remember also that during that period all of health and education was in private hands, the state did not provide at all, meaning anybody could set up as a hospice if they had a little money behind them.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I found this which claims it was in Preston Parish? Borough Sanatorium

Was it? If so, where was it located?

There is a reference to Bear Road , Preston , Brighton on a single surname family history website when googling Brighton Borough Sanatorium. Not sure if this would tie in with the timeline though.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
http://www.oldmaps.co.uk

The earliest large scale OS maps can be found on this site (1876 at 1:2500 scale). It may throw up something. As someone has already mentioned the old parish of Preston stretched from what is now Hove Park to Bear Road. If it was somewhere for contagious diseases then it may be worth looking for isolated buildings as the Victorians used to place them away from built up areas. Remember also that during that period all of health and education was in private hands, the state did not provide at all, meaning anybody could set up as a hospice if they had a little money behind them.

Apologies gave the wrong link above, should be

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Also, it is highly unlikely she was a lunatic. I checked census records from 1871 (about a year before she died) and she was not a lunatic, or listed on there at least. She was still in her home in hove.

If she were a lunatic, she would have been shipped off to St Francis in Haywards Heath I would guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here