Hoskins to Bournemouth - allegedly a fee has been agreed [merged]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
We lose a great player who's getting back to full fitness and we're making a 50k loss, what's the point..

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Have I missed something? When did Bournemouth become cash rich? 500k is a lot of money for any club in that division.

Got some new Russian (?) owners now. Odd investment really, if you ask me, Bournemouth have always been a club with finite potential, and I can't ever really see them getting much bigger, no matter how much money they chuck at players.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Sell CMS, are you insane?! I hope this rumour is not true. But only if we've got suitable replacement coming in to replace Hoskins then it could be ideal...

I'm completely sane. If we were offered our money back for CMS I would take it in an instant. Massively over rated imo. I know I am in a minority

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Hmmm. Still would be suprised if it happened - looks like its up to him.

Agree that Vokes would be a good replacement if it does happen. Being a Bournemouth fan, its still a bit weird buying players. The debate here is whether its money from our co-owner (the ruskie) or just the transfer money we got last year for about 7 players!!

Pretty sure the wage structure has changed though..it must have.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Don't forget that with Hoskins fit and on the bench, Gus chose to put Adgestein on last Saturday.

Still seems a bit short sighted to sell though, unless we need the extra cash for someone else (please not Kitson).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Annoying for him, annoying for us. But if we now have Torby as a cheap option, letting Hoskins go and bringing in someone else does make some sort of sense. We won't be able to conclude whether or not it's a good piece of business until we see his replacement. Whatever happens, I'll be sad to see him go as I was really excited about him and I don't think we ever saw what he was capable of.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Somebody- wish I could remember who now- suggested a few weeks ago that Hoskins was signed at John Stephenson's behest, and wasn't necessarily Gus's pick. I thought it was a LOB at the time, and having seen the player score twice against us at the Memorial Stadium last season, I'd certainly be surprised if Poyet was never interested in him, but maybe there was something in the rumour after all?

Looking at it from that angle it makes a bit better sense, I suppose. But I would definitely prefer him to stay, if we use that money to bring Kitson in. Given half a chance, WH could bang in a few goals in for us. It makes it worse, knowing that we agreed a fee without his knowledge.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I'm not as surprised by this as most.

We signed Hoskins very early on and at that time we and Gus would never have thought we had a chance of signing CMS and I would imagine the plan was for Hoskins to lead the attack. Having then somehow signed CMS and declared that we were going to build the team around him I would have thought Gus' plans for Hoskins and the team changed then.

I like Hoskins as a player from what I've seen and would be a bit disapointed to see him go but I have 100% faith in any decision Gus/Tony make and always think its going to work out for the best for the club.

I am in 100% agreement with this.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Don't forget that with Hoskins fit and on the bench, Gus chose to put Adgestein on last Saturday.

Still seems a bit short sighted to sell though, unless we need the extra cash for someone else (please not Kitson).

True. But as you say it's very short sighted to decide Hoskins is surplus to requirements based on Adgestein only making a few appearances

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Looking at it from that angle it makes a bit better sense, I suppose. But I would definitely prefer him to stay, if we use that money to bring Kitson in. Given half a chance, WH could bang in a few goals in for us. It makes it worse, knowing that we agreed a fee without his knowledge.
Players get sold all the time without them knowing or forced out of their club. They are often last to hear about it. It's nothing new to football.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
When did they become rich?
When the Russians moved in.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
When did that happen?

Don't know, you'd have to ask the AFCB fan on this thread. Am not really surprised Matt Tubbs (apparently) turned them down at this stage, with his record, you'd have thought he'd get an offer from a bigger or higher placed club. Hard to imagine him leaving Crawley for Bournemouth, though I guess he is from down that way so maybe that'd play a part.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Annoying for him, annoying for us. But if we now have Torby as a cheap option, letting Hoskins go and bringing in someone else does make some sort of sense. We won't be able to conclude whether or not it's a good piece of business until we see his replacement. Whatever happens, I'll be sad to see him go as I was really excited about him and I don't think we ever saw what he was capable of.

This sums up my thoughts on the matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports