Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hopefully the end of Connolly

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes and no. All those players share two things:

1) They were outstanding youngsters, destined to be world class.
2) They played for teams who were strong so they could be bled in slowly.

We need players who can contribute right now.

Calvert Lewin .... destined to be world class?

Until a year ago, he’d been despised on Everton forums for years as substandard.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It’s not like it was a massive boob on Potter’s part to put him in the first squad, and not send him on loan. There was positive noise about him at the time.
But it would be a mistake not to make changes now.
Connolly, for his own good, needs to drop down a level, score some goals and then come back,
He’s still young enough for a full reset.
The danger is that he becomes a at best a poor man’s Shane Long - a busy striker who scores 12 goals in 150 appearances or whatever.
He can do better, but may need to take a step back first and reinvent himself.
I really hope he does this and makes good on his potential at the Albion, and not somewhere else.

If Connolly turns out as good as Shane Long then Brighton will have one hell of a player on their hands. Long is one of the most underrated players in the PL and has been his entire career, quiet, unassuming and the ultimate team player - and he is still one of the quickest players on the pitch at 33 years of age. It is absolutely gob-smacking that Stephen Kenny has repeatedly left Long out of the Irish squad since taking over.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I think I may be repeating what somebody has already said on here, but loaning him to a Championship club could be very damaging for his morale seeing as he has been a PL squad member for 18 months. If he could go to a Bundesliga or La Liga club perhaps? Develop his game at a club of a decent level but with less pressure?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here