Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hope for Barnes, worry for Wilf

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I hope Barnes gets a huge ban and we get rid. Nothing to do with his quality of football, just purely because of his poor discipline. However, part of the blame has to be put on Poyet. He has simply not punished Barnes for his previous attitude on the pitch so Barnes has just carried on acting like a prat.

:bowdown:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
He wasn't kicked all over the park.
He was trying to win penalties, as he's always had a tendency do try and do, by complaining for fouls that were non existant. He had a poor game, was ineffective, and after 2 penalty refusals (both times holding his head as if he'd been shot) he jumped up and chased the referee 40 yards giving abuse.
He did exactly the same thing at Hillsborough, didn't get the decision, and lost his temper immediately and got himself sent off.

He's now missed a minimum of 7 games (possibly more if ban is increased) because of petulance and a terrible temper. That's a lot of games. Not saying get rid, but i'm not sure how many chances we should give him. The lads probably earnt 50k in wages whilst being banned, this season alone.

He's a bit Oscar Pistorious temperwise but let's face facts - he hasn't pumped anyone with lead. We need players like Barnes in our squad and yes one would hope he calms down as he gets older

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's hardly surprising Gus hasn't chastised him publicly so far. If he admits there was a deliberate attempt to trip the ref, the FA will have every excuse to throw the book at Barnes. The lack of complaint speaks volumes anyway - but no point stirring the pot at all until the decision is made on his ban - we need it to be the fewest games possible.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He's a bit Oscar Pistorious temperwise but let's face facts - he hasn't pumped anyone with lead. We need players like Barnes in our squad and yes one would hope he calms down as he gets older

No No No No No......we do not need players like Barnes. He is a rotten apple. He is undermining everything this club is working towards. He is like a selfish, spoilt brat that throws a tantrum every time something doesn't go in his favour. He is immature and unstable and clearly has issues. He is not made to be a professional sportsman. Being professional is all about staying in control and working as a team. He gives no thought to his actions and the damage they cause. He is self-obsessed and takes every opportunity to cheat. He is the archetypal playground sneak, running to teacher to drop classmates in it or complaining if he feels he is being bullied. Petulance and ignorance has no place in this club.
I still wouldn't like him as a character even if he was multi-talented. He's not. Just a journeyman player, with poor first touch, a poor header of the ball and the ability to miss sitter after sitter. He gets a few goals at this level but then so do a few others.
You can hope all you like about him calming down but he won't. He can't. Its his nature. He is already a father but it has made no difference to his behaviour. Its in his make-up forever. He will be just the same at 33.
The club now has the opportunity to send a message to all its supporters and players that behaviour like this will not be tolerated. We pay good money to follow this club and we don't want to see irresponsibility continually damaging our team. I'll be very surprised if there is any support left for him in the dressing room.
There needs to be a lengthy ban and fine from the FA. The club then need to get rid so he can start afresh somewhere else with his petulance and his vendettas. If the manager won't support this action, then TB has to move him on as well.
An employee who brings his company into disrepute usually picks up his P45 pretty soon afterwards. I don't see any difference here.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think all the time he is a Brighton player he should be supported. Yes he is petulant and foolish.

I would like to see all banned players not get paid if the club doesn't appeal.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't think our main coaches being Gus, Oatway and Tariccio helps calm him down and sort out his disciplinary problems

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
my money's zaha getting away with a warning, Barnes getting a longer ban :nonon:

So hard done by. Barnes deliberately (albeit very softly) attempted to jokingly trip the ref. Zaha responded to alledged racial taunts (I only heard anti Man Utd and general personal insults personally). The FA will always protect refs.

DOn't think you will miss Barnes though - he isn't very good is he? Only playing due to your striker injury jinx.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Daily Mirror saying Wilf highly likely to get a ban this morning and been called in for his charge. No idea if that would mean missing Sunday or another game though.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Absolutely astonished some people can still defend the tosser after he's let you all down TWICE in recent weeks.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
I hope Barnes gets a huge ban and we get rid. Nothing to do with his quality of football, just purely because of his poor discipline. However, part of the blame has to be put on Poyet. He has simply not punished Barnes for his previous attitude on the pitch so Barnes has just carried on acting like a prat.

How do you know Gus hasn't punished him before? It would hardly be broadcasted to us. I think Barnes has the Joey Barton disease... the ol' red mist comes over him and he's out of control. I don't think it will ever leave him... which is a shame because I'm pro Ash really.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Has anyone actually ever been banned for making a gesture at fans? Nothing seemed to happen to Kazim-Richards when he made homophobic gestures to our fans.

Edit: apparently Suarez was banned for one match for a similar thing.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
No No No No No......we do not need players like Barnes. He is a rotten apple. He is undermining everything this club is working towards. He is like a selfish, spoilt brat that throws a tantrum every time something doesn't go in his favour. He is immature and unstable and clearly has issues. He is not made to be a professional sportsman. Being professional is all about staying in control and working as a team. He gives no thought to his actions and the damage they cause. He is self-obsessed and takes every opportunity to cheat. He is the archetypal playground sneak, running to teacher to drop classmates in it or complaining if he feels he is being bullied. Petulance and ignorance has no place in this club.
I still wouldn't like him as a character even if he was multi-talented. He's not. Just a journeyman player, with poor first touch, a poor header of the ball and the ability to miss sitter after sitter. He gets a few goals at this level but then so do a few others.
You can hope all you like about him calming down but he won't. He can't. Its his nature. He is already a father but it has made no difference to his behaviour. Its in his make-up forever. He will be just the same at 33.
The club now has the opportunity to send a message to all its supporters and players that behaviour like this will not be tolerated. We pay good money to follow this club and we don't want to see irresponsibility continually damaging our team. I'll be very surprised if there is any support left for him in the dressing room.
There needs to be a lengthy ban and fine from the FA. The club then need to get rid so he can start afresh somewhere else with his petulance and his vendettas. If the manager won't support this action, then TB has to move him on as well.
An employee who brings his company into disrepute usually picks up his P45 pretty soon afterwards. I don't see any difference here.

Wow. You get all this from watching him play football?

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
I did see somewhere that the FA were loathe to act based on still images with this sort of thing. They would need video evidence. Having said that Wilf has apologised for the gesture on his Twitter which is a bit public and could negate the need for evidence.

Who knows what those FA guys think, or if they think at all.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The FA are so inconsistent with these things how it will be madness if Zaha gets banned for a match whilst that **** Ferdinand gets off Scott free and the bigger **** CKR gets out with mimiking a cock to arse gesture to watching children. Although I suppose the police might still be investigating that before the FA can do anything.

Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted if we didn't have to face Zaha but the FA are a bunch of wankers.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
How do you know Gus hasn't punished him before? It would hardly be broadcasted to us. I think Barnes has the Joey Barton disease... the ol' red mist comes over him and he's out of control. I don't think it will ever leave him... which is a shame because I'm pro Ash really.

Well, When Barnes last got sent off(Sheff Wed Away was it?) Poyet stated that he will not punish Barnes as that is just the way he is and Poyet accepts that. I am sorry, but that just sends the wrong message to that kinda player. However, you are right about Barnes in th sense he does have that red mist syndrome

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here